Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do small 5th wheel toy haulers tow well?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Do small 5th wheel toy haulers tow well?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
AKMac

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, I'm new here.

Long story, but I purchased a new 2019 Genesis Supreme Vortex 2715V in April. I am towing it with a 2007 CC LB SRW 3500 Chevy and and have a RZR XP4 loaded in the garage. The hitch is a reese WD 15,000lb hitch, and through trial and error I have adjusted the trailer to be about 4" nose low which is what I think is about the limit of where it should be.

The sway issues and general instability have me thinking I should have gone with a 5th wheel instead. The truck litterally feels like it is being pushed all the time. There is no relaxing with it. My dad following behind me in his rig said that one sway pushed the trailer into the other lane.

I have read all the posts saying I should move weight around, etc but with a RZR XP4 I don't have much room to change the loading. We dry camp and I have to take water with me as well. I'm sort of out of options other than trying one of the super expensive hitches.

I'm seriously looking at just cutting my losses and moving onto a smaller 5th wheel toyhauler. I'm pleased with the overall build and looks of the Genesis trailers, so I was thinking about moving into a 28CR.

I'm just curious if anyone else with this size of 5th wheel toy hauler and a 4 seat machine can tell me if they tow any better? I'm not looking for trailer that I can haul in a hurricane, but I what I have not does not feel safe at all.

For the record, I don't think it's the truck. I have hauled many trailers with it, some heavier, and it's been just fine. It's definitely the loading of the trailer.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How does it tow without the SxS in it? It would be interesting to test it just to make sure that your problem really is weight distribution.

You should weigh the tongue with and without the SxS loaded, just to verify that your problem is from the low tongue weight.

If that's the case, then you should be able to adjust the height and angle of your hitch to compensate.

How level is the trailer when you're hitched up? If you are nose-high or level, try lowering the hitch to shift some of your weight forward.

You can see some interesting things if you Google "how to add tongue weight to a trailer".

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

AKMac

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I dead balled the trailer home empty without the WD hitch, it towed fine.

I have adjusted the WD hitch down to where the trailer is 4" nose low, and it still sways.

I'm just wondering if I will have this problem with a 30ft 5th wheel toyhauler as well.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AKMac wrote:

When I dead balled the trailer home empty without the WD hitch, it towed fine.

I just learned a new term.

Quote:

I'm just wondering if I will have this problem with a 30ft 5th wheel toyhauler as well.

Oops - I ignored your main question.

No. Fifth wheels don't sway.

N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To respond to the title a resounding YES! And it doesnt matter how its loaded.

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Wild Card

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same prob with a tt hauler (Stryker 2812). I was just about to move axels back to fix the issue as no matter what I couldnt get tounge weight right without adding dead weight.

I traded it for what in my sig line. 5th wheel and now I can relax.

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
2017 Voltage Triton 2951

souraider

Rogue Valley, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if it is possible, but could you back the RZR in so the motor and fluid weight is closer to the front of the trailer.

'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313

AKMac

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I just learned a new term.

Haha, maybe that's a local term or something I picked up from my dad, but that's what I have always heard it called when hooking up the trailer without the WD hitch on!

Wild Card wrote:

I had the same prob with a tt hauler (Stryker 2812). I was just about to move axels back to fix the issue as no matter what I couldnt get tounge weight right without adding dead weight.

I traded it for what in my sig line. 5th wheel and now I can relax.

Your striker is very similar to my current trailer. What type of machine are you putting in your 5th wheel? Does it matter is you back it in or nose it in?

souraider wrote:

I don't know if it is possible, but could you back the RZR in so the motor and fluid weight is closer to the front of the trailer.

I did think about that, but from my research the weight distribution on the RZR isn't that extreme. The other issue is it will be blowing exhaust into the trailer and on the fridge. Plus, the snake oil dealer told me that was the purpose of having the slide out on the driver side. So when you pull in you can open the door.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm pretty bummed out about my new trailer. I think it would probably be ok for a smaller machine or some 4 wheelers but the XP4 is just too heavy. Just for giggles, if I get time this weekend I will load everything up this weekend and take it to the cat scales. I'm sure I will get raked over the coals if I trade it in...

sgip2000

Hillsboro, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any time you load a toy in a toy hauler behind the axles, you decrease tongue weight.

What is your tongue weight with and without the RZR loaded?

I have a bumper pull toy hauler too. My tongue weight with no toys is about 1000#

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never had sway in my two previous toy haulers no matter how they were loaded. But my first one was very tongue heavy as the axles were a little too far back. My second one (2012 Shockwave) towed awesome and was always weighted fine. I never did load a RZR in them, but your issue definitely sounds like a weight deal. I'd go to the scales, weigh tongue weight with and without the RZR.

I would do that before trading it in if otherwise you are happy with the trailer. This sounds like a solvable issue if you change your weight around. You can even do things like put coolers in the bedroom rather than bed of your pickup.

That being said, a fifth wheel does tow better than the bumper pull. It's not "I can't feel it behind me" like some people say. But my fifth wheel is 9 feet longer interior and I'm the same total length as my last bumper pull. And mileage is about the same even tho it's 4,000 pounds heavier.

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2008 GMC 2500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Do small 5th wheel toy haulers tow well?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS