cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIRECT TV Standard Def. to High Def.

Seneca_35GS
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have DIRECT TV in my Super"C" MH.
I have a 10 year old Moto Stat. 'Freedom' antenna. My TV is a 42" Samsung HDTV.
I hear that DIRECT TV is planning to phase out their Std. definition boxes. Is this correct, and if so does anyone know when this is scheduled to occur.
I would prefer High Def. but am reluctant to spend $2K for a new Wingard "Traveler" antenna.
6 REPLIES 6

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
The "rumor" is 2019, but none knows for sure.
-------------------------------------------
FYI, direct tv seems to know for sure, or at least I just got a 2nd letter from them stating 4-30-2019 as the last SD broadcast date. They want me to update my equipment now.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I switched to DISH and bought a Winegard Pathway X2 carryout auto align dome. About $400.

It works great and DISH is a little cheaper than Directv.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
While DirecTV is scheduled to stop SD broadcast in 2019, it is not scheduled to stop broadcasting from the 101 satellite slot and it will likely still be on the KU band (the signal the domes can receive) or DTV would have to change every antenna on every home in the US. So, the question becomes what will be broadcast and will we be seeing HD from the 101. If so, the domes will receive it.
The initial question asks about SD receiver and you will need to replace that when SD broadcasts end. You can do that at any time you like as the HD boxes will receive SD just fine but your current SD box will not be able to receive HD.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Travlers dont cost 2000 dollars. Travler for Direct is about 1400 dollars. But I would not buy one. In 10 years I have spend close to 1900 dollars for repairs to Teavlers. Thats above the initial cost of the unit.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
At this time NO DOME (or Cube) type antenna does DirecHDTV. NONE. Only a DISH type. it can be roof mounted or tripod, but it has to be a roof mounted.

Consider DISH NETWORK.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
The "rumor" is 2019, but none knows for sure. It probably depends upon the life left in the 101 sat that carries the SD signal. Certainly would not be prudent to make changes now, better to wait for actual information from ATT.