cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help: 2 axle seal failures on this trip, leaking again

cgreer00
Explorer
Explorer
The front left axle seal is leaking badly on our motorhome and I am losing hope in getting it fixed. Plus we are well over 1,000 miles from home in the middle of a 6 week trip. I don't know what to do at this point.

When we got to our destination in Florida I could smell something burning when I hit the brakes and saw fluid all over the inner rim of the wheel. A mobile mechanic came out and repaired it with a seal he cross-listed from NAPA. We made it up the coast to Virginia and once again there was oil all over the front rim. We had the seal replaced this morning at a very well-rated truck shop with a National part, and they said it should be good to go. We have made it 100 miles up the road and all of the oil has leaked out again. We are outside of Salisbury Maryland and in a campsite for two days...supposed to head out Sunday when nothing is open. I told the shop this morning to look closely and make sure that ALL of the old seal was gone, including the wear indicator. They said that they did.

So why is it leaking so badly again? My wife and kids are definitely tired of dealing with it, and I am as well. It is threatening to grenade the trip we have been planning for months.

Can I put thicker Lucas Hub oil in it to slow the leak? Is there something else I can do? At this point I have lost confidence in any of the shops on the road being able to fix it, and I can't keep paying $300 for a shop to put in a seal that fails almost immediately.
28 REPLIES 28

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for taking the time to let everyone know what the problem was and how it worked out. Glad you got the problem solved. Happy Trails bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

cgreer00
Explorer
Explorer
Well both of the previous mechanics left the metal piece of the OEM Stemco seal in the hub, so the new seals failed when they were installed on top of it. If you find this thread in the future, make SURE that your mechanic knows to remove the wear ring piece before installing ANY new seal, aftermarket or OEM. Fortunately both of the previous mechanics are going to refund money to me.

cgreer00
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't pull to the side and the hub isn't getting hot at all. Same temp as the other side. They are going to work on it tomorrow, I'll update.

Itasca55
Explorer
Explorer
w22 front spindle getting hot taking out seals. That's a shot bearing or dragging caliper .. They have oil in the hub ?

Itasca55

Does it pull to one side when you hit the brake ? Collapsed brake line can do some strange stuff like this.. if it's not the bearing or caliper. This is big deal when your heating hub up that much.

cgreer00
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies everyone. The calipers are fine, were checked at both facilities. The vent hole is also fine, no issues there. I have ordered two of the Workhorse official seals to be delivered to the repair facility in Boston. We are in Danbury, CT for the night and will drive in to Boston tomorrow. I am pulling off every 100 miles and refilling the hub with a mix of synthetic and Lucus hub oil and it seems to be doing the trick...no heat issues today. What I am really hoping is that the wear ring from the original WH seal is still in the hub and is the culprit since it isn't compatible with aftermarket seals and will cause them to leak. I will update you all after the next repair. On another forum a poster said that in a worst-case scenario I can just have them pack it with grease to finish my trip and then sort it out from the comfort of home when we aren't in the middle of a massive trip.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Link to caliper issues.
Caliper issues Recall

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi,

I don't know if this will help or not, but....

When my 2004 W-22 went in for the brake recall at our local Workhorse repair shop, they replaced the left front seal as part of the repair. This was in December. Once it came home, I didn't drive the moho again until April, and when I did an inspection, I saw it was leaking. This, after about 100 miles on the seal. I brought it in and they inspected it and the WH Rep told the Manager "Another botched seal.".

Now, I also remember reading at the time this was done that those who replaced the seal with a non-Workhorse replacement, tended to have more problems with leaks. I would think that a WH facility would use only WH parts, but the WH seals were considerably more expensive than the NAPA et al replacements. So, I can't say for sure they used a non-WH seal that time, but it wouldn't surprise me, either. The replacement seal they installed has been good since then (going on maybe 5-6 years, I think). (Yes, I know WH isn't manufacturing the seals, but there apparently was something different about their's compared to the other, cheaper versions, on the market, perhaps reflecting some of the statements made previously in this thread about the types of seals.)

So in addition to the suggestions made by others above, you might want to try using an official Workhorse replacement seal.

Good luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I have replaced HUNDREDS of seals on semi's, semi trailers, large trucks, oil and grease, either one will work.
With 3 failures something is being missed.
There might even be a cracked/defective hub. ???

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you find the NAPA and National seal numbers? If you have please post!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

cgreer00
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies, I will show them this thread before they attempt the repair in Boston. I have ordered 2 STEMCO seals (just in case) to be overnighted to the repair place we will use in Boston. Quick question: do the seals come with a wear ring, or is it a separate part? I am not sure, if this point, if the wear ring was ever removed even though I told them to look for it. If it was removed, then I am not sure I can get my hands on a new one if it doesn't come with the STEMCO seal. I am hoping the problem is the wear ring, because the NAPA seal and the National seal both failed within a few hundred miles of installation.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Out of spec (too loose) wheel bearing clearance can also contribute to seal wear and the wheel works/wobbles.

Have they checked for proper end-play (.003- .005")?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twomed wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Switch to grease instead of oil. My front axle and tag are grease.

I was thinking bad advice LOL, but then I read the disclaimer in your Sig.

Perhaps the OP should switch to peanut oil, Crisco, or urine. I would think if it's gear oil coming out, that's what is specified to be used for the application unless some dummy in the past worked some magic?

"specified"???

Always a choice...wet seals or grease...Ford or Chevy...but your comments were not helpful to the situation at all. Suggest you Google the pros/cons.

I find it hard to believe that the manufacturer, whether its Ford, Chevy, or anyone else, does not have a spec for a lubricant. There is a big difference between an oil and grease, especially where a seal is concerned. But then again, I have learned a lot of new things on these RV boards, especially this one, about 80% of which is BS.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
I would be checking the spindle for any marks on it, and polish it up with some crocus cloth and oil, as well when ever I install seals I always coat the lip of the seal with grease or they will burn up before the oil starts to lube the lip(s)..

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Switch to grease instead of oil. My front axle and tag are grease.

I was thinking bad advice LOL, but then I read the disclaimer in your Sig.

Perhaps the OP should switch to peanut oil, Crisco, or urine. I would think if it's gear oil coming out, that's what is specified to be used for the application unless some dummy in the past worked some magic?

"specified"???

Always a choice...wet seals or grease...Ford or Chevy...but your comments were not helpful to the situation at all. Suggest you Google the pros/cons.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843