cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on floor plan

rhetthughes
Explorer
Explorer
Hello kind folks! I thought I’d seek the wisdom of anyone who might have some food for thought on this topic. Basic question: any thoughts from people who have owned a rear den, midbunk, and / or front living room floorplan 5th wheel? The details of the question: My wife and I are in the beginning phase of looking for a 5th wheel. Currently have a travel trailer - Palomino Solaire 317BHSK. We have 2 kids. We initially settled on a bunkhouse model because we wanted the kids to have their own space. The more we camp, the more we wished we had a nice size living room to enjoy campsites a view from the inside as much as we can enjoy them from the outside, as well as be able to gather as a family to watch a movie on a crappy day, etc etc. I like each of these floorplans for different reasons, so thought I’d seek the experience of members of this forum to see what words of wisdom y’all can impart. Has anyone owned 2 or all of the above floor plans at one point or another in their camping? Any thoughts about these floor plans with having kids? I recognize that the midbunk gives the kids their own space and the living room, but it is also more than 40 feet long. Montana has a front living room model that is just under 40 feet. Seems that once you get above 40 feet it can really limit the available campsites, especially in state parks here in South Carolina. I don’t know. Seems like every pro has a con as a wrestle back and forth in my head. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
We had a rear bunk house that had 2 slides and was a huge space, big Horn Silverado. But you nailed it, no real living room space. We now have a grand design reflection with a smaller 4 bed bunk house but opposing slides in living area and it is a nice large space, great configuration. It's 37 feet long and has an outdoor kitchen which I love.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Our Sandpiper is a front bunk with rear master bedroom. There is a large slide out in the middle which makes a nice sized living room. I like this layout because it gives us and the boys completely separate sleeping areas. The front gives them their own cave where they can hang out and flop.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a rear bunkhouse now and honestly I like the floorplan,however if I were buying today I imagine I would have a mid bunk model which would allow for a rear lounge area.
My current rig is 39'.In order to have the interior space to give us all some room I think I would still be in the 40'range.
Front living rooms are really not the solution because the kids will commandeer the living room as their space leaving the adults with no lounge area. A mid bunk or even a rear bunkhouse gives the kids a dedicated space to call their own. Which in turns leaves the living room for the adults to call their own when necessary. My kids are older and my bunkhouse days are winding down. A rear lounge floorplan is in my future once the kids are gone.
But if there are kids in the picture I prefer a bunkhouse rear or mid.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rhetthughes
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
We looked at the Palomino Columbus 377MB as we liked the separate room for the kids, as well as having a full size living area. The bunk area at the top of the stairs is good for smaller kids, though it would be an ideal storage area, too. The 30”x60” walk in shower is awesome. It’s 42’ long. Will be hard to find a short fiver with your requirements.

That Columbus 377 is the one that got me interested in the midbunk floorplans. I would prefer the 378 only because they switch the recliners and entertainment center from one side to the other so you get an outdoor kitchen (and the outdoor kitchen is another thing...not sure I want to give that up). I found the Montana to be nice too, but my gut tells me that Montana is more likely to give me trouble than Columbus based on what I've read from owners on a couple of facebook groups I belong to (one for Columbus owners and one for Montana owners).

rhetthughes
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
We have had:
1. 35' travel trailer bunkhouse.
2. 38' front bunkhouse fifth wheel
3. 42'11" Sandpiper 372LOK (midbunk fifth wheel with a loft)

We have 3 kids, a grown son and 2 daughters, aged 14 and 11. Son does his own thing, so he is no longer a consideration. We are both now retired and we camp host at least 2 months (May and August) and we travel at least 3-4 weeks during June and July.

The TT was great for weekend trips, but the bunk room was too small when we started camp hosting, so we traded up to the front bunkhouse so the kids would have some place to sit other than laying on their bed in their room.

We really missed being able to all 4 sit and watch a movie when it was raining or sit around and talk.

The mid-bunk allows the kids to have their own "room" and the older one sleeps there and the younger sleeps in the loft area. This accommodates differing sleep patterns (younger one is a morning person, teen is NOT)! We have had this RV for a year - purchased in June of last year and we wouldn't trade it for anything.

We have camped in several SC parks and always put in 40 feet, because most of them won't let you enter anything bigger. It has NEVER been a problem....YET!

Yes, it's big, but we both drive it - we both park it - we both back it up, etc.

This is the direction I've been leaning (midbunk model), but the 42 feet just seemed a bit over the top. Was hoping to stay at 40 or under, so I appreciate the words about parking it and about taking it to SC state parks.

rhetthughes
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
When we first started camping we looked at bunkhouses and like you wanted more living room space. We looked at the front living rooms and the kids actually liked it better. They had bigger beds when couches were folded out and a big tv to watch.

The things we didn't like were the lack of basement storage, lack of a view and the couches were 90° to the tv, had to lay on the couch to watch tv comfortably.

We traded out to a rear living room model when the oldest quit traveling with us. We are now back to looking at front living room models as my mother may start traveling with us. I like the rear dens as they have good storage and good views but the wife not so much.

My advice, make your kids part of the decision, they will be sleeping in the living room. Also, these are heavy units pushing 16000 lbs loaded up ready to roll so make sure you have the proper tow vehicle

Good luck with your search.

Thank you for these words of wisdom! Good thought about the kids! Of course, the way my kids operate, if the rig has power recliners, they are good with it, so they aren't much help! haha!

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
When we first started camping we looked at bunkhouses and like you wanted more living room space. We looked at the front living rooms and the kids actually liked it better. They had bigger beds when couches were folded out and a big tv to watch.

The things we didn't like were the lack of basement storage, lack of a view and the couches were 90° to the tv, had to lay on the couch to watch tv comfortably.

We traded out to a rear living room model when the oldest quit traveling with us. We are now back to looking at front living room models as my mother may start traveling with us. I like the rear dens as they have good storage and good views but the wife not so much.

My advice, make your kids part of the decision, they will be sleeping in the living room. Also, these are heavy units pushing 16000 lbs loaded up ready to roll so make sure you have the proper tow vehicle

Good luck with your search.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have had:
1. 35' travel trailer bunkhouse.
2. 38' front bunkhouse fifth wheel
3. 42'11" Sandpiper 372LOK (midbunk fifth wheel with a loft)

We have 3 kids, a grown son and 2 daughters, aged 14 and 11. Son does his own thing, so he is no longer a consideration. We are both now retired and we camp host at least 2 months (May and August) and we travel at least 3-4 weeks during June and July.

The TT was great for weekend trips, but the bunk room was too small when we started camp hosting, so we traded up to the front bunkhouse so the kids would have some place to sit other than laying on their bed in their room.

We really missed being able to all 4 sit and watch a movie when it was raining or sit around and talk.

The mid-bunk allows the kids to have their own "room" and the older one sleeps there and the younger sleeps in the loft area. This accommodates differing sleep patterns (younger one is a morning person, teen is NOT)! We have had this RV for a year - purchased in June of last year and we wouldn't trade it for anything.

We have camped in several SC parks and always put in 40 feet, because most of them won't let you enter anything bigger. It has NEVER been a problem....YET!

Yes, it's big, but we both drive it - we both park it - we both back it up, etc.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Decide where you will camp. Private RV parks mostly no issues at 40-45 feet. Some public campgrounds will be “you’re too long.” Take a look at this chart http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/National-Park-Trailer-Length-Chart.pdf
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at the Palomino Columbus 377MB as we liked the separate room for the kids, as well as having a full size living area. The bunk area at the top of the stairs is good for smaller kids, though it would be an ideal storage area, too. The 30”x60” walk in shower is awesome. It’s 42’ long. Will be hard to find a short fiver with your requirements.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo