cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for Idaho

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a trip through Idaho, especially the west and panhandle are. Looking for suggestions on what to see and RV campgrounds, both full hookups and forest service. Will be there in July and August.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss
17 REPLIES 17

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
dkreuzen wrote:
If you are traveling on US26 east of Arco the ERB-1 facility is a very interesting stop. Even better when they are having guides tours.

ERB-1
I agree. Still can't get over the Atomic airplane engines outside the building.

Also, if you are willing to dry camp, Craters of the Moon is a great place for dark skies.

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Hells Canyon.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the state parks can be hard to get into, even on weekdays (Ponderosa comes to mind.) But they are worth it. Others have mentioned some of our favorites: Ponderosa and Farragut especially. We have also enjoyed Bruneau Dunes (local astronomy club puts on a presentation with telescopes on weekends), Three Island Crossing (lots of shade there too), Hells Gate, Massacre Rocks, and Henrys Lake (the last can be quite windy, but there's a 360-degree mountain view). A few of the state parks have full hookups, and most have both electric & water at many of their sites.

For FHU CGs we like Mountain Home RV Park and Village of Trees RV Park in Declo (between American Falls & Twin Falls, a good overnighter).

Some of the NFS CGs we have seen in Island Park (between Idaho Falls & Yellowstone) are really nice, and a few have some electric hookups.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
If you are traveling on US26 east of Arco the ERB-1 facility is a very interesting stop. Even better when they are having guides tours.

ERB-1
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
Priest Lake is I think the prettiest area on Earth. The state park there or any of the other campgrounds are great (Luby Bay is a good one). Coeur d'Alene area or Pend Oreille are also great areas, some are better than others but I can't think of a "bad" campground. You'll probably have to take what you can get not having made reservations already.

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
Look into Harmonica festival in Yellow Pine. We were their 5 or 6 years ago and had a blast. It was in July, sure you can find info by googling.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Wilderness Gateway Campground
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
If you like to get away from it all, take the Owyhee Uplands Backcountry Byway. My 2010 trip report for that road can be found on the TC forum: link
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Couer d'Alene is a nice little tourist friendly place. Blackwell Island Campground is a good full service place with things to do, a few miles from town. A little costly but worth the price.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you seen the Sawtooth National Recreation Area between Ketchum and Stanley? So much great camping and hiking -- world-class scenery. But that is central Idaho, not western.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
We love Hellsgate SP on the Snake R, at Lewiston, ID - SW end of the panhandle. Plenty of shade trees, bike trail from the park that hooks into the Lewiston-Clarkston bike trail along the river. Access into Hells Canyon via jet boat excursions. A starkly beautiful area.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

j3ff9ack
Explorer
Explorer
There's lots to see and do, but the major scenic areas and places to stay in the western side of the state and panhandle are these:

Scenic Drives:
ID 75 from Challis through Stanley to Ketchum and Hailey.
ID 55 from Boise/Eagle to McCall, then north on US 95 to Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint
US 95 from Fruitland to Cambridge, then ID 71 to Hells Canyon

Campgrounds and State Parks:
Ponderosa State Park in McCall
Any FS campground between Challis and Ketchum
Farragut State Park and Priest Lake State Park in the panhandle
2007 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 RKS
2014 RAM 3500 SRW CC CTD 68RFE

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Henry's Lake State Park was nice, but they charged me $5.00/day extra for my toad, even though I specified it in my reservation. Clean place, electric & water hookup, no cable. Dump site is there.

Convenient to West Yellowstone and West entrance to Yellowstone NP.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
While you are waiting do a Google search for `Idaho tourism' and read what the experts recommend.

Thanks, I've done that search and found a lot of good information but now I'm looking for any additional real world experience.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss