cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best campgrounds in Glacier Nat. Park that allow gennys

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We are planning on visiting Glacier National Park in July and would like to hear from those that have stayed in the park campgrounds.

Based on what I've seen, the park has 13 campgrounds, with some allowing limited genny hours. We are OK with the limited hours since we have solar but still like to use the genny preparing meals and boosting the batteries a bit late afternoons. We also have satellite so we'll be looking for satellite-friendly sites.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
28 REPLIES 28

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Read up on the Going-to-the-Sun Road. Most likely, you won't be able to drive it in your RV due to length restrictions. The highway runs at the bottom edge of the national park and it's a very pretty drive. When you're in the park take the free shuttle from the west side to get to the top of the Going-to-the-Sun Rd. You can get off and on at various stops for a hike or whatever.

We like Apgar campground on the west side.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Community Alumni
Not applicable
GNP in the US. I also made a comment we can't get our passports renewed on time to go into Canada during our trip to the park.

dedmiston
cruiserjs wrote:
GNP in Canada or US (BC or MT)?? Be specific please.

Seriously?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:

Since the post wasn't made in the RVing in Canada and Alaska forum, there was a suggestion that he was referring to the park in Montana, rather than the beautiful Glacier National Park in British Columbia.

Since his original post said the park has 13 campgrounds, it was a done deal. Glacier National Park in Canada has only 3 RV campgrounds.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
East Glacier to West Glacier via US2 is 55 miles = 1 hour. An excellent highway. Going to the Sun Road is still not plowed yet. We were just there.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks again for the helpful info. We are bummed out we won't be able to go into Canada since we'll be so close, but we can't get our passports renewed on time for this trip. We have been to Canada twice but it would have been nice to explore a new area.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Good to know, thanks. I exceed the maximum vehicle dimensions so I guess I'll have to go around the park using a different route.

I drove an RV (24-ft class C) from east to west on the Going to the Sun Road the last year it was allowed. It shouldn't have been.

If you are going to drive from St. Mary to West Glacier, the recommended route would be:
North on US 89 to Montana 464. In Browning, turn right on US 89/ US 2. Where US 89 and US 2 split, take US 2 West. That will take you on a scenic drive around the souther border of the park. The total distance is 103 miles.

As and aside, if you have the time, you should considered spending some time in Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta, Canada. It's less than 45 miles form St. Mary. (You would need a passport.) Canada has a different idea about National Parks. Waterton is a town inside of Waterton Lakes National Park, The campground is in the town. They have full hook-up sites, including 50-amp electrical service. We have very much enjoyed our visits there.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Good to know, thanks. I exceed the maximum vehicle dimensions so I guess I'll have to go around the park using a different route.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Thanks for the info. I assumed I would be able to traverse the park in a motorhome.

A class B should work, or maybe a small C? 21 ft total bumper to bumper, 10 ft height ... heading West you're on the inside lane, and there's some nasty rock out-croppings

More info here:
Going-to-the-Sun Road
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks for the info. I assumed I would be able to traverse the park in a motorhome.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Thanks again for all the info. I'm thinking of entering the park on the east side and exit the west side and then head down to the Sawtooth National Park area.

Unless your camping gear is tents, you won't be taking it through the park. You can go around easy enough on US-2. It's a pretty drive too.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks again for all the info. I'm thinking of entering the park on the east side and exit the west side and then head down to the Sawtooth National Park area.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
^^Good info. Thanks.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive