cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Vs Used

NuttyKev
Explorer
Explorer
I’m currently looking for my first toyhauler and I’m torn between getting new or used. I found a really nice Heartland Torque that’s just a year old, good price. But my concern is why are they selling it. Of course they have their reason, but I don’t know the people so I have no clue if they’re being truthful. All of the new models in my price range do not even compare in both size and features. What are the most important things to look for and/or check when buying a used toyhauler, even just at one year old? And Is it unheard of to have somebody, a mechanic, look it over before I purchase it? I usually do that when buying a used car.
13 REPLIES 13

cfdwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
To get what we (DW) want, we are limited to units 5 or 6 years old or newer. I've been shopping used THs for a while now, and the prices that people are asking for their 1-3 year old units are the same as, or even more then what I can buy the exact same model unit with the same options as, new. I'm fortunate to have two wholesale dealers within an hour of me.

Holman RV and Couch's RV Nation are my reference points here.
2018 GMC Denali Dually w/ tow package
B&W 25k Companion Puck
2019 GD Momentum 381M

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
NuttyKev wrote:
I’m currently looking for my first toyhauler and I’m torn between getting new or used. I found a really nice Heartland Torque that’s just a year old, good price. But my concern is why are they selling it. Of course they have their reason, but I don’t know the people so I have no clue if they’re being truthful. All of the new models in my price range do not even compare in both size and features. What are the most important things to look for and/or check when buying a used toyhauler, even just at one year old? And Is it unheard of to have somebody, a mechanic, look it over before I purchase it? I usually do that when buying a used car.

A ton of people buy a camper or TH and then find out they don't use it nearly enough to justify the cost, especially on a new model which more often than not are financed with a monthly payment. Their loss can be your gain. I've yet to buy a camper new and doubt I ever will - they depreciate crazy fast.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

TAS1
Explorer
Explorer
Always money to save buying used. The key is to find one someone kept under an RV port when not in use. I just bought new because I couldn't find the one I wanted used. I tried like hell tho. It drove my wife nuts. Have fun with it.
Todd
15 Ram Megacab 3500 4x4 SRW
18 Street Glide Special
13 Harley Fatboy Lo (gone)
94 Harley FLSTC
98 TJ w/ a few mods
18 Momentum 351M

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully it works out for you. We just bought used, went form ‘13 to ‘11. I just posted our story and pics of what we found on CL!
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

NuttyKev
Explorer
Explorer
Camp all the time. Mostly in tents, sometimes using the back queen beds in a buddy’s toyhauler. I definitely want my own. Towing it is not an issue. I have rented a travel trailer. And I have a CDL.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add my 2 cents maybe rent one first to see if you'll even like doing it.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

NuttyKev
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies everybody. I found an inspector who will go look at it for me. Guess I will go from there.

Y-Guy
Obvious plus to used is saving money. Downside is lack of any warranty, even the aftermarket ones usually have lot of clauses so be aware. A good inspection, not by the dealer, can find some obvious flaws as long as you're not blinded by having that new toy sitting in your garage. There are some Pre-Deivery Inspection forms out there that can help, or you can hire an outside person. Once you shop around you'll find the average price for the one you are looking for and that helps spot a good deal or somebody that is trying to off load one for other reasons.

Many, dare I say most, owners are upside down in their RV loan so many are not looking to deal.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of people think RVing sounds like a great idea, but when the reality sets in they discover it isn't what they really want to do.

If the trailer is solid with no major issues, go for it. We bought our previous two 5th wheels used and both were an excellent deal. You miss that first years huge depreciation that occurs as soon as you drive a new trailer off the lot.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
do some home work on the rv,,go visit a few times, take a jug of ice tea ,and muffins ,sit around talk about the rv,after people are together a bit they,ll brag about this an that, they,lltalk about the rv.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Condition is everything, and leaks are the prime killer of RV's at it leads to wood rot, new or used, you really should consider having it professionally inspected, and not rely on the selling dealer to perform the only initial inspection. If you need an inspector and don't know one there is a search tool on the nrvia.org web site. Full disclosure I took their inspector course a few months ago, and it was a real eye opener, not just on issues with older RV's but on ones that were new as well. We had 2 RV's at the course that were nearly new, one with a 2016 and the other a 2017 just picked up from the dealership a few weeks earlier with with significant issues, roof leaks, sealant gaps, etc.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Some people want the latest and greatest or the floor plan simply doesn’t work for them. Just do a thorough inspection.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You can save a ton of money buying used.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE