cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

directv, tailgater, 3 tvs

DelawareCamper
Explorer
Explorer
we currently have 3 tv's in the RV, we have directv, we have the genie, right now I use a dish to get the signal, is there a tailgater type automatic dish that will support 3 tvs? I have the genie type splitter for what I'm doing now, will it work with the tailgater type dish? we always find the satellite, but the tailgater type dish would make it easier,,,,
10 REPLIES 10

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are other options. Keep in mind the DTV does not care (or even consider the RVer as a "thing"). DTV does what it does on the assumption that you are a home owner with a fixed antenna on your roof. DTV did not invent the dome and DTV will not support the dome (and they shouldn't). The domes are a weird creation of a very inventive RV industry but they are dinosaurs in today's era of satellite TV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I have not seen any information that DTV is phasing out 101. They will no longer broadcast SD but it's hard to imagine them giving up one of the most prime satellite slots at 101. The question is what will be broadcast from 101. It they may just move some of the HD programming to 101 and the domes would still be able to receive that.

Really hoping that's what happens. If not, goodbye to DTV after 20 years.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not seen any information that DTV is phasing out 101. They will no longer broadcast SD but it's hard to imagine them giving up one of the most prime satellite slots at 101. The question is what will be broadcast from 101. It they may just move some of the HD programming to 101 and the domes would still be able to receive that.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Antennas 101
DircTV uses one bird at 101 W. but they are phasing that out and going to all HD on 99 and 103 or something like that, Different band and NO "Tailgater" type antenna will work in that band (NOTE Tailgater is specific to Dish). So I would not recommend spending money on a portable Cube or Dome type antenna for DirecTV since it soon will be useless. I'd stick with your dish type antenna.

For DISHNETWORK the Tailgater types work with ONE receiver. but if you try to run two or more they play nice only so long as they all want the same satellite. if you want to watch or record two shows on DIFFERENT satallites (thy also use 3) you will not be happy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
DelawareCamper wrote:
we currently have 3 tv's in the RV, we have directv, we have the genie, right now I use a dish to get the signal, is there a tailgater type automatic dish that will support 3 tvs? I have the genie type splitter for what I'm doing now, will it work with the tailgater type dish? we always find the satellite, but the tailgater type dish would make it easier,,,,

If you move to a dome style automatic antenna you will lost ALL HD programming. If that's OK then I would suggest the Winegard Carryout G3 as I know that works with the SWM8 hardware. You can get complete details on how to install the additional hardware with your dome here:
www.winegard.com/help/images/d/d1/2452242.pdf

I can attest that the Vuqube 2100 works with the SWM8. That is the one I use.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Your only automatic choice for DirecHD is the Winegard Travler or RFMogul. Both roof top dishes. Your Genie is SWM equipment, domes cant use the SWM technology. Which Genie are you using?

Not correct. The domes can utilize the SWM technology and will work with the Genie receivers. See the PDF above.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DelawareCamper wrote:

If you move to a dome style automatic antenna you will lost ALL HD programming. If that's OK then I would suggest the Winegard Carryout G3 as I know that works with the SWM8 hardware. You can get complete details on how to install the additional hardware with your dome here:
www.winegard.com/help/images/d/d1/2452242.pdf

DelawareCamper
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Your only automatic choice for DirecHD is the Winegard Travler or RFMogul. Both roof top dishes. Your Genie is SWM equipment, domes cant use the SWM technology. Which Genie are you using?

not sure what genie we have,, its all HD,,, I just take the genie and 2 of the small boxes with us and use an extra dish I found on a tripod,, always get the signal but sometimes it takes a while,, we use an app on the phone to find the satellites

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you put a SWM8 between the SWM receivers and the dome, it will work. I have done that. The SWM8 would also solve the 3 tv issue.

Of more pressing concern is buying an automatic antenna for Directv because the automatic antennas only get SD programming and Directv is supposedly ceasing SD broadcasting in 2019. It is unknown at this time whether Directv will broadcast anything from the KU satellite that the automatic dome antennas can receive after this date.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer