cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to Block Automatic Windows 10 Updates?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I remember seeing a way to block automatic updates by setting Wi-Fi to appear as a metered connection. I believe it was in "All Settings", but now I can't find it. Anyone? Thanks.

my computer: HP laptop, Windows 10 Version 1709
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
22 REPLIES 22

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Refusing updates is like refusing a smallpox vaccine,
Yea a vaccine that has a good chance of being contaminated and isn't compatible with all your body parts. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Refusing updates is like refusing a smallpox vaccine, you become a carrier.
If youโ€™re not part of the solution, youโ€™re part of the problem.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
If you are using your computer in an RV application the Forced updates can really goof you up. And the other campers using the wifi. Unless you go into your wifi setting and turn off updates for each new wifi you connect to.
It locked up my computer one time because of it. I called Microsoft and was VERY unhappy about them modifying MY computer without permission. They had me do the mentioned above services mod.
This practice of them going into MY computer anytime they want is totally unacceptable to me. My Win 10 has never been updated and it works as good as Win 10 can.

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
Irover wrote:
Tom_M wrote:
I disable the Windows Update service. The easiest way to get there is to type 'services' in the search box then click 'Services Desktop App'. Scroll down to 'Windows Update' then right click on it and select 'Properties'. Change 'Startup type' to 'Disabled'.

When you want to update, change the Startup type to Automatic. Then go to Settings and click 'Update & Security' and check for updates.

X'S 2

Make that X's 3
Especially when you are fulltiming with a limited 'unlimited' data plan.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input, friends. Working OK now. I just finished installing the latest cumulative update.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said, mine is turned off. Rechecked using the 'disable windows service' steps and it was already turned off. Yet mine still updates. It just doesn't tell me it's updating. It doesn't ask me anything. I just notice the hard drive is working like a mule and my computer has slowed down. Eventually I will go back to my computer and the wake up screen will have a generic picture, not the one I chose, where it asks me for my pin or password. I'll check the for current updates and sure enough, it tells me I have the current and the most recent was within 24 hours.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
I disable the Windows Update service. The easiest way to get there is to type 'services' in the search box then click 'Services Desktop App'. Scroll down to 'Windows Update' then right click on it and select 'Properties'. Change 'Startup type' to 'Disabled'.

When you want to update, change the Startup type to Automatic. Then go to Settings and click 'Update & Security' and check for updates.

Windows will sometimes turn the update service back on, with no input from the user. I know this because it happened to me.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to a tutorial explaining various methods to control Windows 10 updates: Tutorial.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:

X'S 2

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another reason is you are busy doing work and suddenly everything bogs down and you keep getting popups saying the system needs to reboot.

Not to handy when you are in the middle of a presentation.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
My computer recently did the update automatically. Jammed up everything. Would not boot up all the way.
Cost me $200 to have a computer shop fix it.

He said he was very busy fixing many computers. Some will have problems and some won't.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Pirate wrote:
Why block updates?
I think he means the automatic ones. Nice to do them when you want to.

You are right, Old Man. Iโ€™m a big believer in updating the OS.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
HackerAce wrote:
If you are not regularly backing up your computer, like right before the second Tuesday of the month, you are asking for trouble.

I know a doctor that recently had to pay $25,000 to get his files decrypted from ransomware. BTW he did not pay the ransomer's, he paid a security firm to rescue his files.

A 1TB USB drive can be had for less than $50.

I understand why you would not want to update over a metered connection but you must keep your system up-to-date to protect yourself, and others.

Iโ€™m quite aware of that. I know updates are important and plan to download them manually when theyโ€™re ready. I check for updates each day.
BTW, my computer is well backed up, both on hard drives and the cloud.