cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outside Propane Connection??

CSteiner1020
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a brand new 33' Winnie Minnie. It has a small door that reveals an outside propane connection, supposedly so I can hook up a camp stove outside. In reading reviews on stoves (such as the RoadTrip model, etc.), it says you CAN'T connect a camp stove to a 30# propane tank because of the way it is regulated.

If you can't do it, why is there a connection on the camper? I'm SOOOO technology challenged...having a hard time understanding! I just want to be able to cook dinner outside.
16 REPLIES 16

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
paddykernahan wrote:
I can turn off the RV propane and back feed the propane lines with a 20 pound tank. Use for extra capacity if I need it ...

That's exactly what the Sturgi-stay does.

Yes but my mod only cost about $20 and required no installation.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
CSteiner1020 wrote:
I found the documentation... it is a low pressure quick connection. What was confusing me was that my previous camper WAS a Coleman pop-up and it had a high-pressure outside connection, so I thought they were all the same. I will check out some of the low pressure gas grills made specifically for campers. Thanks!

IMO the Sturgi-Stay gives you a lot more flexibility. It's half the price of a low-pressure grill and you can hook it up to anything: lantern, camp stove, grill, etc. - anything that takes those green bottles. You could go nuts and get a Y or tree adapter to feed multiple appliances. And you can run it all off of a standard 20 lb. BBQ tank when (not if - when) you run your fixed tank out of gas.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

CSteiner1020
Explorer
Explorer
I found the documentation... it is a low pressure quick connection. What was confusing me was that my previous camper WAS a Coleman pop-up and it had a high-pressure outside connection, so I thought they were all the same. I will check out some of the low pressure gas grills made specifically for campers. Thanks!

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
there are low pressure gas grills available Camco Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Gas Grill and some of these Low Pressure Grill winnebago has a Available Tailgate Package with Grill for some of there models. if you want a stove outside you would most likely have to modify one by removing the regulator and replacing it with a shutoff valve.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
paddykernahan wrote:
I can turn off the RV propane and back feed the propane lines with a 20 pound tank. Use for extra capacity if I need it ...

That's exactly what the Sturgi-stay does.

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
My propane quick connect is regulated to low pressure.
I did something interesting.
Had a propane hose made up with a 20 pound tank connector, regulator and quick connect fitting matching the RV.
I can turn off the RV propane and back feed the propane lines with a 20 pound tank. Use for extra capacity if I need it and already used when the power went out at the house and was using the RV generator.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
CSteiner1020 wrote:
I just bought a brand new 33' Winnie Minnie. It has a small door that reveals an outside propane connection, supposedly so I can hook up a camp stove outside. In reading reviews on stoves (such as the RoadTrip model, etc.), it says you CAN'T connect a camp stove to a 30# propane tank because of the way it is regulated.

If you can't do it, why is there a connection on the camper? I'm SOOOO technology challenged...having a hard time understanding! I just want to be able to cook dinner outside.

The entire system in the RV is low pressure, regulated at the the feed from the tank. The road trip is also a low pressure appliance but it has its own regulator as they're not a RV specific grill for lack of a better term. They're marketed to the general grilling public who is going to hook a 1lb or 20 lb cylinder directly to the grill. You can always buy a grill already set up for use on an RV but most of them suck, and are more of a food warmer than a grill.

You can have two regulators, the one part of the RV system, and the one on the grill, and it may or may not fire up, but even if it does you'll most likely not be able to pass enough volume to get the max BTU from the Roadtrip.

ScottG's solution is the correct solution, remove the regulator from the Roadtrip. Hopefully the Roadtrip is not like a WeberQ which has its regulator integral with the temperature control, but even then you can now find adapter kits.

The only RVs I have ever seen with a dedicated high pressure L.P. quick disconnect were some of the Coleman popups.

I have all my stuff set up as ScottG has. One thing you may find is you need to go to a better main regulator with a higher BTU capacity. The RV manufacturers tend to use the cheapest regulators obtainable. I have a Campchef stove with 3 90K BTU burners, sort of like 3 turkey fryers welded together, and the cheap Generic regulator on our Rockwood would not pass enough BTUs in volume to get the most out of it. A $60 Marshall Excelsior with a much higher BTU rating solved that issue.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Who says you can't double regulate? I've done it many times. You just don't 2ant to go from a lower pressure to higher.

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
A quick call to the dealer that sold you the unit should resolve all your questions.
Jim Hunter

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Not all factory installed propane outlets are regulated. I would suggest that you read your owners manual, I woould bet it says so in the Winnie owners manual.

If it does not tell youu, look under the house and see where it taps off the main line.

Perhaps it is high pressure and a stove with a regulator will work without a Sturgistay.

Let us know what you find.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
CSteiner1020 wrote:
So what is the purpose of the connection in the little door?? I mean, if I can't hook anything to it? I'm just stumped as to why it is there.

I sure appreciate your patience with me!!

Read my post above. You can use it if the appliance doesn't have a regulator.

CSteiner1020
Explorer
Explorer
So what is the purpose of the connection in the little door?? I mean, if I can't hook anything to it? I'm just stumped as to why it is there.

I sure appreciate your patience with me!!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You can't double regulate the appliance.
You can remove the existing regulator from them and add quick disconnects. All of my propane stuff is converted for that purpose:

I have 35 feet of hoses with QD's on each end so I can use these items just about anyplace.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
CSteiner1020 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Does the Extend-a-Stay fasten to the fixed tank (inside the BIG door), or does it plug into the propane connection on the little door (that is ONLY a propane connector...nothing else in there). And where do you purchase this? I've done searches, but can't find a product called "Extend-A-Stay", although the search engine says it exists. Amazon links to tee-adapters.

THIS

It goes between the fixed tank and the RV's propane line - inside the big door.

EDIT: The "deluxe" kit comes with the hose for the grill:

DELUXE Kit