cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with Mold

Peacester
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone I've got a bit of a mold problem. I bought a water damaged travel trailer super cheap and understood what I was getting into. Here's my situation I have exposed all the mod and rotted wood I am aware of. I have felt all the walls and floor and can't find any more "soggy" areas. I was thinking of renting a mold fogger from my local home Depot running it and after that shooting mold looking areas with killz primer. Is this enough to deal with the mold?
8 REPLIES 8

westend
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few fungicides that will work to remove any mold, mildew, or rot. I'd suggest to do some research and find out which are the most effective and cheapest. Concrobium is used by a lot of folks but the data sheets tell me it is TSP and sodium carbonate. Those are cheaper off the shelf as individual ingredients.

FWIW, when I restored my leaking Starcraft, I used bleach, soap, and water. I didn't have a huge mold problem but there was a lot of rotted and discolored wood. I haven't had any problems, since. Oxalic acid (wood bleach) that is found in many deck and fence cleaners does a good job of cleaning up wood, too.

When you have it all back together do a pressurized interior leak test. It will turn up even the smallest pinhole leak.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Peacester
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Be SURE you have stopped all the water intrusion... You may want to invest in an ozone generator...

I haven't patched the roof up yet but later today the TT will be sitting in a Barn and there is no moister left in this TT we've had 90+ degree days for the last two weeks with no rain. I will be testing the moisture to be safe, and once that's done and I clean up my demo a little I will be starting with the mold Fogger and if I'm not super satisfied with those results I will follow up with a ozone generator.

I'll keep you all updated on my progress and hopefully get some photos going soon as well

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wear a good mask plus a HEPA filter anytime you work with chemicals and mold. Spores go airborn when disturbed.
When treating patients for LYME disease, may times mycotoxins are overlooked from people trying to clean mold. Just keep this in mind in case you start feeling sick from a reaction.

you can do a search :
*Which molds have mycotoxins?

Boat owners have lots of experience dealing with mold. Marine supply stores have products available. Places like 'West Marine' .

During the Sandy storm many people spent thousands to companies that ripped them off using bleach which did the job, everybody was happy. Then the mold all returned months later and everyone was not happy. My daughters house was the only house to NOT have mold return. This is how it was done.

When you clean with bleach it kills the mold but spores still remain and do return in time. That's because bleach bonds with oxygen and has no lasting residual. You have to take an extra step to make your effort a lasting solution.

Everything affected gets cleaned first by using soap and water with a little bleach added to it .

Allow everything to dry for 48 hrs.

Amazon sells a Clorox product called 'Proquatinery Amonia' for $71.00 . Research it, read the directions , it's a sanitizer that already comes in a diluted strength. The product sets up a molecular grid to prevent mold from recurring.

It's best to keep the A/C unit on during this whole process because it filters out spores and at the end of this cleaning...change the filter.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Borrow, rent or buy a MOISTURE METER. Make sure everything is dry.

x2 on the Ozone Generator.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Be SURE you have stopped all the water intrusion or you will be eternally chasing mold. Mold cannot grow in dry areas so it is imperative to find and remove all existing mold and diligently trace back where the moisture came from. You may want to invest in an ozone generator to help clear any residual moldy smell. There will no doubt be traces of existing mold you do not see but it will become dormant and inert if all sources of water have been stopped and ozone will kill the spores as well as knock down the odor. Having one of these devices is a good 'life hack' as once you have one, you will find plenty of times using it will help in RVs, home, and cars. Ozone is deadly to any living thing as it forces oxidation (in effect, cold "burning")
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commercial-Ozone-Generator-5000mg-Industrial-Air-Purifier-Deodorizer-Sterilizer/152794718350?epid=11011339675&hash=item239346608e:g:nn4AAOSwTQtaEjGn:sc:Other!89436!US!-1

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
buy a moisture gun ,then you know for sure if its dry. and remove all rot wood . mold control sounds like a good idea..

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Clean/remove all the mold that you can before fogging.
Fogging with a product like Concrobium encapsulates the mold, but if the mold is disturbed, it can start growing again.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have never used one of those mold foggers but they get good reviews.
If you proceed, please come back and let us (or me) know how it worked.