cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1999 Mountain Aire steps

RoaminBuffalo
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 1999 Mountain Aire. When the guy was showing it to me he couldn’t get the steps to work. In the course of getting it up my drive I had to get out to check clearance and they worked fine. I got it parked and now they don’t work again. I wouldn’t think it is the motor but nothin I turn on or off seems to make it work. Any ideas?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Many/most step issues are related to low battery and/or poor ground. Have you coach batteries tested - it's free and clean the grounds to the step and batteries. When you start your rig it places the coach/chassis batteries on-line .. that sometimes gets the steps to work when they don't when just sitting.
Kevin

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another link you may enjoy. It is for the owners manual for the Gasoline powered RV. The diesel rigs are different and have different steps assemblies.
Link
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
David, Here is a link to the Manual for your steps.

LINK

You will get a lot of help here on the forum about steps but unless you really want to search here and there it is best to follow the trouble shooting guide in the manual. It is systematic and concise, plus when you are through reading the normal operation and electrical schematic, you will know as much as most of us know.

Something very few folks know is that there were TWO versions of the Kwikee steps made in 1999. You most likely have the most recent version, the one with the window lift motor. If you are unfortunate and have the system used only in step made before February of 1999, you will need a couple hundred dollars in parts. If it has a window step motor, it will be less than $60 for a motor. Here is a motor brand(ACI) and The Autozone model number(83094), they are also available on Amazon.

The one thing that you will hear most often is to make sure your ground connection is very good. Bad grounds are hard to find sometimes so it is easiest to just clean the battery grounds and the step controller grounds.

It is very simple to trouble shoot the steps and if needed it is very easy to change the motor. Pm me and I'll pass on how I would do it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does not sound like the step motor. Sounds more like a power issue.
If it operates with engine running or ignition is "run" position, power is not getting to the step. There should be an over ride switch near entrance. It could be in wrong position.
Next check to insure the coach battery disconnect is turned on.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker