Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do small 5th wheel toy haulers tow well?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Do small 5th wheel toy haulers tow well?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Wild Card

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haul 2- Can am Outlander 1000's at 800#ea and my sons Honda 250 Recon at 400#.
1- Outlander sits on axels as far forward as it can on passanger side of hauler. The Other Outlander I pull up on driver side up to the refrigerator. This puts 50/50 weight on and behind rear axel. The Recon goes on pass side wich is behind axel.

To get my Stryker to pull without sway I had to run with my black and Grey water tanks full. This ment I had to run without fresh water as I was well over the haulers gross weight limit. I forget my weight numbers now, but I spent alot of time at a local concrete plant weighing and olaying. The end result was to move my axels back a foot or better. I had alot of other issues with that rig (1st year design) so I opted to send it down the road.

* This post was edited 06/13/18 06:18am by Wild Card *

2015 Ram 3500 Dually
2017 Voltage Triton 2951

Wild Card

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP. The actual weight of the tounge is irrelevent. What you need is around 12-15% tounge weight. So for example if your gross complete trailer weights 10000#s and the tounge itself weighs 1000#s thats only 10%. Meaning 9000#s is on the axels. You need to get the tounge weight ratio up in the 13-15% ratio to get no sway.

Sounds simple right. Only need a few 100#s on the ball. Well when you start putting that weight on it cant go on tje ball. I was gonna make a 4 battery rack, 200# plus mtl. Well that was 4ft from ball so it actually only netted 100#. I then moved my spare up under the tounge. Figure 50# from rear to front...wrong got 20# added from that venture. I even went from a f250 to my ram dually thinking it was the truck. (Got the dually as I knew next step would most likely need it plus the F250 had 300kmiles)

I learned 1/2 ton towable meant the hauler was not for my use. Maybe a golf cart or some dirt bikes, even sport quads...but not SxS or Utility quads

* This post was edited 06/13/18 06:40am by Wild Card *

2001400ex

Veradale, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This video has been posted many times here but figure it's relevant again.

https://youtu.be/i2fkOVHAC8Q

2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2008 GMC 2500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

GottaRunGottaCamp

East of Atlanta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001400ex wrote:

Good Video, simple and plain!

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001400ex wrote:

The moral of the story: Don't tow with a Mustang GT.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No doubt due simply to the physics involved a 5er should tow better than a TT, that being said a TT can be towed without the effects of sway when you have enough truck, are properly loaded, and WD/SC hitch is dialed in correctly, there is some trial & error initially.

We have a TT TH that is pretty much the same size and weight and have a very comfortable towing experience whether fully loaded with toys and full water tanks, or without toys and just one water tank full as we always carry water. We travel at interstate/highways speeds without sway.

Our rig has black, gray, and 2 FW tanks ahead of the axles with fuel station and genny tanks to the rear. With toys (up to 3 atvs and dirt bike) we place most of the weight directly over axles, too much behind leads to sway for us. Without toys we place most weight to rear to offset tongue weight.

We keep our ST tires on our rig pretty much loaded up to max psi and our LT rear tires call for max pressure according to door jamb label, both help in keeping her steady. Sure, you could trade for a 5er, but with your truck I would give it a shot and make more tweaks before taking that step.

Wild Card

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

No doubt due simply to the physics involved a 5er should tow better than a TT, that being said a TT can be towed without the effects of sway when you have enough truck, are properly loaded, and WD/SC hitch is dialed in correctly, there is some trial & error initially.

We have a TT TH that is pretty much the same size and weight and have a very comfortable towing experience whether fully loaded with toys and full water tanks, or without toys and just one water tank full as we always carry water. We travel at interstate/highways speeds without sway.

Our rig has black, gray, and 2 FW tanks ahead of the axles with fuel station and genny tanks to the rear. With toys (up to 3 atvs and dirt bike) we place most of the weight directly over axles, too much behind leads to sway for us. Without toys we place most weight to rear to offset tongue weight.

We keep our ST tires on our rig pretty much loaded up to max psi and our LT rear tires call for max pressure according to door jamb label, both help in keeping her steady. Sure, you could trade for a 5er, but with your truck I would give it a shot and make more tweaks before taking that step.

Just curious what hauler do you have? You also say most weight on axels. How do you get 3 atvs on the axels? My 5th wheel and my TT haulers I only have and had room for 1 ATV on the axels. Your FW tanks are ahead of axels. This helps you tremendously with tounge weight. Alot of rigs FW tanks are on the axels so no help.

Just trying to compare apples to apples.

You can tweak your WD hitch all you want if you dont have enough tounge weight you will sway.

And I do agree with doing what you can before dumping the rig. Exhaust every oportunity. But in the end you have to be comfortable towing and safety.

sgip2000

Hillsboro, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only downside to a fifth wheel over a bumper pull is the loss of truck bed.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

I thought it might be his truck too, be he has a long bed 3500.

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. Get it weighed, spend the money for a scale or go to a CAT scale where you can load/unload the toy. Get rear truck axle only, front truck axle only and trailer axles weight, all with and without the toy and extra water, etc.

Sounds like you just don't have enough tongue weight to me. You've got plenty of truck to pull about anything so adding tongue weight should not hurt. Might be the trailer axles are just too far forward. Also need to confirm you're not overloading the trailer itself.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Do small 5th wheel toy haulers tow well?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS