Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Will Solar save my frig temp?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Will Solar save my frig temp?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Mar-d-mar

Blue Springs, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class B Pleasure Way. In hot weather, on propane or battery power, the frig won't keep up. It does fine plugged in at a campground but I'm usually in a parking lot during the day. I've been leaving it on propane, but 60 Degrees certainly won't keep food safe. Will Solar panels be enough to do it? Is there a thread anyone can suggest to recommend the best type and connection? Prefer to have panels be mounted permanently vs. temporary set up on the ground because of theft potential. Thanks all in advance.

* This post was edited 06/14/18 09:14am by Mar-d-mar *

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fridge should operate with similar performance on gas or electric.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mar-d-mar wrote:

In hot weather, on propane or battery power, the frig won't keep up.Will Solar panels be enough to do it?.
So, your fridge works ok on 120vac then. You'd need an inverter to supply that, plus about 25amps of solar feeding the batts.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mar-d-mar wrote:

In hot weather, on propane or battery power, the frig won't keep up.Will Solar panels be enough to do it?.

2oldman wrote:

So, your fridge works ok on 120vac then. You'd need an inverter to supply that, plus about 25amps of solar feeding the batts.

And how is solar going to help when the sun isn't shining full tilt? [emoticon] The correct solution is to figure out why the fridge isn't operating on gas as it should. [emoticon]

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On propane at Stovepipe Wells with temp at 105F in March my fridge did great on propane even during the one to two hours in the sun. Add fans inside and behind. Have your fridge serviced. Getting 25 amp hours from solar on a B will be a challenge...roof real estate...five 100 watt panels.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The answer is no.
If you can't cool when running off 120V or when running on propane with a good 12V source, solar isn't going to do anything for the fridge.
All solar does is keep the battery up.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the battery thats running the fridge going dead ? If not, fridge should work just as good on propane as electric. If so, then solar will help the battery

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Mar-d-mar

Blue Springs, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. The 'experts' have checked the frig and supposedly there is nothing wrong with it. It is original equipment on a 2000 model Pleasure Way. 2oldman, if the panels are connected to the batteries, wouldn't I have the identical issue? It seems like there isn't enough power coming from the batteries (which are pretty new) Please forgive my 'newness', but the frig has 3 settings. I use AC for when I am plugged in, DC for batteries and gas-gas. If I have solar panels, can I use the AC connection instead of DC, or is there a way to plug the AC into the inverter for panels and get more power?

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mar-d-mar wrote:

If I have solar panels, can I use the AC connection instead of DC, or is there a way to plug the AC into the inverter for panels and get more power?
Confusion here... Please clarify.
Mar-d-mar wrote:

The 'experts' have checked the frig and supposedly there is nothing wrong with it.
Something is definitely wrong with it. At 18 years maybe it's time to replace.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mar-d-mar wrote:

Thanks all. The 'experts' have checked the frig and supposedly there is nothing wrong with it. It is original equipment on a 2000 model Pleasure Way. 2oldman, if the panels are connected to the batteries, wouldn't I have the identical issue? It seems like there isn't enough power coming from the batteries (which are pretty new) Please forgive my 'newness', but the frig has 3 settings. I use AC for when I am plugged in, DC for batteries and gas-gas. If I have solar panels, can I use the AC connection instead of DC, or is there a way to plug the AC into the inverter for panels and get more power?
You would need so huge solar to run the absorption fridge on 120vac or 12vdc direct. The only practical way is to use propane. 12v just operates the control board and propane igniter. Have you looked to see the actual flame?

Although put a voltmeter on the battery to make sure you have 12.0+ volts and then check the fridge control board is getting similar voltage. If the propane igniter is working you probably have enough battery power.

You could try a new control board. People seem to like the Dinosaur brand.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Will Solar save my frig temp?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS