Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Verizon $5/mo renew method has changed?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Verizon $5/mo renew method has changed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Ramblin' Ralph

Central California Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/18 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just called the 6804 number and got the same new "no PIN option". Tried 4646 number mentioned above, which I've never used before. I entered my Mifi phone number and it tells me I'm on the $15 plan and to make a payment now. Since I've been paying $5, I decided to wait another day or 2 and see if the 6804 number starts to work like it used to. My unit expires in 2 days, so I need to do something. I guess I'll use CallingMart if needed, but wonder what will happen if I pay $5 through CM and my unit REALLY needs $15?

BTW, the eBay seller told me to "try a few times" when I reported the old number isn't working as usual He is still selling $5/mo units, so one would think that plan is still available.

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 125 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 660 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram / Twitter

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/18 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two MiFi hotspots. One is a 4620L and the other is a 6620L. The Verizon voice prompt used to say if I did not pay within 90 days of the expiration date I may lose my phone number. Since the 4620 is basically a backup, I decided to let it expire then refill 90 days later. I still had internet access 90 days past the expiration date. I then added $5 and the expiration date advanced to 30 days past the date I refilled. I had 4 months of service for $5. Right now I am 10 days past the second expiration date. I have been refilling the 6620 every month through CallingMart. I will continue refilling the 4620 every four months and see what happens. If I lose the account I would have the 4620 reflashed. I have not used the Verizon Inpulse Refill yet, but will have to do it come June 30.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 2013 Smart Car

Carl n Susan

Carmichael, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/18 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone been successful doing a renewal lately via the phone?

Ramblin' Ralph

Central California Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/18 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On Jun 17, one day before my hotspot expiration, I tried the 6804 phone number. Same new msg that allows no entry of a PIN renewal. So, I used the CallingMart RTR method to post my $5 directly to my hotspot phone number. Appears to have worked, as I still have a connection today. Of course, maybe it still works because of what Tom M found (above). [emoticon]

Note: Just tried 6804 phone number and still get the "new" msg (not allowing PIN entry).

Carl n Susan

Carmichael, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/18 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bummer! I wonder if the guys who peddle this service have any idea of what is going on? Of course they are difficult to communicate with anyway. I guess CallingMart is about to get another RTR user

Carl n Susan

Carmichael, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/18 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In anticipation of needing renewal on Friday, I tried the 6804 number again. The messages have changed again. The first response is a question asking are you calling about the phone number you are on (1) or another number (2). I picked #2 and they asked for the 10 digit number. I gave them the one associated with my MiFi and they then responded with:
"You are on a $15 plan with 300 minutes...." and "would what would you like to do?" Then they gave sample things to do such as make a payment. I said that and they went to the old drill of entering the code from a pre-paid card or your credit card number. I then bailed as I was not ready to do that.

So, I conclude you can renew via phone for $15. But will the CallingMart RTR route for $5 still work? I didn't spend enough time with the automated attendant to determine if you can determine when the next renewal date is. Maybe later when I have more time.

* This post was edited 07/02/18 11:09am by Carl n Susan *

jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/18 01:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading this thread with interest, I have one question: why is "going to a Verizon Store" never mentioned?
There surely are stores all over....can't they do what is wanted? Or am I missing something ?

* This post was last edited 06/27/18 09:14pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Ramblin' Ralph

Central California Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/18 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carl n Susan wrote:

So, I conclude you can renew via phone for $15. But will the CallingMart RTR route for $5 still work.
It worked for me, as mentioned in my previous post.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/18 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it might work
or
you might get no we can't, that doesn't exist and '20 questions'

the $5 data plans are dubious at best, i had one for a while, it quit working, and the seller went away

i did not get lucky and find 'other suppliers' for renewal

somewhere some how, this was some kind of 'special' it might have been for virtual re-sellers, government, low income ?

not stolen not illegal, but NOT out on the open market available OTC at the verizon store

and not intended for 'hotspots'

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/18 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

and not intended for 'hotspots'
All MiFis are hotspots, so I don't know what you're saying. I have had one of the $5/mo MiFis for almost two years with no problems. I purchased a second one about a year ago and recently had it flashed for unlimited 4G for $5/mo.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Verizon $5/mo renew method has changed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS