Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Convection oven - phooey, Switched to Toaster oven
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Convection oven - phooey, Switched to Toaster oven

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Monkeyman_and_Lady

Severn, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, first Florida trip for the new rig. We usually aren't in the unit for dinner (Disney and other attractions until late in the day), but for the days when we are, we're taking items that need an oven.

We've been underwhelmed by our convection microwave. Even though the brand and model are well reviewed, that pre-heat time is a pain. We get back from a day of sightseeing, we want to get dinner started and on the table in a predictable time.

So, Monkeylady had an idea. Toaster oven. Inexpensive, and there are models that have a capacity that will work for what we're doing. We can save the convection for the items that don't fit in the toaster oven.

What say you? Any tips or tricks for convection oven? Do you use a toaster oven at all?

Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414

Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love toaster ovens. I don't think I want to give up the space to carry one on the RV though.

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 2014 Ford Edge
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

[email protected]

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Takes up too much room. Difficult to find a storage place for it when on the road.

Instead of carrying that appliance, I just adjust my cooking for the situation. I'm a fan of the convection oven, but I get what you're saying about the long pre-heat times.

During those travel times when I don't want to be bothered cooking after driving for 6 hours, I just have sandwiches or canned foods easily heated on the stove. Things that can stay in place until just before eating. My favorite quick food is tacos where I heat the previously cooked and flavored filling in the MW. Takes all of 15 minutes to prepare and be seated to eat.

When visiting venues that keep me out late, I usually have the slow cooker making something that's finished when I get home. I have one of those smaller cookers so it doesn't take up much more room than a toaster. It makes a much better meal than a toaster oven would, IMO.

Of course, it's all up to you and yours how you handle it.

[email protected]
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Lwiddis

Hearst San Simeon SP

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The preheating of a convection oven reduces cooking time. I like them both.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use our toaster oven more than the convection.

Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a counter top toaster oven/convection oven. use that and also my microwave. would not be without the microwave however.
bumpy

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two Jayhawks wrote:

I love toaster ovens. I don't think I want to give up the space to carry one on the RV though.
We carry one in our Class B! Stored in a cabinet under the kitchen counter right next to the coffee maker.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t have convection oven so toaster oven works for us. We simply “store” it on the counter behind the stovetop. Only issue is making sure to run the ceiling vent fan when in use to prevent smoke detector going off.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's not a lot of practical difference between a convection oven (such as is installed in an RV) and a toaster oven. The convection oven, in convection mode, is basically just a toaster oven with a fan to move the air around inside. Many toaster ovens have a convection or turbo mode where they also have a fan to move the air around inside. I would be slightly surprised if there was much difference in warm-up time for similar sized units.

That said, in my house, I'm rather fond of my toaster oven for smaller cooking jobs, particularly those that don't need super precise or even cooking. It does the job decently.

Monkeyman_and_Lady

Severn, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Room isn't an issue, dear lord, the counterspace in the kitchen is just insane. As for NOT IN USE storage, we're working on that. Might find a place inside, or just put it in an underbay area.

I figure the heat up time will be reduced due to the smaller chamber. I only know that if a Home based convection range took that long to pre-heat I'd find another range.

I like the slow cooker idea, but we don't use a slow cooker normally. Also somewhat concerned about leaving a heating appliance on when I'm not there. I don't do that at home, the RV gets treated even better than that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Convection oven - phooey, Switched to Toaster oven
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS