cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tires and I think I know what you are going to say

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
2011 fiver,8500 lbs, original towmax tires, because of circumstances has been sitting 2 years on boards but on the ground sunnyside tires covered... Of course the tread looks great, used very little, but I know to look for sidewall cracks, can't see any.
would you replace?? If so what brand do you like? Load range D on there now, would you go up to an E?? Don't have money to just throw away on new tires, but the old saying--- don't be a penny wise and a pound foolish may apply here. Your thoughts.
rich
34 REPLIES 34

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, I give up. You're going to interpret it the way you wish, so any further comment is useless.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"You prove the point as much as argue it. You admittedly put a higher rated tire on. You now have a tire on that is capable of more abuse and your problems went away. That doesn’t mean the lower rated tire was not capable within it’s ratings but it could mean that you were pushing their limits."

Actually the tires that were replaced were rated more than capable for the load they were carrying. They were rated at around 3500 lbs. and, since I have weighed each wheel, I knew they were carrying a max of 2500 lbs. per wheel. Way under rated for the load.

And you are seriously jumping to conclusions. I actually thought about replacing the "E" rated ST tires with "E" rated LT tires in the same size because, rated at 3000 lbs., they would be enough to carry the weight. I went instead with a slightly higher rated tire than the ST tires, 3700 lbs. vs 3500 lbs. because of the placarded tire weight rating on the trailer. To stay within the placarded ratings, unnecessary I know, I would have had to replace the lousy ST tires with another set of lousy ST tires. Instead I went with the Sailun tire, which at that time was rated an LT tire.

I stand by my opinion that the China-made ST tires of the era installed on heavy, long 5th wheel trailers were insufficient for the job. They may be fine now, but those installed around 2009-2012 were not up to the task.

Then we agree. There are better tires and you have them.

You can’t argue the ACTUAL point of my comment. You abuse the tires you ask for trouble. But nobody wants to admit it may be their fault.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"You prove the point as much as argue it. You admittedly put a higher rated tire on. You now have a tire on that is capable of more abuse and your problems went away. That doesn’t mean the lower rated tire was not capable within it’s ratings but it could mean that you were pushing their limits."

Actually the tires that were replaced were rated more than capable for the load they were carrying. They were rated at around 3500 lbs. and, since I have weighed each wheel, I knew they were carrying a max of 2500 lbs. per wheel. Way under rated for the load.

And you are seriously jumping to conclusions. I actually thought about replacing the "E" rated ST tires with "E" rated LT tires in the same size because, rated at 3000 lbs., they would be enough to carry the weight. I went instead with a slightly higher rated tire than the ST tires, 3700 lbs. vs 3500 lbs. because of the placarded tire weight rating on the trailer. To stay within the placarded ratings, unnecessary I know, I would have had to replace the lousy ST tires with another set of lousy ST tires. Instead I went with the Sailun tire, which at that time was rated an LT tire.

I stand by my opinion that the China-made ST tires of the era installed on heavy, long 5th wheel trailers were insufficient for the job. They may be fine now, but those installed around 2009-2012 were not up to the task.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
SabreCanuck wrote:
No truer words ever spoken. The one thing that is more to blame than any of them that nobody ever talks about is “I’m a dumbass driver”. U-turns, curb rubs, overspeed, overweight all can contribute but of course it’s never MY fault. Lol.
Well, if all these flats are the fault of the driver, how come so many of them never reoccur when decent tires are installed? I had two flats within 2 years and less than 8,000 miles after buying a new 5th wheel. It's been over three times that long, and probably 3 times as many miles since I installed new tires, with no issues whatever. My driving style hasn't changed, the truck and trailer are the same, the only difference is the tires. Well, to be honest I now travel at higher speeds when I can, since I now have tires rated to more than 65 mph. Hmm, let me think about this.

As usual the text gets twisted. I didn't say ALL but You can’t possibly argue that abusing a tire in the manner described will shorten the life of the tire? My point remains the same.... most people will never admit that they could possibly be the problem.

You prove the point as much as argue it. You admittedly put a higher rated tire on. You now have a tire on that is capable of more abuse and your problems went away. That doesn’t mean the lower rated tire was not capable within it’s ratings but it could mean that you were pushing their limits.
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SabreCanuck wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how many people recommend tires based on NAME and not load rating. Just cause it’s a Goodyear don’t mean it’s big enough tire for all applications. I wouldn’t install another E rated tire on my trailer. Go up in rating don’t fret so much about mfg.

Well said........never ceases to amaze me either........and only on an RV forum with its tire drama.

Based on these RV forum tire threads when I drive daily on state routes 31, 711, and sometimes 381 here in PA, that lead from a PA turnpike exit to three state parks and at least a dozen large private parks/campgrounds, the road shoulders should be clogged with people changing all these flat tires going by these threads. Especially so on Friday afternoons and Sundays as its literally rig after rig and is a huge tourist destination known as the Laurel Highlands. I don't see it. Its not all weekend warriors towing 20 miles from home a few times a season either, as the license tags are from all over the place.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
SabreCanuck wrote:
No truer words ever spoken. The one thing that is more to blame than any of them that nobody ever talks about is “I’m a dumbass driver”. U-turns, curb rubs, overspeed, overweight all can contribute but of course it’s never MY fault. Lol.
Well, if all these flats are the fault of the driver, how come so many of them never reoccur when decent tires are installed? I had two flats within 2 years and less than 8,000 miles after buying a new 5th wheel. It's been over three times that long, and probably 3 times as many miles since I installed new tires, with no issues whatever. My driving style hasn't changed, the truck and trailer are the same, the only difference is the tires. Well, to be honest I now travel at higher speeds when I can, since I now have tires rated to more than 65 mph. Hmm, let me think about this.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
SabreCanuck wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how many people recommend tires based on NAME and not load rating. Just cause it’s a Goodyear don’t mean it’s big enough tire for all applications. I wouldn’t install another E rated tire on my trailer. Go up in rating don’t fret so much about mfg.

In addition, blaming the brand for tire failures whatever it may be. All possible factors should be evaluated - age of tire, inflation, alignment, and balance. All will contribute to the life of your tires (and failure).

Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:

In addition, blaming the brand for tire failures whatever it may be. All possible factors should be evaluated - age of tire, inflation, alignment, and balance. All will contribute to the life of your tires (and failure).
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Very few if any failure reports on the 16" G Sailun S637 in all the trailering world (Commercial and RV) unlike over 30 members who have reported Maxxis ST8008 failure on this website alone.

We have much better 15" ST class tires out here than Maxxis ST8008 especially when we look in on the many rv and non rv trailering website forums. Doing so will give us a better input on a particular tire's long term reliability and mileage expected.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

okiefatman
Explorer
Explorer
One word MAXXIS for 15 inch for 16 inch SAILUNS. These two brands are as good as you can get no matter the price.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

rubio07
Explorer
Explorer
I had nothing but problems from Good Year marathons on my rig, lots of blow outs. I switched to Michelin light truck tires with an E load rating. I run 80psi and have not had any tire issues since.
2011 Keystone Cougar 324 rlb
2000 Ford F250

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis, 7 yr old tires and you say just change the steering tires ??? what the hell ??? Yea now when the rear tire blows he can replace the tire along with the fender well. Don't be stupid !
Dennis Hoppert

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
my bad learjet I was thinking of g670