cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ouchy Mama

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Seems as though the 5 day trip in May I took to Killbear Provincial Park had some lasting effects....aside from the mental healthcare.

I was bit by a Tick.

It only manifested itself about 2 weeks later and I thought nothing of it as I crack my shins regularly at work and have regular bruises and scabs.

THIS however was getting worse....not better with time.

I am now on antibiotics and antibiotic cream and just had a blood test for Lyme Disease....results unknown at this posting.

Aside from wearing a full body net....whadyagunnado?
38 REPLIES 38

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to buy some A&D ointment. Around here, we call it "bear grease" but it is wonderful for skin that needs to heal. It works on wounds, burns, and abrasions, amazing stuff!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear it.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE!

Pretty much 3 months after the bite.

Doesn't bother me and I had forgotten about it until Nobette commented on how much better it looked.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Looking good.:) Glad you're feeling better!
Bill

greende
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
Things are certainly looking better. And the fact that the Dr. has not contacted me about the last blood test means that it was probably negative.

So....hopefully the last time this happens.

Funny thing, though....40 years of wilderness camping.....the canoe trip sort......and I've never had any Poison Ivy issues. Can you be immune to that?

Yes, you can be "immune" to poison ivy. The leaves of the plant have a resin that people can react to, especially in sunlight. I have never reacted in my life and others have built up a tolerance to the plant. Others can get worse reactions over time.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Things are certainly looking better. And the fact that the Dr. has not contacted me about the last blood test means that it was probably negative.

So....hopefully the last time this happens.

Funny thing, though....40 years of wilderness camping.....the canoe trip sort......and I've never had any Poison Ivy issues. Can you be immune to that?

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
First blood test for Lyme disease came back negative.

Great news!
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
First blood test for Lyme disease came back negative.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for thinking of me.

I have one day left of meds.....and had my second blood test yesterday.

The swelling, pain and redness is gone however I still have a big nasty scab sitting on a slightly raised bump.

I'm applying antibiotic cream to it twice a day.

Still a wait and see thing.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My mother got bit by a Brown Recluse Spider and the wound looked just like that. She had to go through many surgeries where the carved out the dead/infected area. I had to help her pack the wound and that was some of the grossest stuff that I have ever seen.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I have been diagnosed with Lyme's Disease 5 times here in Fl. but none looked like that. That looks like a friend had when he was bit by a brown recluse spider, or hobo spider he almost lost his ankle and had to have skin grafts to finally close it.
Dr. told me with the first 3 cases of lyme's disease that the blood test was not conclusive a good portion of the time, by the time I got the results back, I had finished the meds. Hope you get healed up soon. Good Luck
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey knobby how are you feeling? Inquiring minds want to know! Hope all is well! Time to get back camping:). Bill

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Well that looks unpleasant! I hope you get good test results back!

"Aside from wearing a full body net....whadyagunnado?"

Well you might have Nobette put a dose of Frontline just below your neck, between your shoulders. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

LOL!
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II