Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Went TT shopping this weekend 8-(
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Went TT shopping this weekend 8-(

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

FrankShore wrote:

Quality is a rare bird in a sea on cheap junk - That's why I finally settled on a Lance. Yes, they're spendy but if you look on YouTube you'll see videos that show the quality of craftsmanship.

Yet Lance has it's share of disappointed owners as well. [emoticon]

Not to offend anyone but Lance was my biggest disappointment. I took a buddy that was in the market to look at new Lance trailers since they are so highly thought of by some. After looking at them he thought I was nuts.
They were ALL put together terrible with lots of broken and damaged parts and panels. Even if they fixed everything they were clearly built very cheaply.
On the positive side they have low height and are lightweight.

He finally decided on an Arctic Fox but it has had quality and engineering issues as well.

With all that said, I could write an almost equally disparaging report on my 32A (albeit without the damage and broken parts).

My post is only to show that no TT is what I personally would call good quality.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first trailer was entry level, it truly was junk. Our current trailer is a mid-tier. Although it won't win any awards,it is "reasonable". If you set your expectations on "reasonable" (and are still a little forgiving), you can find something.

I always council friends considering TT's that you shouldn't do it unless you are willing and able to do almost any maintenance/repair yourself.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Rollin'Ragu' YouTube Channel

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you think of a TT as a "throwaway" item to be used for a few years and then discarded like an old pair of shoes, you won't be disappointed. [emoticon]

If you want quality and are handy, build yourself a good trailer! [emoticon]

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonerWing03 wrote:

We went and looked at 4 different dealerships this weekend and I was unimpressed to say the least. Going into the weekend I was 95% sure that I would be purchasing a TT in the coming months but now I am about 25%.

My initial thought: They are all the same, just with different stickers and they are all flimsy. I mean I saw divots in walls, wall paper pealing, trim pushing off the walls etc. And this was on units that were open for customers to walk through. If I can see it, without thoroughly inspecting one, surely they can as well.

Today I am feeling overwhelmed and disheartened.

Welcome to the travel trailer world for most of us. It is what it is, so do your research. We settled on the Jayco White Hawk line because they seem to be a slight grade up. There are others right there as well. Even these have flaws and bad workmanship. You just need to go above the entry level units, spend a little more, look carefully and make sure the dealer is as close as possible.

Beyond that, go with Lance, Airstream and others but be prepared to pay 2-3 times as much.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 12:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my kids are looking also and they say the same thing, junk and not cheap. face it I've said it a hundred times on here, building a tt is not rocket science. they have a quota and they simply throw them together faster than you can blink an eye

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 01:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailer_newbe wrote:

SoonerWing03 wrote:

We went and looked at 4 different dealerships this weekend and I was unimpressed to say the least. Going into the weekend I was 95% sure that I would be purchasing a TT in the coming months but now I am about 25%.

My initial thought: They are all the same, just with different stickers and they are all flimsy. I mean I saw divots in walls, wall paper pealing, trim pushing off the walls etc. And this was on units that were open for customers to walk through. If I can see it, without thoroughly inspecting one, surely they can as well.

Welcome to the travel trailer world for most of us. It is what it is, so do your research. We settled on the Jayco White Hawk line because they seem to be a slight grade up. There are others right there as well. Even these have flaws and bad workmanship. You just need to go above the entry level units, spend a little more, look carefully and make sure the dealer is as close as possible.

Beyond that, go with Lance, Airstream and others but be prepared to pay 2-3 times as much.

Entry Level? What defines that? Price? Weight? opinion?

I can buy a stick and tin 29' bunkhouse out the door for 16K, or some higher priced 29' heavier top o the line rig for $35K. They will have the same crappy frame from Lippert, the same borderline running gear, the same wall panels manufactured in the same location, and plenty of the same other components. They will aso both be slapped together by a bunch of pieceworkers in record time without any resemblence of a post build inspection. Its out the door, over to the staging yard, and off to the dealer. Entry level is nothing more than personal opinion.

And be prepared to have a lot of the same issues by paying 2-3 times as much. I was behind a gent with a new Lance at a state park, while he was filling his freshwater tank. I had to run over and tell the poor guy he had water pouring from his entry door and starting to come through the wall at the rear skirting. We pulled a panel to find that Lance sort of forgot to put a clamp on the gravity fill tube at the fill port. He paid 2-3 times as much for the experience.

I've looked at Lance in detail while shopping for new trailers and at shows, and a few Northwoods and Artic Fox also, but they're few and far between in this area of the country. If you think you're getting something much better than what else is out there for that price premium, go right on thinking it if it makes you feel better. We almost pulled the trigger on a 29' Northwood Nash. Turns out the interior workmanship was worse than our current 2017 Rockwood.

There is also plenty of sheety workmanship in an Airstream if you know what you're looking at.

* This post was edited 06/13/18 03:03am by Ralph Cramden *

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonerWing03 wrote:

What brands and dealers?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonerWing03 wrote:

We went and looked at 4 different dealerships this weekend and I was unimpressed to say the least.

2012Coleman wrote:

What brands and dealers?

Generally poor manufacturing quality and inadequate dealer support is an RV industry wide issue so it doesn't really matter, does it? [emoticon]

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I have seen representatives of most TT manufacturers in the past few years. Most of them are put together the same way, regardless of the company. When you look closely, there are problems with them all. If the quality of the RV is is going to matter to you to the point of distraction, then this may not be what you should be doing.
I try to keep ours in good shape and I am not a maintenance fanatic. We are in out third year with this one with very few manufacturer defects, all minor and fairly easily corrected. More than likely, anything that goes wrong from this point on will probably be my fault.
All is not doom and gloom, just accept the fact, if you can, that just about any TT you buy will not be perfect. But it could be perfect for how you will use it.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2008 Nissan Frontier CC 4WD
Andersen Hitch

epeters

SW Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Check out Outdoors RV and Northwood products.

I second this one, but not sure if there are any dealers in your area. They are a smaller manufacturer, build their own frames. While no RV manufacturer makes a perfect non-trouble free unit every time, they are one of the better ones out there.

We owned a Starcraft for 10 years. Cheap, slapped together (doors on cabinets were crooked, the wood was paper veneered and bubbled loose) etc, but we enjoyed it thoroughly as functionally we never had an issue.

The Nash we bought last year is in a whole different league. Very pleased. Cabinets are real wood, everything is straight. Well thought out design; well insulated (true 4 season); good features without being "blingy".

Erik

DW, DS, DD
2018 Nash 29S
2017 GMC Sierra
Retired --> 2004 Silverado Crewcab 1500
2008 Starcraft Antiqua - traded in
2003 Fleetwood Mesa - gone
Photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Went TT shopping this weekend 8-(
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS