Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cab over rot

link30240
Explorer
Explorer
Considering buying a brand new class C

Have been looking at used class C's for a while now and virtually everyone has some degree of rot or delamination in the cab over portion. Is it inevitable due to design or does everyone just suck at maintaining them?
13 REPLIES 13

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at what is referred to as a B+. it's a class C with no overhead bunk but an entertainment center instead. We don't need the extra sleeping area so it works for us.

Me thinks that sometimes that extra space is used to store various items. You have that extra weight in an area that is prone to have issues. My Cambria's nose bounces quite a bit with just the tv and some items in the cabinets, imagine a bed space crammed with stuff .

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
We climb up in the cabover to check for any signs of leaking or dampness; I would say at least once a month. We've had a bad leak up there the first year and thank God, Allstate helped with paying for the repairs. And so far no other problems.

bobm253
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a unit with a one piece fiberglass cap.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of unsupported weight in the cabover. That gives a lot of bouncing to the frame. I think that has toge the most important place to check on a Class C and also a regular maintenance program for the cabover.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Delamination is a great indicator of water intrusion. If I were buying again, I'd avoid any RV with delamination. Some delam is caused by the sun heating the laminate and causing the glue to let go - especially if there are dark-colored decals/paint on the area. But I think that issue has been largely addressed.

A rotted RV is a headache, from mold causing allergies to structural integrity. I have to take Allegra every time I use our RV because of this. When shopping, believe your eyes and your nose. Also go around the inside and outside of the unit, pushing firmly on the walls in suspect places - corners, along the roofline, under windows, feeling for softness.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
Keep looking; it's good that you know what to look for and avoid.

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's both. Leaks are easy to come by especially on older models and a lot of owners don't know how to check and/or seal.

Having completely rebuilt my cab over I have become a lot more careful about sealing and it has become easier to understand why the leaks happen and give a little grace to regular folks who own motorhomes.
2000 Minnie 31C V10

link30240
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
link30240 wrote:

Have been looking at used class C's for a while now and virtually everyone has some degree of rot or delamination in the cab over portion. Is it inevitable due to design or does everyone just suck at maintaining them?

I'd say the latter. I bet 90%+ of owners don't have a clue about seal maintenance.

When the roof leaks on your house, you get a new roof. When the seals leak on an RV, it's already too late because it's rotten underneath.

Wouldnt say a 2005 class c for 27k was deeply discounted. was a pretty nice looking unit too. but when I started pushing the areas around and above the cab it was easily apparent how soft it was compared to other areas.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
I've had the marker lights leak more often than the window.

+1
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the marker lights leak more often than the window.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
link30240 wrote:

I'd say the latter. I bet 90%+ of owners don't have a clue about seal maintenance.

When the roof leaks on your house, you get a new roof. When the seals leak on an RV, it's already too late because it's rotten underneath.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of well maintained used Class C's for sale that have no cabover problems. Maybe you selecting Class C's that are deeply discounted?
Kevin

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't believe it is inevitable, although the ones with window in the cabover seem to have more problems than those without, but any of them can have leaks, unfortunately you may not notice them right away, which creates a worse problem.
Maintenance may not be a matter of neglect or poor maintenance, I resealed mine before we left on a cross country trip, a 4 month trip, before we got home, I had a serious leak at the front seam.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund