Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: To fix or live with it.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> To fix or live with it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
eend

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year our 2010 shadow cruiser sprung a roof leak. I removed the front cap and resealed it,and let everything dry out, so of course you can never get it put back perfectly. So the front cap looks very humpy bumpy, as well the sides are starting to delaminates.

What’s one to do , get it repaired or live with it, the trailer is 8 years old and we love the layout, but the delaminating and bumpy front cap looks terrible.
Would it b3 worth it.

2014 Mazda cx5
2015 F150 ecoboost
2010 195wbs Shadow cruiser travel trailer.
1971 Boler 1300

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Up to you really.. As long as you are sure it's not leaking anymore, it's just the lumpy, bumpy look to it... The sides starting to delam is not a good sign, so the leak might have gotten deeper than you originally thought?

Dunno.. My rig is 16 years old and luckily has not had any leaks over the years.. I've had to add some caulk to the corners over the years, but that's about it..

I still get people coming up to my door asking if I want to sell my trailer...

That's the other thing you have to consider... If you don't like the looks of it, is someone else going to? Maybe for the right price, but are you willing to sell it for that amount?

Then you are going to have to buy another rig, right?

From what I've seen and read about, the new ones are leaving a bit to be desired feelings about the quality of them..

That's one of the main reasons I'm hanging on to mine, even thou it's not the brightest penny on the street anymore...

Anyway, good luck with the decision. Maybe a pic or two would help other members give a better assessment.

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/18 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe it just looks bad to you because you know the warts. Post a pic and let's see.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need to see a picture but if it's enough to bother you, expect buyers to be bothered also and offers will be adjusted accordingly.

How much are you willing to lose to make it pretty?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Camper G

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVs depreciate so quickly so as it is. Honestly if i were you, I'd just live with it at this point.

Have you maintained your calk joints? If so and this was a one time event and you have full insurance coverage, maybe file a claim and see if your insurance carrier will pay for the repairs? Might be worth a shot? If it was a long term leak or due to lack of maintenance there would probably be no coverage. Good luck.

2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roof maintenance is so important on an RV. At least once a year get up there on your hands and knees and 'put your eyeball' on every square inch. Dicor is your friend. "A job well done need not be done again" does not apply to RV water sealing. Any seam or penetration of the roof WILL eventually leak. Side windows need to be tightened every year and the butyl tape replaced once it dries out...it usually lasts 10 years. Stay on top of leaks and your RV will last a long time.

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll give a vote to replacing it.

Since it already bothers you enough to post here asking the question, every time you are near it you will be looking for any increase or spread, checking to see if its worse, and likely worrying that it looks bad.
All this time spent paying attention to the front of the camper, and studying it in minute detail, is time you should be doing what the camper was bought for, looking at the beach, mountains, sunrises, gathering the family and friends, etc. Instead you will likely be inspecting the damage to the front cap.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eend wrote:

What’s one to do , get it repaired or live with it, the trailer is 8 years old and we love the layout, but the delaminating and bumpy front cap looks terrible.

Live with it, your camping experience won't be any different either way ... fix it and you'll never recoup the costs, especially on a trailer of this age. I see plenty of trailers in campgrounds with exactly the same issue, in fact my own 2008 K-Z Spree suffered the same delamination problem on the curb side wall. I'm positive it wasn't a water leak issue but rather adhesive failure but that nevertheless didn't make it look any better. I simply lived with it until we later traded it in because we no longer needed a trailer of that size. Interestingly, the dealer resold it within weeks.

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

eend wrote:

Live with it, your camping experience won't be any different either way ... fix it and you'll never recoup the costs, especially on a trailer of this age. I see plenty of trailers in campgrounds with exactly the same issue, in fact my own 2008 K-Z Spree suffered the same delamination problem on the curb side wall. I'm positive it wasn't a water leak issue but rather adhesive failure but that nevertheless didn't make it look any better. I simply lived with it until we later traded it in because we no longer needed a trailer of that size. Interestingly, the dealer resold it within weeks.

X2 because of the age, 3 months from now another issue may show up

Go camping and enjoy it

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the sides are starting to delaminate, you still have leak problems.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> To fix or live with it.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS