cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who has a Drone they take Camping?

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
I know drones are a bit of a two way street, some people love them and others hate them. Admittedly they can be noisy and a nuisance if flown in the wrong place. In many places they are often restricted from flying for various reasons. That being said, they are going to be part of our future in one form or another.

There are times when having a drone to take some pictures unobtainable the usual way is handy and quite fun. It can also be handy to do some basic scouting if say a particular stretch of off highway road looks troublesome and you aren't certain how far it stretches.

I have yet to take my own drone (Parrot Bebop 2) flying with me while camping but I anticipate I'll probably do it on my next trip. Does anyone else have a drone they take with them while camping and if so, what have you used it for and what precautions do you take to not upset others?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
145 REPLIES 145

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:
So, there is actually only one possible violation in that 2nd pic; flying over people (and even that is questionable; the drone is actually over the road, while the people are off to the sides...how far away do they have to be to make it OK? I don't know; do you?). As for the road, you even admit that there are no cars on the road, so that is NOT a violation (unless a car shows up, correct?) Which is why in my original post
In any case, my initial point was simply that you stated, quite clearly, that his pics appeared to directly violate at least 2 FAA rules; Since I am not a drone owner/operator but would like to eventually own one, I simply asked what those violations were, and rather than clarify, you instead made us all jump through hoops to finally get an answer to a seemingly simple question. Was that really necessary?

I specifically said "APPEARS"to be two violations, which you reference above.

What I think is a violation, or what you think, is probably going to be different than what some cowboy FAA official thinks. And citations and warnings have been know to come in the mail with the only evidence being a Youtube video or other social media post. Have you ever had any dealings with OSHA? its the same thing with the FAA. The regs are all open to interpretation by the enforcing entity and right, wrong, or indifferent you are going to be on the losing end about 99% of the time. Sure you can plead your case, good luck. As an example...."No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or wreckless so as to endanger the life or property of another". That's a broad catch all.

Now all of this spiel is taking into account that your chances of receiving a citation via certified mail from the FAA is about as common as having a bag of cash fall from a plane and land in your yard, but it does happen.

You can not tell from that picture exactly where the rafts are in relation to the drone as far as a direct vertical drop, and neither can the FAA. Neither could the pilot verify it. As far as the road you can interpret the FAA regs as you wish. In one of the citations linked below a person was cited and one of the specific violations listed was "You deliberately operated the above described aircraft at extremely low altitudes over buildings,vehicles,people, streets and structures". Just because there is no car on the road in the specific picture matters little to the FAA.

Here is some good reading material, granted most include some violation of classified or restricted airspace, but most also include some bonehead move by the pilot, like crashing into the roof of the US capitol.

FAA
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
4x4van wrote:
I don't own a drone, and have no interest in going through the required reading to test for and obtain an RPC. And what makes you so sure that "pheelsgoodman" is required to have a RPC, as opposed to simply flying his unit under the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft - Section 336"?

Which is why I asked you what the violations were. If you are unwilling to clarify your accusations, then perhaps you shouldn't have made them.

No where did I even get anywhere close to saying pheelsgoodman is required to have a remote pilot certificate. Take a good look at that picture. There are people in those rafts, and it APPEARS the drone is hovering over two public roads which is fine, until the first car comes along. Maybe that shot is over a closed road and the people in those rafts were part of his video production, then its ***** good. Perhaps you should not attempt to not put words in people's mouths. Accusations? LOL.

You missed my point....I have probably violated every rule in the book at one time or another,maybe,possibly, and I hold an RPC because I need it for my business. I do not however post pictures and videos on SM and YouTube doing so, because that can be how you get certified letters in the mail from a certain government entity, which happens way more than most people believe. Are you going to get one flying in upper east hicksville Wyoming and posting a video? Probably not......try it in an urban area anywhere close to restricted airspace and post it up on Youtube, see what happens.

Sincerly.....the drone police.
So, there is actually only one possible violation in that 2nd pic; flying over people (and even that is questionable; the drone is actually over the road, while the people are off to the sides...how far away do they have to be to make it OK? I don't know; do you?). As for the road, you even admit that there are no cars on the road, so that is NOT a violation (unless a car shows up, correct?)

In any case, my initial point was simply that you stated, quite clearly, that his pics appeared to directly violate at least 2 FAA rules; Since I am not a drone owner/operator but would like to eventually own one, I simply asked what those violations were, and rather than clarify, you instead made us all jump through hoops to finally get an answer to a seemingly simple question. Was that really necessary?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:
I don't own a drone, and have no interest in going through the required reading to test for and obtain an RPC. And what makes you so sure that "pheelsgoodman" is required to have a RPC, as opposed to simply flying his unit under the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft - Section 336"?

Which is why I asked you what the violations were. If you are unwilling to clarify your accusations, then perhaps you shouldn't have made them.

No where did I even get anywhere close to saying pheelsgoodman is required to have a remote pilot certificate. Take a good look at that picture. There are people in those rafts, and it APPEARS the drone is hovering over two public roads which is fine, until the first car comes along. Maybe that shot is over a closed road and the people in those rafts were part of his video production, then its ***** good. Perhaps you should not attempt to not put words in people's mouths. Accusations? LOL.

You missed my point....I have probably violated every rule in the book at one time or another,maybe,possibly, and I hold an RPC because I need it for my business. I do not however post pictures and videos on SM and YouTube doing so, because that can be how you get certified letters in the mail from a certain government entity, which happens way more than most people believe. Are you going to get one flying in upper east hicksville Wyoming and posting a video? Probably not......try it in an urban area anywhere close to restricted airspace and post it up on Youtube, see what happens.

Sincerly.....the drone police.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
pheelsgoodman wrote:
I've had several drones. Started with hobby built models a few years back. Last drone I purchased, DJI Mavic Pro. Really don't need to buy another.... The Mavic flys further than I ever need, travels and folds well, and has plenty of accessories available. The water proof hardcase for controller and extra batteries is a must for being on the road.

Anyways, the utility of these little devices is pretty incredible. Some of its uses are pretty obvious, but others you may discover later.

Because the Mavic streams video right to your cell phone, there isn't much hassle involved with the scouting process. Unpack and unfold the drone, boot up the controller and cellphone. Send the launch command, and the drone practically flies itself and sends its video image back to your phone instantly.

Other than just general photography, the drone serves as a pretty handy scouting tool. Most of my scouting is for fishing and hunting. I can launch the drone when showing up to a new area to get a birds eye view of the land. They also make a pretty good conversation piece, and it has been a great ice breaker for neighbors at RV parks.

Anyways, pretty handy. And if your traveling to sight-see, a drone gives you a completely new angle for sights that most will miss.

First picture is a river I've parked by to scout. No visibility of the river at all because of tall brush and bank.

Second picture.... much better.

Pit stops can be frequent.

Some pictures you just cant get from the ground.

The neighbors...

Those are great pictures but based on the same they appears to show at least 2 direct violations of FAA regulations, not to mention the wind farm operator may have taken slight issue with someone flying drones anywhere near a turbine. Around here those operators are testy if you just walk onto one of their leased parcels.

No...not the drone police, but being a holder of an FAA RPC, and having dabbled in it commercially while pushing the envelope myself with the regs if you will in regards to locations and altitudes, you may want to not post footage to publicly accessible sites and such.
Just curious, exactly which 2 FAA regulations were violated in these pics?

1: Having fun
2: Enjoying Yourself
The world according to Ralph

I love this forum, it's the greatest. Some of you geezers need to work on your reading Comprension LOL.

Hint, what "APPEAR" to be direct violations are in the 2nd picture. Registering and reading the info for simple hobbyist registration is one thing. Read the required info, learn, then take the test and obtain an RPC, then you'll know.

Start Here.

You don't need any certificate unless your flying for commercial use. You do have to register the drone which takes 5 minutes and $5 and thats it.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Farmboy666 wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
pheelsgoodman wrote:
I've had several drones. Started with hobby built models a few years back. Last drone I purchased, DJI Mavic Pro. Really don't need to buy another.... The Mavic flys further than I ever need, travels and folds well, and has plenty of accessories available. The water proof hardcase for controller and extra batteries is a must for being on the road.

Anyways, the utility of these little devices is pretty incredible. Some of its uses are pretty obvious, but others you may discover later.

Because the Mavic streams video right to your cell phone, there isn't much hassle involved with the scouting process. Unpack and unfold the drone, boot up the controller and cellphone. Send the launch command, and the drone practically flies itself and sends its video image back to your phone instantly.

Other than just general photography, the drone serves as a pretty handy scouting tool. Most of my scouting is for fishing and hunting. I can launch the drone when showing up to a new area to get a birds eye view of the land. They also make a pretty good conversation piece, and it has been a great ice breaker for neighbors at RV parks.

Anyways, pretty handy. And if your traveling to sight-see, a drone gives you a completely new angle for sights that most will miss.

First picture is a river I've parked by to scout. No visibility of the river at all because of tall brush and bank.

The neighbors...

Those are great pictures but based on the same they appears to show at least 2 direct violations of FAA regulations, not to mention the wind farm operator may have taken slight issue with someone flying drones anywhere near a turbine. Around here those operators are testy if you just walk onto one of their leased parcels.

No...not the drone police, but being a holder of an FAA RPC, and having dabbled in it commercially while pushing the envelope myself with the regs if you will in regards to locations and altitudes, you may want to not post footage to publicly accessible sites and such.

I love this forum, it's the greatest. Some of you geezers need to work on your reading Comprension LOL.

Hint, what "APPEAR" to be direct violations are in the 2nd picture. Registering and reading the info for simple hobbyist registration is one thing. Read the required info, learn, then take the test and obtain an RPC, then you'll know.

Start Here.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

Zieman Jetski Trailer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Farmboy666 wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
pheelsgoodman wrote:

The neighbors...

Start Here.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
pheelsgoodman wrote:

The neighbors...

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:

I'm kind of curious too. I paid the fee, read the rules and registered mine with the FAA. Beyond altitude restrictions, other no-nos are flying above people and cars (neither of which appear to be the case here).
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
pheelsgoodman wrote:

The neighbors...

Zieman Jetski Trailer

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
The drone would lose, badly, I've seen it, not a scratch on the car it hit.

This is kind of an embarrassing clip I shot with my Phantom 3 (and actually contains RV content). It's a "big" drone by most standards. I hit the back of my Avalanche with it. All it did was knock some crusty ice and salt off the tailgate.

They might scuff up something the previously was not scuffed, and I get that would be the responsibility of the operator. But these irrational fears of serious damage, death and dismemberment are unfounded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs9Mp4BmDZU
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Only read the first page, but you guys could take the fun out of a bj.......
Donโ€™t have a drone, but theyโ€™re cool.

So it would be really "fun" for a drone to crash into your RV or truck and damage it?

You are going to be laughing all the way to the RV repair facility as you get your checkbook out to pay for it?

How about they break your skylight and then it starts pouring rain? Sooo funny!!! Please post the pictures of the big smile on your face when it happens.

Drones may be fun...but not in the campground around others RV's or vehicles.

I'm guessing from this post that you really don't actually know much about drones.

They fly.

In order to fly hey have to be pretty lightweight, it's kind of a thing......

A typical hobby drone weighs under 3 pounds, unless it shut down completely in mid-flight (highly unlikely, they have fail-safes to land if they lose contact or battery drops to an unsafe level) it would at best be a collision.

The drone would lose, badly, I've seen it, not a scratch on the car it hit.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
ChuckSteed wrote:
Drones are fun and I wouldnโ€™t mind having one myself. It flying them in and around RVs isnโ€™t the place to fly them.

On another thread a few months ago someone said that some RV parks for snowbirders have courses to fly or race drones, and other things like courses for RC cars. That sounds like fun, if the drone doesn't take up too much space in the RV. Getting old isn't so bad if it means I can be a kid again.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV