cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convection oven - phooey, Switched to Toaster oven

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
So, first Florida trip for the new rig. We usually aren't in the unit for dinner (Disney and other attractions until late in the day), but for the days when we are, we're taking items that need an oven.

We've been underwhelmed by our convection microwave. Even though the brand and model are well reviewed, that pre-heat time is a pain. We get back from a day of sightseeing, we want to get dinner started and on the table in a predictable time.

So, Monkeylady had an idea. Toaster oven. Inexpensive, and there are models that have a capacity that will work for what we're doing. We can save the convection for the items that don't fit in the toaster oven.

What say you? Any tips or tricks for convection oven? Do you use a toaster oven at all?
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD
46 REPLIES 46

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a lot of the frozen and other food I buy says to not cook in a toaster oven.
bumpy

fuzzyface
Explorer
Explorer
when we are traveling, Linda puts a meal in the crock pot, places the crock pot in the sink wrapped in towels to stabilize it. When we get to our site, I am STARVING after smelling dinner cooking all afternoon.
Linda and Mike Kruzin' in a Kountry Star

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Our Magic Chef oven just took a dump at the start of a trip. Checked many parts stores and everyone had the same or similar answer, "N/A", "obsolete". So until we return home we are using the convection feature of the microwave.

DW was against the convection oven but I said why don't we try it out. Bought some buisquits in a can, came out fine, great in fact. Tried tollhouse cookies, needed to add cooking time and raise, not lower temp as per MC.

Still not sold but saved our buns(joke intended) on this trip. I'll be looking for a fix for oven but not sure if I'll be succesful. Anybody got any ideas in that area?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Been meaning to get a rack for the convention microwave.

Are there any racks that are not metal and OK for microwave also?

As Jim@Hitek does, we put the slow cooker in the sink while travelling.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Been meaning to get a rack for the convention microwave. I find their biggest flaw is only having a heating element up top.

I normally use a big pan with a lid on the propane stove to act like a toaster. I would take a toaster over the microwave anyday.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
Brand name is Aria, model ato 898. Its a 30 qt unit I got from Amazon and Home Depot also carrys it.
Sorry for delay, been camping and no internet.

Thank you sir, I hope you had a fantastic time away.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
I have found a convection oven outstanding for cooking certain things, most of which I rarely do in S & B, let alone my RV.

There is ONE thing however that I have never found anything that equals it.

Reheating leftover pizza.

Whether just refrigerated a day or two, or frozen for weeks, NOTHING will reheat it such that it tastes like it was just delivered. Nothing.
Our air fryer will. Heats it back just like it was cooked the first time.

Bird,

I have never seen an air fryer that didn’t have a rotating agitator device. Can you share a make & model? It sounds interesting..
Brand name is Aria, model ato 898. Its a 30 qt unit I got from Amazon and Home Depot also carrys it.
Sorry for delay, been camping and no internet.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Alex and Tee!
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
This is the one we have. Bought it at Kohl’s for $189.00 on sale.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ninja-Foodi-Smart-XL-4-in-1-Indoor-Grill-with-4-qt-Air-Fryer-Roast-and-Bake-FG550/521059489?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101064422&&adid=22222222228368037805&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=463026489326&wl4=pla-951966220065&wl5=9011553&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=377855720&wl11=online&wl12=521059489&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz8_ZoOGK8gIV9z2tBh04vAlCEAQYCiABEgJys_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alex and Tee,

Would you mind supplying a bit more about the exact model you purchased? It sounds interesting, but a quick search show lots of models with "Ninja XL air fryer" in thier name.

Thanks,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve been using a Ninja XL air fryer for several months now. Absolutely awesome appliance. Bacon in 7 minutes. Perfect Filet Mignon and burgers. Gave my $1000 Weber grill to my father-in-law. Definitely going on the road with us along with the crock pot.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
I have found a convection oven outstanding for cooking certain things, most of which I rarely do in S & B, let alone my RV.

Whether just refrigerated a day or two, or frozen for weeks, NOTHING will reheat it such that it tastes like it was just delivered. Nothing.

Bird,

I have never seen an air fryer that didn’t have a rotating agitator device. Can you share a make & model? It sounds interesting..

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that the convection oven takes a long time to preheat but it does a great job once you get used to it. I also carry a toaster oven in one of the cabinets but seldom use it for some reason. Maybe next time out I'll do some cheese toast and chili.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows