Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need help from Toyota Highlander owners
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Need help from Toyota Highlander owners

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Chris Marino

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

Newbie to the forum. I've been doing quite a bit of reading both here and online regarding trailer weight and how much specific vehicles can tow. Very challenging to find accurate info.

We're looking at a 2018 Jayco Jay Feather X213.
Unloaded Weight: 4,315
Dry Weight, Hitch: 405 lbs
GVWR: 5500 lbs

If the Highlander manual shows "TWR (maximum gross trailer weight = trailer weight plus cargo weight)" = 5,000 are we OK to pull the above trailer with our Highlander? I have to be honest, all the reading I've done has confused and frankly overwhelmed me.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's definitely going to be pushing it to the limit. We pack very lightly and we used up all 550 pounds of cargo capacity in our trailer without carrying any water. Also that tongue weight is under 10% which is not good for towing, but it probably doesn't include battery or full propane tank so it's also probably misleading.

If it were me I'd be look for something closer to 3k listed dry weight as that would give you more margin.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Marino wrote:

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not a Highlander owner but I personally wouldn't tow a Jayco X213 with one. CCC is a mere 1185 lbs as delivered from the factory so some of that will be used up by any accessories or options that may be added to the trailer, including a battery or batteries that would be added by the dealer. With a factory UVW of 4315 lbs that means that once loaded & ready to camp this trailer's GVW is going to be awfully close to it's GVWR of 5500 lbs, in fact you may struggle to not exceed that weight. 5500 lbs x an average gross tongue weight of 13% is well over 700 lbs, in fact I suspect you'd be running close to 750 lbs. That of course comes off your Highlander's payload capacity and what you have left has to accommodate everything else in the vehicle at the time you're towing. Although I'll be accused of being a member of the weight police these numbers alone pretty clearly indicate you'd be at, if not beyond, the rated limits of your Highlander.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/18 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's definitely over the limit with consequences on you and family's safety, insurance and warranties.

Get something at 3,000 lbs dry range that would gross around 5,000 when you load your stuff and accessories. Winnie and Coleman have it on those weight range with equivalent features.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nope you will run out of payload.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loaded hitch weight will probably be around 650 pounds, so that's a no-go for the hitch receiver.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Loaded hitch weight will probably be around 650 pounds, so that's a no-go for the hitch receiver.

I don't see how this trailer's gross tongue weight would end up anywhere near this light. Presuming a family is using this trailer the OP, as I already said, will be challenged keeping this trailer's GVW within it's GVWR of 5500 lbs. My own previous K-Z Spree 240BH-LX typically averaged ~ 5500 lbs loaded & ready to camp and gross tongue weight consistently averaged ~ 750 lbs, or ~ 13.6% - right where it should have been.

To the OP - bear in mind that rear glide trailers which were popular about 10 yrs ago are much less so now, one reason being lack of storage. Trailers with a conventional queen front bed usually have a fairly generous front pass through cargo compartment which rear glide trailers do not. Your only choice really is to raise the lower front bunk bed on it's hinges and use that space for storage ... but that of course means removing all of what you've loaded in there if you expect to use that lower bed. Some owners also complained of cold seeping up through the glide out bed platform during spring and fall camping ... not a show stopper but worth being aware of.

DM6156

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing to keep in mind, is your destination. For me, My V6 did excellent towing on flat ground, however, towing up mountains here in north Georgia was different story.

I spoke to a tacoma owner at a campground who asked about towing and he shared similar experience I did. His TT was also close to max towing.

I upgraded to V8.

Chris Marino

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is all really great advice, thank you all for sharing!

Guess we'll move away from the Jayco X213 and find a less heavy trailer for our family.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/18 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris Marino wrote:

We're looking at a 2018 Jayco Jay Feather X213.
Unloaded Weight: 4,315
Dry Weight, Hitch: 405 lbs
GVWR: 5500 lbs

Here's your next lesson ... UVW for any trailer you buy will always be greater, sometimes by several hundred pounds, than what may be indicated in fancy brochures or the manufacuturer's website. What really matters is what the yellow weight sticker affixed to the front street side of the trailer indicates is that particular trailer's unloaded weight as it left the factory. A few years ago that included the weight of empty propane tanks but no propane, these days it seems to include the weight of both even though the trailer ships with no propane in the tanks. Here's a 2018 Jayco X213 and if you can read the weight sticker it indicates this particular unit actually weighed 4503 lbs, including propane, as it left the factory.

[image]

Add the weight of even just one battery and this trailer will weigh at least 4560 lbs before anything else is added to it. Include the weight of enough water to fill the water heater tank and some reserve in the fresh water holding tank so the system is functional and this unit could easily top 4700 lbs with no other cargo of any kind in the trailer. See where we're going with this? [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Need help from Toyota Highlander owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS