cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy camper “Boater Home”

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Well came across this on You Tube. Wasn’t sure if this should be here or the truck camper forum? Or even an Avion/Airstream forum? Or for that matter a boating forum!!! I know stuff like this is done quite often, but this one is cool!

Happy camper/Boater Home!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
17 REPLIES 17

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Use google images and search for "small houseboat" and you'll find dozens of examples that are no different than this conversion. They're nothing more than enclosed pontoon boats; and there is very little mass up high. In fact, this one is actually shorter than most small houseboats. I've spent time on small houseboats on lakes; yes, including spending time on the top deck.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that thing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MrWizard
take a second look
not flat bottom,
the deck sits on (3) platoons, all the fresh water, and waste tanks are down low for ballast
the camper is no higher above water, than it would be on the back of a PU truck, and the boat is much wider and longer than a truck

i don't think the 'center of gravity' is as high up as some people think it is

i might not use the sun deck up top while moving, but it is a sun deck, not really a party deck, all that is on the lower deck
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the "house boats" I've seen are pretty wide compared to their height. That thing looks very narrow, appears to have a pretty flat bottom, and lots of weight up high. Thanks, but no thanks.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
All of the naysayers here have obviously never taken a look at any houseboat, thousands of which are in use every day, on lakes and rivers all over the country.

That is a really bitchen conversion of an old camper, giving it new life as a small houseboat. Kudos to them!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
It's fine for lakes. There are plenty of problems with it but for small lakes like it's in... No probs.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Jeez, almost as bad as the you tube comments. It doesn’t look or seem too heavy to me?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
That ocean liner has tons of weight below the water line.
If you can't figure out the potential problem by just looking at the video...
...and you can see the hull shape and how it's ballasted by looking at the video? :R

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Unstable, top-heavy, it's going to go turtle. Good thing we have nautical engineers around here with intimate knowledge about the design and construction of that thing to warn us.

That ocean liner has tons of weight below the water line.
If you can't figure out the potential problem by just looking at the video...

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Unstable, top-heavy, it's going to go turtle. Good thing we have nautical engineers around here with intimate knowledge about the design and construction of that thing to warn us.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the word "topheavy" immediately come to mind?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
One more problem...

That bed must be at least six feet above the water. Every little ripple will be magnified, rocking the bed back and forth a foot or more.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Looks really unstable. First decent wake it takes on the side, I expect it will go turtle.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Agree that it is nice, but isn't Happy Camper a brand of holding tank treatment? More research on the name would have been a good thing.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS