Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Just a few things to stir the pot.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Just a few things to stir the pot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I can answer one of those. A Boeing 737 burns about 800 gallons of J4 an hour.

Actually a 737 burns 940 gallons the first hour. The new Boeing 787 uses electricity to heat the cabin not bleed air. The planes also operate where the outside air temp is typically minus 35-50 degrees Fahrenheit and the plane is doing about 540 mph. Most campers are not used in those temperatures nor do they typically travel that fast. Instead of a tube about the size of your arm to provide bleed air from the 737 engines for heat, they hang huge alternators on the 787 engines.

* This post was edited 06/14/18 08:35am by jmtandem *

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 12:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All great responses...Thank you all for not tossing me under the bus, I was just bored and that little devil on my shoulder told me to mix it up since I hadn't posted anything in awhile.
These are questions I have had from the start of my RV career and a good revisit is always educational. Everyone that participates is passing along their experience and this is how we all can learn.
Most of us over here are the seasoned bunch but remember that the newbies who find us are much more educated from us and can make better choices when it comes their time to jump on that fast moving train.
Being a well informed consumer helps to enlighten the industry and how it relates to the market. It sends a message to the builders of the changes needed in the future.
I personally had not been as educated as I could have been back when when I made that leap, and had I have known what I know now, this kind of education is priceless.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 03:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jmtandem wrote:

lot of RV manufacturers still use build techniques from the 1980's or before. But want today's prices for them. Look at blah unexciting interiors, heaters with fans that take lots of power, make noise, and often heat unevenly. Traditional tank water heaters. Cirrus and a few others are breaking into new territory but most manufacturers just keep making the same stuff over and over again. And consumers keep purchasing what they make.

My younger Sister and myself looked at some Lance Campers( have yet to see them reappear at any other show in Australia) . Poor build quality, dated systems as noted above and dark interiors. Composites? What are they?

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 03:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Some interior designers just don't have modern taste. I don't think those brands will change unless the the people choosing those color schemes are fired. Some may disagree, but I've found Host to be very progressive with their color palettes all of the way back to 2005. Other brands, not so much. I wish I had a 2007 when they phased in better cabinet facing, but otherwise, we are happy with the interior.

If it is a basement camper, there is plenty of room for freshwater, grey, or black. My 12 year old camper has 60 gallons of FW. I've yet to fill my grey or black water tank even after 9 days, we aren't even close.

LED technology has come a long way in the past few years. Some new RVs still have techno-blue-white instead of soft white. In that case, just put the regular in and I'll change them to the less annoying to me soft white!

US Interior Designers are stuck in the dark ages excuse the pun.

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have often thought that TC designers are stuck in a "this is a house" mentality. I don't need cabinets that look like wood or look like cabinets you would find in a home. I need the most efficient use of space possible, useful and well thought out storage.

I wish we could get some engineers from NASA to design truck campers.

Maybe in the not too distant future it will be cost effective to build custom truck campers with 3D printers.

On another note, I am so tired of seeing swooshes on campers. I guess that's to appeal to the NASCAR crowd.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

My younger Sister and myself looked at some Lance Campers( have yet to see them reappear at any other show in Australia) . Poor build quality, dated systems as noted above and dark interiors. Composites? What are they?

Some camping/RV items that have been part and parcel in Australia for years are just now breaking into the American market. Roof top tents, small utility trailers with everything you need for boondock camping with tents on top, etc. Good for us Americans to see some innovation from other parts of the world instead of just the same stuff made each year with a new model year attached to it. And it seems like RV and camping products from Australia are quality. No cheap materials or workmanship, and realistic weights.

Airstream and Cirrus are two examples of what can be done but typically isn't. The Airstream interiors are very modern and some models use non traditional heating systems, all while wrapped up in an iconic outer body. And lots and lots of windows so it does not feel like home in the campground. And Cirrus is clearly not the 1970's or '80s with their interiors. Maybe others will follow soon.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobertRyan wrote:

US Interior Designers are stuck in the dark ages excuse the pun.

Feel free to state who's designs you think are not.

Freep wrote:

On another note, I am so tired of seeing swooshes on campers. I guess that's to appeal to the NASCAR crowd.

I guess you don't watch NASCAR. There isn't a type. Their fans and drivers cross all regions and demographics.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Cirrus, Airstream and maybe some others.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Quote:

Cirrus, Airstream and maybe some others.

Ok, but not directed at you. [emoticon]

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

Why don't they just make everything with LED from the factory all around the RV??? Inside and outside?

That's an option with Bigfoot.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Just a few things to stir the pot.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS