cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SOLAR ADVISE FOR A CHALET TS116

Themucsel
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Chalet TS-116fb new in 2012. I'm currently putting two 170 watt Zamp panels on the roof. This camper states that it is "solar ready"....since I will be putting the MPPT controller in the forward battery box, I will be mounting the controller (Bluetooth capable) next to the batteries. All labeled solar wires in the battery box are attached to the proper battery posts...as I went up on the roof of the camper, I thought I would test the factory solar plug for power. Guess what, no power. For those of you that have this camper, have you experienced this? Is there a termination of the solar wires in the wall where you would normally mount the controller(above the thermostat).
13 REPLIES 13

Themucsel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Found the exact spot to drill hole in wall. I'm glad I used my iPhone scope before I made the hole...the sticker the manufacture put on the wall indicating where the solar wire are was way off.

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer

The neg and pos from battery comp. and roof meet at this location in your camper.
the circuit is open for you to connect your controller
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD. Timbrens all around, Bilstein shocks.
2014 Chalet TS116

Themucsel
Explorer
Explorer
Found it....Just one hole

Themucsel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. I've contacted Chalet RV in Oregon...No help there.Chalet no longer makes this truck camper, just trailers. I'll just get the drill out and start making holes....hopefuly just one.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Check the gauge of the factory wired with a voltage drop calculator to make sure they are sufficient. Since you are using an mppt scc you could wire the 2 panels in series. This would drop amperage and improve line voltage drop
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
That sounds right. If the location is not apparent, it is time to check with the manufacturer.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
JimK-NY wrote:
There should be no power on the roof solar connections. Those wires should be unattached and terminate somewhere inside the camper. When completing the wiring, you will attach the solar panels to the roof wiring (parallel or series, your choice) and then attach the other ends to the controller solar input connections. In addition you will need to attach the controller output to the batteries or if previously wired to the fuse box. Finally you should have a temperature probe which runs from the controller to the battery box.

Ditto

Basically, this is how the wire is most likely set up:

Wire from roof connection goes somewhere inside the camper, and is buried behind the wall. Usually there's a decal on the wall indicating "this is where the solar wire is".
Behind that wall panel there will be another set of wires, which go to the battery bank.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The controller should not be in the same compartment as the battery bank, unless the batteries are sealed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You understand that the controller shouldnโ€™t be in the same compartment as wet batteries?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Themucsel
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY. Thanks for the info. Before I planned on hooking up my panels, I just wanted to see if the wires to the roof were live. My plan is to put the Victron controller in battery compartment not inside the camper. I've used a video snake and checked where the wires go.....so now I guess I'll have to drill a hole in the wall close to where the original sticker said to put the solar controller. I can only get so far up the wall before I run into wall framing blocks.

Themucsel
Explorer
Explorer
USA made and sold by AM Solar. I just figured the wires from the roof solar plug would be solid all the way down to the battery compartment waiting for the controller to be matched into the system. It looks as though I'm going to have to remove the roof solar plug and see if it is connected before I complete the install.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
There should be no power on the roof solar connections. Those wires should be unattached and terminate somewhere inside the camper. When completing the wiring, you will attach the solar panels to the roof wiring (parallel or series, your choice) and then attach the other ends to the controller solar input connections. In addition you will need to attach the controller output to the batteries or if previously wired to the fuse box. Finally you should have a temperature probe which runs from the controller to the battery box.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are less expensive panels than Zamp. Where do the wires from the roof terminate?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.