cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a trailer

Leno
Explorer
Explorer
I would like advice on pulling a trailer with gross weight of 11,060 with a 2001 31 ft class C with a V10 engine?
Since writing this I realized the truck weight was included in this weight.. Trailer is only 7000 lbs.
Thank you all for your input. Made me look into this more!
14 REPLIES 14

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Most Class C motorhome frames donโ€™t go to the rear of the rig. They have extensions that are lighter and not great for attaching a hitch with a trailer that heavy on it. You can tweak the rear of the motorhome.
The hitch will be a good ten feet behind the axle, maybe more. Bad for handling.

Iโ€™ve towed a 10,000 trailer behind two Class As, a 25โ€™ and a 26โ€™, and thatโ€™s why I now use a diesel dually pickup and camper. They handled way too poorly, even with all the add-ons, weight distributing hitches, sway bars, extra springs, air bags.... sometimes a bad combo is just a bad combo.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Friends have a Jayco Greyhawk V-10 that came factory with a 7,500 lb. hitch and pulls an enclosed trailer that I would guess is 7,000 - 9,000 lbs. depending on destination and it does well. Huge drop in MPG and not the first to the top of the hills but appears to handle it safely.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
akrv wrote:
Need more info. E-350 or E-450 ? If anything you will be way over on tongue weight. My 2004 E-450 GVW 14050 and A GCW 19800.

So the OP tow would be 90% beyond his tow rating.
This is n't even close.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't do it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My advice is donโ€™t.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
This thread is a joke, right? That 11,060 is above even what 99% of the diesel pushers can tow.

Probably not lol. Somewhere, somebody is towing that much weight with a C. With some of the stuff I see asked on these RV boards nothing is a surprise lol.

Get a super C. You can get one with towing capacities of 10K, 20K, even 40K.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is a joke, right? That 11,060 is above even what 99% of the diesel pushers can tow.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Probably close, if not over the max length allowed too.

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
Need more info. E-350 or E-450 ? If anything you will be way over on tongue weight. My 2004 E-450 GVW 14050 and A GCW 19800.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Your liable to end up on youtube here, I doubt your hitch is rated that high, also the distance from rear axle to hitch is a bit long.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Leno wrote:
I would like advice on pulling a trailer with gross weight of 11,060 with a 2001 31 ft class C with a V10 engine?

No way!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Your way, way over the tow rating.
Strongly advise against it.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Check the specs on your unit, but most Class C's are only rated for somewhere between 5000lbs and 7500lbs for their towing capacity.

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a lot of wt to be pulling with a motor home.but you haven't said the tow rating of the motor home either.