Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT A/C options

Ironbird743
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks-

We have a 2013 Dutchmen Aspen Trail, 30ft TT. It has a 13,500 BTU A/C unit but it struggles to keep cool when the temps get above 85 or so in North Carolina. What can you recommend to help supplement our A/C service (small window unit, portable A/C, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any tips & tricks on this subject.

-=Ironbird=-
-=Ironbird=-
Rig: 2007 Toyota Tundra pulling a 2013 Dutchmen Aspen Trail
10 REPLIES 10

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a wall thermostat? If so it should have a freeze sensor. Common for these to be poorly installed or fall away from the frozen evaporator. Inspection access is from the inside.

And while you are in there check the plenum divider is well sealed between the air in and air out. Many are poorly installed and air just circulates inside. This also contributes to a freeze up.

Ironbird743
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the tips/tricks folks. Here's how it worked out so far:

-I cleaned the unit up top and inside (coils, filter, etc.) but it still wanted to freeze up when temps reached 90 degrees outside. All of the ductwork taping looked fine except for one seam that was loose.

-We installed a small 5K window unit and run some fans to help with circulation and so far it is much better.

I think the next step should be to have the 13.5K unit recharged with freon?

-=Ironbird=-
-=Ironbird=-
Rig: 2007 Toyota Tundra pulling a 2013 Dutchmen Aspen Trail

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We added a second air-conditioner. We replace our fantastic fan in the kitchen with an Atwood AirCommand non-ducted 13,500 BTU'S A/C. Our ducted air conditioner wasn't keeping up in extreme heat. It's the best thing we ever did by adding the second air conditioner.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the unit is working properly...mine has 2 slides and a 31.5' box. When I have a 30 amp hookups and all I can run is the one 15k btu a/c, I open the quick cool on bottom of the intake and remove the air filter. Believe it or not, this lowers the temperature a couple degrees. I also run a small floor fan. Now I've been up to 76-77 degrees inside the trailer with one unit, but it was well into the triple digits outside. Not ideal, but not miserable either.

Now if you get into high humidity with hot temps, nothing I've tried seems to work.

D-C-Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
I added a second unit to ours I have a 15k ducted and a 13.5k non ducted it helped tremendously my issue is that the main ducted unit pushes more air forward than aft on the TT and blocking ducts didn't help to provide more are aft. Anyone with a fix to this please post up your fix.
David,Christy and our three sons
2005 Silverado 2500HD
2018 Kodiak 331BHSL

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
First step is clean the unit, take off the rooftop cover and clean the coils, second thing to do is take off the inside cover and tape up the ductwork, many trailers are so hastily built that 50% or more of the cold air goes into the ceiling space where it does little to cool the occupants. If those fail then call a mobile RV tech to check the unit.

Bingo. Especially the tapework. Also, if you have window in direct sunlight, pull the shades down or even stick car windshield sun reflectors in them. Really helps.

Also, super cool it at night, set the temp down to 67 or so and let it get a head start against the hot day coming.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
First step is clean the unit, take off the rooftop cover and clean the coils, second thing to do is take off the inside cover and tape up the ductwork, many trailers are so hastily built that 50% or more of the cold air goes into the ceiling space where it does little to cool the occupants. If those fail then call a mobile RV tech to check the unit.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
If my experience means anything I would think an efficiently operating 13.5K A/C unit should be able to cool a 30' trailer when the outside temperature is 85ยฐF. I'd also suggest having the unit checked and serviced before spending the money on a second unit. I have a 32.5' TT with a 13.5K A/C and it has no problem keeping the temperature/humidity comfortable at 85ยฐ ~ 90ยฐ.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
What do you consider โ€œcoolโ€? Maybe your unit just needs service. Measure the temperature going in the return and out the supply, that will give you an idea of how well it is working,

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you can make a place for a portable unit, they work really good.
Or, Any chance you can install a second AC?