cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

anyone towing a 2018 Chevy Equinox?

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at the Chevy Equinox to tow...It would have to be the top of the line as we need the leather interior for the dogs...I am specifically interested in the diesel as there will be a time that I will have to make long hiway trips with it and the fuel economy is about 40 if not more on the highway. While there are plenty of 2017 and earlier Equinoxes out there...Anyone towing a 2018 Equinox and some feedback please....someone told me that there might be a problem with the towbar and the collision mitigation system...Please be specific as to the model you are towing...This seems to be the only car that meets my needs for flat tow, business and dogs with an AC vent in the rear seat. The Ford Edge can also be towed but the gas mileage is not nearly as close as the diesel... thanks
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)
7 REPLIES 7

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
jhilley,
Motorhome magazine shows that the gas model is towable in the front-wheel-drive model only. The diesel model is towable in the front-wheel-drive AND all-wheel-drive model.

Here is what is listed in the Motorhome magazine towing guide:

Equinox 3,327 lbs, 65 mph/None N/A Yes 26/32 $24,575-$38,225
Front-wheel-drive (1.5L gas FWD/ 1.6L diesel) and AWD (1.6L diesel only) vehicles can be towed. Shift transmission to Neutral. Ignition to ACC. Turn off accessories. Run vehicle at the beginning of each day and at each fuel stop for about 5 minutes. See ownerโ€™s manual.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good thing you want the diesel, it is the only model that is towable in 2018. Found out the hard way. Bought a gas 2018 Equinox 350 miles from home. Got it home and looked at the owners manual and found that the gas model wasn't towable. The dealer took it back in trade for the diesel model. We haven't towed it yet, but we did get 45 1/2 mpg on 149 mile run from Albany, MN to Fargo, ND. We get 38 mpg most of the time on the highway.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
We are looking at the Chevy Equinox to tow...It would have to be the top of the line as we need the leather interior for the dogs...I am specifically interested in the diesel as there will be a time that I will have to make long hiway trips with it and the fuel economy is about 40 if not more on the highway. While there are plenty of 2017 and earlier Equinoxes out there...Anyone towing a 2018 Equinox and some feedback please....someone told me that there might be a problem with the towbar and the collision mitigation system...Please be specific as to the model you are towing...This seems to be the only car that meets my needs for flat tow, business and dogs with an AC vent in the rear seat. The Ford Edge can also be towed but the gas mileage is not nearly as close as the diesel... thanks

Stu,
For the toad, I like simple, simple, simple..:p As you know, our diesel coaches 'need attention' with so many components and nothing is as easy as the simplicity of a gas engine for the toad. You won't need to buy DEF and as you know, the cost of diesel fuel is generally more than regular fuel. I would think the increased cost of the diesel engine itself along with adding DEF would not be a huge savings over just the running costs of a gas engine. The 'regeneration' system is another item that could need attention.

Honestly, I don't know if our 'Ford product' has electric or hydraulic power steering, we have never had any kind of wobble. There are not any fuses that need to be pulled, just follow the procedure on the instrument cluster and 'voila', the car is in 'neutral tow mode' (the car has a push-button transmission) Easy peasy. ๐Ÿ™‚

A couple of weeks ago I met a nurse who lives 93 miles from her job, so, she's driving 1.5 hrs. each way to work (wow). I asked her what she drove and she said she just traded a '09 Chevy Impala with 325,000 miles on it on a new Hyundai Santa Fe. She said the Impala just started to use a little oil and she never had any mechanical issues with the car. She should have been in a GM commercial! LOL!

Safe travels! Hi to Stella!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
Electric steering. I did see that 16 vs 32 post somewhere, but it just cemented my decision to just put a charging line to the toad.

Even with the charge line on, I did get the "Equinox death wobble" once when I jerked the toad off the road into a pulloff in a hurry to keep from getting hit. I think if you're careful about accelerating until after the Equinox is in line you'll never see this problem.

HERE is my post on that. I experienced it once on the interstate where they had our side closed and we had to do an "S" maneuver. The roadway was torn up and patched terribly. When I traversed the S I developed the wobble and had to stop on the interstate to allow it to settle down before continuing. Fortunately the trucker behind me observed what was happening and stopped too. It was pretty nerve wracking and hence my insistance with GM for a fix. The above post was in response to my continued ranting and raving. I think they thought I was nuts enough to be scary.. ๐Ÿ™‚ .....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Electric steering. I did see that 16 vs 32 post somewhere, but it just cemented my decision to just put a charging line to the toad.

Even with the charge line on, I did get the "Equinox death wobble" once when I jerked the toad off the road into a pulloff in a hurry to keep from getting hit. I think if you're careful about accelerating until after the Equinox is in line you'll never see this problem.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
My 2014 Equinox manual has me pulling fuse 32, but I ran a charging line to the toad instead.

Search this forum for Equinox. There are several threads on towing this vehicle (although most likely none on the 2018 model year).

Jerry, is your 2014 hydraulic or electronic steering? If electronic, the newest version from Chevy is to leave #32 in place and pull #16....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the owner's manual under "recreational towing"? There is probably a fuse to pull to disable the radar for the collision system. My 2014 Equinox manual has me pulling fuse 32, but I ran a charging line to the toad instead.

Search this forum for Equinox. There are several threads on towing this vehicle (although most likely none on the 2018 model year).
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox