Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: To fix or live with it.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> To fix or live with it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

eend wrote:

What’s one to do , get it repaired or live with it, the trailer is 8 years old and we love the layout, but the delaminating and bumpy front cap looks terrible.

Live with it, your camping experience won't be any different either way ... fix it and you'll never recoup the costs, especially on a trailer of this age. I see plenty of trailers in campgrounds with exactly the same issue, in fact my own 2008 K-Z Spree suffered the same delamination problem on the curb side wall. I'm positive it wasn't a water leak issue but rather adhesive failure but that nevertheless didn't make it look any better. I simply lived with it until we later traded it in because we no longer needed a trailer of that size. Interestingly, the dealer resold it within weeks.
I had a small Sidekick TT that was in covered storage. The front cap was exposed to full morning sun. It was less then a year old when the glue let go on the front cap, rest of the trailer was fine. I discounted the TT the cost of repairs and sold it in less than a hour of posting it on Craigslist. The company had been sold so there was no warranty.

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are not happy with your current RV. Buy a new one and do more maintenance.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People drive rusted cars... do you?

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No rusted cars in SoCal, boos.

Draggo

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2008 KZ that had a water leak a few years ago. I sealed up the leak, cleaned up what I could but ended up with delamination on both sides in the front and the front cap was bumpy. Got a couple of prices to fix it and determined that I would never get that money back out of it. Trailer was about 7 years old at the time. Decided to live with it and just take the hit when we did finally get rid of it (which was just a couple of months ago). I'd rather take a hit on what I have coming in (trade in value) rather then sending money out (paying for a repair).

Mike & Company
2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab (5.3L V-8, 3.42 rear gear)
2008 KZ Spree 318BHS
Reese W/D & HP DC, Prodigy brake controller

eend

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/18 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will live with it even though it bothers me. I got the leak fixed so don't have to worry about more water penetration.

We like our trailer and the layout and I just cant justify spending 25-30 k on a new trailer that only gets used maybe 6 weeks a year.

2014 Mazda cx5
2015 F150 ecoboost
2010 195wbs Shadow cruiser travel trailer.
1971 Boler 1300

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/18 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there some way to fix the problem to your satisfaction without it getting back to being perfect?

My brother has a 5th wheel that started to de-lam on the back wall. The local guy pulled the inside off to find the studs and then added screws to the back wall to hold it together. The screws have little plastic caps that match perfectly to the color of the wall. Because they are in a perfectly straight line they look like they belong there and it was made that way by the factory.

Wonderful idea actually.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/18 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And, I would not consider a 8 year old TT a older one. My TT is 25 years old and I know a lot of people using ones much older.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> To fix or live with it.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS