cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP models that work well for families

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market for a used diesel pusher and have been looking at Newmar Allstars and other bunk models such as the Discovery 40G (leaning away from), and Berkshire 390BH. I like the Tiffin 38QBA, but there aren't many used ones out there and I'm looking for a high output ISB/ Allison 3000 as my minimum powertrain.

Since bunkhouses are so few and far between, what other models are out there that work well for families? I'm thinking we'd need opposing couches and a dinette so we could have a few sleeping options. My kids are middle school and high school age, and we tend to bring a friend or two with us.

I've been looking blindly at RV Trader, but I think my search would be more efficient if I had some model numbers to search for. My budget is around $100k, which puts me in the 2006-2010 model year range.
2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow
9 REPLIES 9

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
dgreen1069 wrote:
I'm in the market for a used diesel pusher and have been looking at Newmar Allstars and other bunk models such as the Discovery 40G (leaning away from), and Berkshire 390BH. I like the Tiffin 38QBA, but there aren't many used ones out there and I'm looking for a high output ISB/ Allison 3000 as my minimum powertrain.

Since bunkhouses are so few and far between, what other models are out there that work well for families? I'm thinking we'd need opposing couches and a dinette so we could have a few sleeping options. My kids are middle school and high school age, and we tend to bring a friend or two with us.

I've been looking blindly at RV Trader, but I think my search would be more efficient if I had some model numbers to search for. My budget is around $100k, which puts me in the 2006-2010 model year range.

I have researched all and bought a 40G new in 2013. I looked for use but to no avail. I would take the 390BH over the Tiffen and the Newmar over all of them. The used ones get snatched up quick.

PM me with questions, if you would like.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
dgreen1069,

Congratulations on the new moho!!!

I hope you have many safe and happy miles together with your family, and your share of "frisky moments", too! 🙂

Safe travels,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
GreenSalsa wrote:

We altered our new 2014 American Revolution 42T. We removed the walk in closet, replaced it with bunks, tore out the 2nd bathroom (front) and used that space for a real hanging closet, and finally took out one of the sofas and replaced it with a real working desk (for homeschool and work).

Be advised it was just over 2.5 times your budget. That said, there are plenty of used 42Ts you might want to alter...

Thanks for the reply. I actually picked up a 2009 Discovery 40X one week ago today. It has a queen bed on a slide in the rear and two sleeper sofas and a large dinette up front. After all my searching, I found this one almost in my back yard. The seller was fantastic to deal with and we are super pleased. Can't wait to finish cleaning and stocking it so we can take it out on the road.

I will say, even after decades of towing large trailers, driving this thing is a bit intimidating. It's fine on the open road, but I need to get more comfortable with the seating position and mirrors.
2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow

GreenSalsa
Explorer
Explorer
dgreen1069 wrote:

We altered our new 2014 American Revolution 42T. We removed the walk in closet, replaced it with bunks, tore out the 2nd bathroom (front) and used that space for a real hanging closet, and finally took out one of the sofas and replaced it with a real working desk (for homeschool and work).

Be advised it was just over 2.5 times your budget. That said, there are plenty of used 42Ts you might want to alter...
GreenSalsa lives in North Carolina, but dreams of life on the road...

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of bunkhouse models now but fewer in that vintage. We are big fans of the bunkhouse version. It is because of how we travel and RV. We have been RVing since 2000 and our first unit didn’t have bunks. It was a major nuisance and the wife and I couldn’t sit and relax after we put the kids to bed since their beds were the sofas. So when we upgraded we insisted on a bunkhouse model. This proved to be a much better solution for us. We have had bunks on every RV since. The kids go to bed and we can relax. Our current unit is a Thor Palazzo 33.3 with an ISB 300 and Allison MH 2100. This means we are limited to 30,000# GCWR and 26,000# GVWR. But it works for us. Used units in the 2013 - 2015 range can be had for about $100,000 - $120,000. There are significant build quality issues with the earlier 2013 - 2014 units but in most cases they have been resolved under warranty by the time they are being sold used. I know what to check for the biggest thing is the 3Trax in wall slide vs. the earlier 2 Track system. In most cases the system can be upgraded to the 3Trax system with nominal costs. The rest of the stuff is just irritating warranty items. If you decide to go with a Palazzo let me know and I’d be happy to help. We looked at a Berkshire Legacy and it was more expensive than the Palazzo but could have worked as well.
FMCA member

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi,

Our rig is not a DP. We bought it new in 2004 and it still serves us well. Our two slide floor plan has two sofas up front. One fold-out sofa bed and the other a jackknife. Plus, the dinette converts to a bed. When the kids were younger, there were plenty of places for them to sleep. Now that they’re older, they still make it work, but we only have 3 which travel now.

Back in 2004, “bunk model” class A’s were pretty much non-existent. But to be honest, I’m not a big fan of the bunk floor plans because with the exception of only one I’ve seen, the bunks are but a paper-thin wall away from the “parent’s” bedroom. In our rig, the kids are up front, and we’ve got the back of the rig. The bathroom and LOTS of closet & storage space is in between us. With the roof A/C’s or heaters running, they really can’t hear anything from the bedroom. Especially when the kids were younger, there would be movies and things we’d watch with adult language or scenes we didn’t want the little ones to hear. Of course, there’s always the (hopefully) “frisky” moments, as “Mrs. Cunningham” from “Happy Days” used to call them. Anyway, there was that separation. By the way, this was an unthought of benefit when we bought the moho, but wifey apparently feels more relaxed when out camping so those “frisky” moments happen more than I would’ve thought.

But, I digress, the dual sofa layout is great match for us. Basically, we trade dedicated sleeping space for the kids for dedicated living space for everyone. Even when stuck in extended poor weather situations, we have enough room and seating space in the living room for us to watch movies, play games, etc. Plus, so much of the storage space we have would be used up by the bunks. No thanks.

Is there a setup/breakdown time required? Sure. When the kids were young, wifey and I got to the point we could convert from living to sleeping mode in about 5 minutes. Storing the linens & pillows needed for each sleeping area in the corresponding overhead bin. As they got older and the kids started doing it themselves, it became even less of an issue.

Family dynamics are different, but our kids grew up in a modest home, the boys shared a room and the girls shared another, so they were used to sharing their space. For us, it worked great.

Dual sofa layouts used to be quite popular on DPs back when we bought our rig, but they were very rare on gassers. Now they’re rare on all as reclininers/desks/fireplaces/etc. often replace one of the spaces taken up by a sofa. However, you might be able to have one custom built for you, or if you search long enough, I’m sure you can find one. It’ll be easier finding a DP than a gasser.

Good Luck in your search,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Bruce_Brown
We just returned from another family trip. Our kids are getting older but thankfully still make time to join us.

We have a 2008 Kountry Star DP. One couch is a pull-out bed, the other a jackknife bed. That works well for them. Back when more friends would come along we'd also use an air mattress on the floor as needed. We ordered table and chairs so any dinette sleeping wouldn't be an option. They're only good for smaller kids anyway.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/holiday_rambler/2002--navigator--45DCDS--C1970A

with in your price range.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I can't answer your question. Did you check pplmotorhomes.com?
They show the floor plans in their ads. Maybe it will give you an idea of what's available.