cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US 285 Colorado / New Mexico

Vacationer04
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the midst of a planned trip across Colorado to Durango and was supposed to ride the Durango Silverton train but have been informed it is out of service until further notice. I need to find out about going south from Antonito on US 285 instead of back tracking all the way to I-25. Is it comfortable for a 36 ft. gas MH towing? I have had my fill of steep climbs going to Canon City but I understand that this mountain country. I am just looking for an alternate route south to get to I-40 from where I'll be leaving on Sunday.
Thanks!
Jim & Linda E.
'04 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36WDD, 2 slides
'03 Honda CR-V EX Awd
Demco Kar-Bar & baseplate
Brake Buddy Classic

"Don't tell me it can't be done, just tell me it won't be easy."
"If I can't buy what I need, I'll make it myself."
5 REPLIES 5

Vacationer04
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed our trip on the C&T but had to do it from Raton, NM as we could not climb US160 from Walsenberg, CO. due to a bad O2 sensor and check engine light. Nobody seems to stock it even though it fits 10 years of GM vehicles. I have an OBDII code scanner so I can erase the light to to be able get home. 3 times so far. So we are limping back home to Missouri to regroup. Had to cancel a weeks worth of reservations in CO, NM and TX because nobody can get the part quickly or won't schedule the repair soon enough. I can fix it at home when I can get parts there and my own tools. Wish us luck.
Jim & Linda E.
'03 Honda CR-V EX Awd
Brake Buddy Classic

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have towed our 35โ€™ 5er on 285 from I-40 to Alamosa and it is no problem at all.

And fully agree on Cumbres & Toltec. Some good friends have ridden both trains and they said they liked the C&T better.

Vacationer04
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great advice about US 285. Yes, we have reservations on the Cumbres train which is our reason for Antonito. On day 7 of a 28 journey but the D&S train is cancelled and when we got to the Royal Gorge we found out $27 each just to view the bridge. Our Brake Buddy has shot ***** so it hasn't been the trip we'd planned for sure. We're considering cancelling our plans through Durango now as US 160 has been restricted and not going over Wolf Creek both ways.
Thanks again!
Jim & Linda E.
'03 Honda CR-V EX Awd
Brake Buddy Classic

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Off topic....
I assume you know about the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR in Antonito.
Beautiful train ride!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
285 is a fine road. However you should not be in a hurry. It will not do you any good.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado