Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Attaching luan to fiberglass
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Attaching luan to fiberglass

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
redryder9

Granbury, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have removed the rear filon sheet from Okanagan camper, repaired the rotten wood and now I'm in need of help understanding the process of glueing luan to fiberglass, I have read to apply glue to both surfaces and others have said to apply to one surface.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Note sure but I'd look at the tube of construction adhesive for their recommendations.
Loctite Power Grab or PL Premium have good specs. Watch for the amount of time you have to move the item around before it sets up.
The demo videos indicate to put the glue on one side.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on what exact adhesive you use. I'd follow the directions supplied with the glue, not some random directions found elsewhere that may be for an entirely different product.

Epoxy with thickener would only need to be brushed on one surface, and then the two put and held in good contact until it sets. Some sort of a contact adhesive usually gets applied to both surfaces and partly dried before they are united. Probably there are other reasonable options as well, and they would have their own procedures.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the strongest way to join dissimilar is two coat them with expoxy. Within several hours join them with fresh epoxy. You can use micro-ballons or wood dust as a filler to thicken the epoxy first.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use epoxy, the same thing they use in boat building and repair. The process is the same/

Lightly sand the old fiberglass back. Remove all dust and and just before applying the epoxy wipe down the fiberglass with acetone. Only the wood needs a first coat of unthickened epoxy. Do not let that first coat fully cure because you want it to chemically bond with the second coat.

Thickening the epoxy is a good idea for the final bonding, but they you might need a notched trowel to get even coat. Clamping the fiberglass to the wood substrate is important. This will be difficult on a large are unless it is laying flat and then you can just use weights.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While we are taking about this, does anyone know of a good non-wood (synthetic) backer (like Azdel) that can be used in this kind of repair ?

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

While we are taking about this, does anyone know of a good non-wood (synthetic) backer (like Azdel) that can be used in this kind of repair ?

West Marine was a good source of info/products when I had minor delam issue - worth a look.

Kevin

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Following!!! I am starting a similar repair this week [emoticon]

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Note sure but I'd look at the tube of construction adhesive for their recommendations.

Make sure the adhesive is for fiberglass or whatever you are gluing.
One time I used construction adhesive to attach a bathtub surround. The glue bubbled the surround.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you really want to get a perfect join, neat or slightly thickened epoxy, a vacuum bag and a vacuum pump.

Poor man's vacuum bagging can be done with standard home Depot plastic sheeting, a garden hose with some holes drilled in the last 6 feet of it and your shop vac. Works ok for this type of simple project.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Attaching luan to fiberglass
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS