cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Camper Load Guide

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I came up with a load-guide for truck campers today, and I thought I’d share it with you all. It’s simple, lightweight, portable, and it’s using materials I was already carrying with me anyway except for two 16 penny nails. I trust those won’t be the straws that broke the F450’s back.

I’ll try to let the pictures do most of the talking. I made one for each side from a length of braided rope, a bungy cord, and a nail in two of the leveling boards I carry.

See the nail? Put the boards under the front jacks before you raise the camper off the truck. You can toe the boards in or out to make the rope parallel with the tire sidewall. I put the nail in the end of the boards so it doesn’t affect the stack-ability of them.

Just keep the gaps even on each side as you’re backing up, and you’re straight and centered.

This is where I hook the rope on the rear jacks. That’s the bolt on the lower clamp around the jack tube.

Backing under.

If the front of the camper is flush up against the board in the front of the bed......

And these two measurements are equal, it’s perfect.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!
9 REPLIES 9

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
So stretching a string is a bother, but you want me to build a platform???

Crazy talk.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom hoop of a Stable Lift doesn’t help at all. In fact the lift makes it a little harder because of how wide it is.
I sight down the sides of the camper in the mirrors. If you have the same amount of camper on both sides and can see straight down the sides, it’s on right.

If you want to make it even easier, build a guide platform in your truck bed with angled left and right sides so if it’s a little off, it’ll nudge it into proper place as you lower your jacks. And it’ll hold it there.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Getting the truck centered between the two front jacks is usually pretty easy. I’m always amazed at how dorked up you can get things just rolling back the last four feet. Especially if the ground is a little uneven.

If you have a dually, your front jacks probably stick out further than the rear jacks which adds to the problem of staying straight under the camper.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Why bother with all that when you can just use your mirrors and back under the camper straight?

Easier said than done. 😉

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
Why bother with all that when you can just use your mirrors and back under the camper straight?

I have 1/4 inch clearance. I appreciate any technique that might help with loading. This might work or I might find a modification that will work better than the laser I am now using.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

Says the guy with a Stable Lift.

Having a straight line to follow as you’re backing under the camper is a big help to me. Kinda like that hula-hoop at the bottom of your jacks, which also serves as .............. wait for it ................. a load guide.

Plus I’m OCD.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I like. 🙂

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Excellent idea, and easy to use anywhere.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded