Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Looking for Advice!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking for Advice!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dustyniel

Deployed

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 03:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone, I am new here and planning to buy a 5th wheel toy hauler in the near future. It will be my primary residence for the next 5-10 years, looking at 30-36 length. Asking for any advice / tips on what to look for prior to purchase to avoid buyers remorse.Thing I already know I want: 50 AMP service, dual Slide outs, Dual A/C, Separate garage area w/patio door separating space, queen size bed w/nightstands, full size fridge, entertainment center area, tub/ shower area- NOT a corner unit, pass through storage underneath, outdoor cooking/ entertainment area. Planning on a 3/4ton truck to pull trailer with motorcycle inside. Helpful advice / suggestions are welcome. Thank you

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think a 3/4 ton truck has any advantage over a 1 ton single rear wheel .... both are the same price but the 3/4 ton is not designed With rear springs to carry any more weight than a 1/2 ton. After choosing the 5ver you'll know if you need a 1 ton srw or 1 ton dually. How much of your money can we spend?

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

buy a good used one,there out there,just look. plan this out , and you,ll find a very nice rv.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would start at the ground and work upward to the pretty stuff you mentioned. Tires, brakes, axles, springs, frame design, floor materials, and then the soundness of the box itself. The RV manufactures know that they can cut corners by installing the cheapest parts because many just look at the bling.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have more questions than answers.
Is it just you alone?
Do you already have the 3/4 ton truck?
Will you be on the road a lot, or staying at one place for several months before going somewhere else?

I've never had a toyhauler, but had 2 truck campers, a motorhome and two 5th wheels. I've never noticed a toyhauler as short as 30ft. My perception is they start at about 36 ft. I would look at used ones. New RV's have incredible depreciation. You should be able to find a very nice used "upper end" one for the same price as a junky new one. All Rv's are junk. Some just worse than others. Forget the 3/4 ton truck. You will likely need a 1 ton dually.
Last advice...don't believe the salesman.

Look around the internet to get an idea on prices:
pplmotorhomes.com
rvt.com

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good comments from all above. I’ll reinforce a couple items. Plan on a 1T SRW instead of a 3/4T. Don’t buy the truck until you know which 5er you’ll get, you may need a dually. Sounds like your list is bigger than you’ll find in that short of a toyhauler. You’ll also get a much better quality unit buying a few years old for the same price as you’d get buying a cheaper one new.
Good luck with your search.

Ron & Pat (and a Portuguese Water Dog)
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2005 HitchHiker DA 31.5LKTG

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you really must have the garage, skip the toy hauler idea. There are really nice used fivers on the market, but all your asking about are going to be BIG and HEAVY. Meaning you likely will wind up with a dually. Pick your trailer first then find a truck suitable to tow and yes, carry the pin weight.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Decide on the TV after you purchase or select the 5er. Cart first, then horse. I’ll wager a one ton will be more appropriate.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris, I'll toss my hat in the ring and also recommend a 1T SRW =AT MINIMUM=. Toy haulers tend to be a lot more nose-heavy than "standard" FWs due to the fact that the people who buy them like to actually put stuff in the garage, which counter balances the pin. I've never seen numbers, or even looked at THs since I have no interest in them, but I'd be willing to bet that the pin weight of the average TH is probably 25%, at minimum, when empty. With FWs it's not how much you can tow, it's how much you can =carry=, i.e. payload, that's the true deciding factor in which truck you should have. I know I made a mistake in buying my '02 D'max even with an 11,360 GVW FW. That unit gave my truck all it could handle, plus about 500 lbs over, even though it only had a 16% empty pin weight. If you're stuck on a 3/4t, then look at bumper pulls instead.

In general, with any FW, decide on the FW =first=, then get a truck to match it.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 60 Year Member

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Planning on a 3/4ton truck to pull trailer with motorcycle inside.

Start with a one ton truck, a dually diesel would not be overkill in your situation.

* This post was edited 06/14/18 08:38am by jmtandem *

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Looking for Advice!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS