cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Off Road Fever in Australia

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Off Road Caravans and Motorhomes are sprouting up like mushrooms after the rain. This is a one off for a Customer by Kedron
Some features
Designed to run the appliances including the air-conditioning when free camping, the big-ticket 12V system includes the 1000W-plus solar panels that top up a 900Ah Enerdrive lithium battery system, (three 300amp lithium power packs), backed by two 1800W-plus inverters that slot under the bed.
The electrics are controlled from an overhead locker with more switches than an aeroplane cockpit, including gauges and switches for the grey water tank, battery charger, and hot water system. The Kedron also boasts a new โ€œbooster and repeater stationโ€ set-up to enhance out-of-town mobile reception .Itโ€™s the first TopEnder model fitted with Kedronโ€™s new โ€˜ALSโ€™ auto-levelling airbag suspension. Twelve months in development and designed with the Airbag Man, the ALS system includes a dedicated external locker containing a German-made pump, air inflation tank and hand-held control offering three โ€˜autoโ€™ modes: off-road, highway and parked, along with manual adjustmentThereโ€™s a speed sensor located on the rearmost axle, that will automatically flick over to highway mode if accidentally left in โ€˜parkedโ€™, at speeds over 20km/h. Likewise, it will default to highway mode from off-road, at speeds over 80km/h.

There's also a second pump fitted, for inflating tyres on both the caravan and tow vehicle.

All six wheels are stopped by disc brakes, and feature KRS removable stub axles.
The extra-long 3.2m long kitchen bench features two sinks plus a drainer, a separate tap delivering instant chilled, filtered or boiling water, a domestic-style pull-out dishwasher, a combination convection microwave/oven, a three burner (two gas/one induction) cooktop, a six-bottle wine chiller, and a compressor 95L fridge/freezer drawer along with a full-height 218L compressor fridge freeze

Now the SLR Commander one of several new Off Road Caravans and Motorhomes too make a appearance lately. They/make a range of Off Road Motohomes( they sell internationally) and Caravans. Another debutante below

Sniper X Off Road Hybrid Caravan
22 REPLIES 22

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
normal_dave wrote:
I guess I'm thinking with all the discussion about quality issues, an American manufacturer could take a shot at a version of one of these, focus on rugged and quality overall, maybe capture a decent market share (yes narrow)...

RobertRyan wrote:
In a scenario of higher prices generally, could get away with it. If the mindset is price comes first not quality or innovation then your behind the eightball

Well we're back from our weekend trip and our tin & cardboard Coachmen seemed to survive just fine, no more issues that I know of aside from the previous leaks and cracked frame. :S

The problem here in N America is we long ago got used to and now insist upon WalMart pricing for just about everything, including RVs, and until we change our own tune the manufacturers are going to continue giving us only what we're willing to pay for. It's just a different mindset Downunder. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeeessss,, But, we also got used to working for Wal Mart wages. To buy a nice RV you need to have the money to make the purchase. It goes both ways.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
I guess I'm thinking with all the discussion about quality issues, an American manufacturer could take a shot at a version of one of these, focus on rugged and quality overall, maybe capture a decent market share (yes narrow)...

RobertRyan wrote:
In a scenario of higher prices generally, could get away with it. If the mindset is price comes first not quality or innovation then your behind the eightball

Well we're back from our weekend trip and our tin & cardboard Coachmen seemed to survive just fine, no more issues that I know of aside from the previous leaks and cracked frame. :S

The problem here in N America is we long ago got used to and now insist upon WalMart pricing for just about everything, including RVs, and until we change our own tune the manufacturers are going to continue giving us only what we're willing to pay for. It's just a different mindset Downunder. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
Hi Robert, what's the local "scoop" on these?
Kokoda Cadet Platinum

In a small trailer layout with no slides, I think this bunk system is great for kids, each one has a window, power port, light. The dining area makes better use of wall space, of course suspension and frame appeal to me for light off-road type travel, and better durability and ride overall.

I also recall reading some of the caravans were Chinese built and imported. (not positive about that).

Not Caravans , Camper Trailers. Campaign against Chinese built as some shonky welding etc. Earlier there were few importers of Australian designed but Chinese built Caravans
They did not last long, people not happy about Chinese built anything and especially now
Kokoda uses various local builders for their โ€œbrand,โ€not bad quality though .Many Caravan manufacturers are built in house. Some dealers have a โ€œ brandโ€ built for their dealership by a manufacturer that may make several brands
The Goshen Indiana for Australia is Camberwell Victoria. Many Caravans built there .
Caravan production also in Sydney, Western Australia, Queensland( extreme Off Road), Newcastle NSW, Tasmania and some production scattered elsewhere.

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Friends of ours recently ordered a Vactioner Roughrider for delivery in Dec, just in time for summer exploring. :B

GrandpaKip wrote:
Nice camper. Donโ€™t think most would pay $60k for a 22โ€™ TT, though. Especially with the door on the wrong side.

I don't know what they actually paid for this Vacationer but I'd be surprised if it's as little as $60K AUD. Last Nov I went to a caravan show and really liked this 19' Avan Frances which is strictly an on-road model, show selling price $49,950 AUD.

Keep in mind though that in Australia quoted prices are usually out-the-door, on-the-road, and include everything, and if I understand correctly also the first year's insurance. Converted to US$ Australian caravans are still definitely more expensive than here in N America but IMO they're also noticeably better quality in just about every respect, whether on-road or off-road. The difference is startling.

I'd love to stay and continue the debate but I'm going camping now in my tin and cardboard US manufactured camper. :W

I am looking at Lake Hartwell as I type and have coffee.
I looked up the Vacationer at a dealer site. That really is a fantastic unit. I converted their asking price to $US.
Yeah, I guess Iโ€™ll stick with our substandard camper, too. Hope it makes it back home before falling apart.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Robert, what's the local "scoop" on these?
Kokoda Cadet Platinum

In a small trailer layout with no slides, I think this bunk system is great for kids, each one has a window, power port, light. The dining area makes better use of wall space, of course suspension and frame appeal to me for light off-road type travel, and better durability and ride overall.

I also recall reading some of the caravans were Chinese built and imported. (not positive about that).
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Zone RV Off Road version

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Friends of ours recently ordered a Vactioner Roughrider for delivery in Dec, just in time for summer exploring. :B

GrandpaKip wrote:
Nice camper. Donโ€™t think most would pay $60k for a 22โ€™ TT, though. Especially with the door on the wrong side.

I don't know what they actually paid for this Vacationer but I'd be surprised if it's as little as $60K AUD. Last Nov I went to a caravan show and really liked this 19' Avan Frances which is strictly an on-road model, show selling price $49,950 AUD.

Keep in mind though that in Australia quoted prices are usually out-the-door, on-the-road, and include everything, and if I understand correctly also the first year's insurance. Converted to US$ Australian caravans are still definitely more expensive than here in N America but IMO they're also noticeably better quality in just about every respect, whether on-road or off-road. The difference is startling.

I'd love to stay and continue the debate but I'm going camping now in my tin and cardboard US manufactured camper. :W

Add in 80 TT , 18 Motorhome, 15-20 Camper Trailer ( see Sniper X) 6 TC and 5th Wheel manufacturers

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Great pictures. The Aussies do have access to a lot of Outback.

You cannot compare the price of a foreign made product unless you account for the labor wage.

More than that. Size of the marketetc. Vast number of. variables

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
This is a one off for a Customer by Kedron
Some features

The innovation is incredible in these units. Too bad in America we just get the same old stuff that has been made the same since the 1960's with 1980's interiors, and they are now called 2018 models.

Very very much agree. Look at some of the tiny Egg Campers around except for the new Canadian Armadillo, they all look like they were built in 1970 in the US, in our case 1960โ€™s

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Hey Robert, I'm always amazed at the things you find. I guess there is no excuse for our friend Whazoo to tow a trailer now . ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for sharing,
Bob

Bob my Sister and my self like going too the many frequent Caravan and Camping Shows and seeing what some regional manufacturers produce. For a smallish country Australia has a vast number of RV manufacturers. Compare that too Canada that is primarily using US RVโ€™s with some local Motorhome manufacturers

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Robert, I'm always amazed at the things you find. I guess there is no excuse for our friend Whazoo to tow a trailer now . ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for sharing,
Bob

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures. The Aussies do have access to a lot of Outback.

You cannot compare the price of a foreign made product unless you account for the labor wage.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.