cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hensley/Propride owners -- Leaving trailer for maintenance?

pullin2
Explorer
Explorer
If your hitch has a "non-standard" connection like Hensleys etc. what do you do when leaving your trailer at a dealer for maintenance? I found out this week that my shop isn't set up to move a Hensley around, they have no stinger on their yard forklift. I offered to leave my stinger, but discovered they don't have a Class V receiver on their yard equipment either (mine's the larger receiver).

It appears my only option is to remove the Hensley from the trailer or hope the forklift operator is careful. They said they could move it around, but it would be difficult.

How do other owners handle this? Do you remove the Hensley when you get to the dealer? Or can yours handle it OK? I'm assuming ProPrides are similar, and don't hook up via a ball (not sure though).

Thanks for any replies. Still not sure how to handle this.
RB, JC (& a few dogs)
2017 Ram CC LB Cummins,
35' Windjammer
30' Sea Ray
I used to tandem-tow (hence my username), but my trailers grew too big.
11 REPLIES 11

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I would remove if I ever took to a dealer. Good time to go ahead and lube the ball while it is off anyway.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I had a ball coupler welded to a stinger. I also become proficient in removing the Hensley entirely. Either way it was not a big deal
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

pullin2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the responses. Thanks JohnTinaCamping for the info on the lot bar. Didn't know about that, and I may buy one. Also thanks for the info on problems leaving it (dalenoel and MikeInOregon). I still have the old equalizer and may do like Galvanizd and remove it when necessary.

For this time, I've found a repair shop that will let me place it for them, and come back to get it later. They promised not to try to move it (I assured them I'd be local, and would even leave work if it needed moved during the week).
RB, JC (& a few dogs)
2017 Ram CC LB Cummins,
35' Windjammer
30' Sea Ray
I used to tandem-tow (hence my username), but my trailers grew too big.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Never taken mine in to the dealer. I've taken mine off to lube the ball. Wasn't that tough. Just attached it to the stinger and pulled the whole thing away with the truck. Pretty much just the opposite of putting it on.
If I had to leave it for service , I would probably just take it off.

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
It is a very great theft deterrent!
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

MikeInOregon
Explorer
Explorer
I have only taken my trailer to the dealer one time for service. We left the ProPride hitch bar for them to use to connect to a truck or receiver on a forklift. When we returned to pick up the trailer they had left the hitch bar attached in the receiver of the hitch. I couldn't pull it out by hand. The dealer attached a strap to the hitch bar and tugged on it with their forklift to pull it from the hitch.

I'll never take the trailer to a dealer again. I either handle the problems and modifications myself or when I've needed help I use a mobile RV tech. The mobile RV techs have been great! There is no waiting a long time for service, they come to you and they have good RV knowledge.
2015 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost
2015 Creekside 20FQ
ProPride Hitch

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
You bring up a valid point about using ANY non standard hitch

If the TT needs to be moved by another vehicle for any reason, be it service or a roadside breakdown.... You may find it diffcult to get it done.

My TV has a 2.5 receiver... But I stayed with the 2" drawbar, because 1. it is rated the same as the 2.5", and 2. if I need to move it with another TV, it can be done much easier.

In my case,(as in most peoples) there is zero benefit of the 2.5 bar, and some downsides.

BTW. The reason the 2.5 bars are not generally rated higher is that the entire bar is not 2.5..... The drop/rise portion is 2". That is the limiting factor.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

johntinacamping
Explorer
Explorer
ProPride sells a "lot bar" for this purpose. It's pricey though: https://www.propridehitch.com/propride-3p-hitch-lot-bar-with-link-locking-plate/

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our Hensley Arrow, we had a stinger made with a standard ball attached to it. So when we left it at the dealer for work, we left the stinger attachment in it. DH had a local shop make it for him.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
With our ProPride hitch I left the stinger inside the trailer sitting on a board.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not take the Hensley off when in for service. They moved it but had a problem. When setting it down they bent the power jack and needed to replace it. Other than that it was not a problem. I always asked before just leaving it.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi