Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Trailer Toad
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer Toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

POS IMHO> Tires are too small so would make almost 3X revolutions as 15 or 16 in. I wouldn't have it behind me going anywhere in 90 degree weather. Thats like driving 120 MPH or more.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Passin Thru wrote:

POS IMHO> Tires are too small so would make almost 3X revolutions as 15 or 16 in. I wouldn't have it behind me going anywhere in 90 degree weather. Thats like driving 120 MPH or more.

wheels look like 14 or 15 inch, not much different than the rpm a trailer tire makes. and there is very little load on the tires, way less than the load on either Trailer tires or TV tires.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How is it when backing up?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Kavoom

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me tell you about the time out by Russell Kansas when that kind of set up got squirrely and the sway did the escalation thing getting worse and worse until all three went over across I-70 with stuff everywhere. We were stopped for like two hours till they could scrape it all up off the road. No one hurt but scary. I made a vow that day to NEVER tow more than one thing behind me and the shorter the better imho.

jodiesel2

Apple Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Toad comes standard with 15" wheels and E series 225 ST tires. Optionally they can come with 16" wheels and steel fenders.

Backing up is not an issue. If you have to back into a space, you drop two pins on the Toad that locks it straight. Then the only pivoting point is the trailer coupler. The Toad adds 30" of length. When at a park, I'd unhitch the trailer and leave the Toad hooked to my truck. Driving around town with it you don't even know its there.

Here is a pic of the drop down pins for backing. They have red handles.

[image]

* This post was edited 06/14/18 08:08am by jodiesel2 *

2019 Eclipse Attitude 28IBG

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trailer toad will add stability, not take it away, since the trailer ball is located over a set of tires. These aren't new, and have been used successfully is this or similar forms for half a century now.

The trailer toad really only has 3 main drawbacks:

1) Cost
2) Reduced traction. Added weight on the drive axle is certainly needed in some conditions. This would not be a good solution for winter towing.
3) Added steps when backing. It's too bad they don't have an electric locking option.

To a lesser extent, it could also reduce reverse maneuverability since it will scrub the tires in hard turns while backing.

As for legality....

Dollies are legal anyways, and don't require registration when they are empty or towing a registered vehicle. Trailer Toad claims isn't not a dolly, which is probably correct since it's rigidly attached, but either way it wouldn't matter except for maybe charge-by-axle toll roads.

If you want something to fret over... check out many of the home-made trailers being pulled daily on all roads. Many of these have no brakes, questionable structural integrity, and often no safety chains. Seem like at least once a year I see one in the news in my area, for coming off and going through somebody else's windshield. Or the numerous motoromes towing heavy trailers with 2-3x the tongue weight their hitch is rated for, often without the use of any WD at all.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

GeorgiaJim

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It makes the trailer and tow Vehicle more stabile. It effectively makes the wheel base longer on the towing vehicle, so it is not affected by cross winds as much. I think some of the comments here are based on ignorance.

Not only is it more stabile, it preserves the trucks full payload capacity for cargo.

Only criticism of this particular design I see is the missed the opportunity to add an extra set of braking wheels, which would have shorten stopping distance.

I never towed this exact set up, but I have towed a wagon. Anyone who has towed a wagon , will tell it is a much easier tow, and better ride. The only disadvantage is backing up.

jodiesel2

Apple Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

charge-by-axle toll roads.

You just reminded me I did have an extra $5 charge on the Benicia bridge.....

My ATV's take up so much space in the trailer that I have to put the chairs in the hallway. Which makes it impossible to access the bathroom without removing a lot of stuff. Now, because I have the full capacity of the truck bed, I can haul one of the ATV's in the bed and keep the chairs out of the hall. The wife will be very happy about this!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer Toad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS