cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass to Virginia Beach or Outer Banks

jay_bizz77
Explorer
Explorer
I know (Common Sense) I should just take 84 through Connecticut over the Tappan Zee to 287, 78, 81 to Winchester, VA etc, etc...

However, I am looking at pro's/cons of going around NYC but then back on 95 through Baltimore/DC...

Also, stay away from Chesapeake Bay Bridge? I've heard horror stories.

Looking for experience and advice.

33' Class C

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
jay bizz77 wrote:
Whats the Gov. Nice like?

Think of the Sagamore Bridge with only 2 lanes and a 3 mile approach road.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to go the 84 route, skip the Tappan Zee and the NJ parkway by staying on 84 until it connects to 81. I've done the 95 route (never again), the Tappan Zee route (some tight lanes through NH and lower bridges where you have to get in the middle lanes if you have a taller trailer, mine 13.6) and the 84-81 route twice. 84-81 is less tolls and less stress.

jay_bizz77
Explorer
Explorer
This is all great info! I really appreciate it!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If you can drive in Boston traffic the CBBT will be a piece of cake
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
No problem on either the CBB or the CBBT. I wasn’t looking forward to my first time thru the CBBT but it was a piece of cake. I’ve been thru it many times. They do require you to turn off your propane and will ask you to confirm that it is off. As with most toll plazas, be sure to get in the right hand lane (the lane for tractor trailers if it’s not on the right)..... they are wider. CBBT pulled me out of a different lane once to tell me.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

mkisamore
Explorer
Explorer
Gov, Nice bridge is a narrow 2 lane bridge on 301 crossing from Maryland to Virginia I have crossed it many times with my 5th wheel toy hauler not the nicest ride but no problems crossing there's enough room for 18 wheelers to pass in the opposite direction may want to have your spouse close their eyes while you go over(haha)

jay_bizz77
Explorer
Explorer
Whats the Gov. Nice like?

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility is US50/US301. From the Tappae Zee you can head down I-287 and pick up I-95 in central Jersey, across the Delaware Mem. Bridge and join US301 via US13 and US40. The worse part of this way is the Gov. Nice bridge where US301 crosses the Potomac.

Stay on US301 until it crosses I-295 in Richmond and take that to I-64 through Norfolk. If you're continuing onto OBX, take 168/158 down the Currituck Peninsula, then cross over to Kitty Hawk and take 12 down the barrier beaches.

Places to stop... South Philly KOA in Clarksboro NJ right off I-295 (formerly Timberlane). They are set up for one night transients.

We liked the KOA in Fredricksbirg VA as well.

Several campgrounds around Williamsburg.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Tunnel widths in both directions are 24' for two lanes.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
The CBBT is easy. Better than going through the Baltimore/Washington Beltway.

jay_bizz77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! We've been that way before , but never crossed the CBB...I just worry with people saying it's narrow for a rv etc.

Thanks for the advice!

Jay

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Taking the Bay Bridge Tunnel in one direction is worth the effort. 26 mile water crossing can be beautiful at the right time of day, Beaches on the Eastern Shore are beautiful as well, and not nearly as crowded as other areas. Chincoteague /Assateague island for both the National Wildlife Refuge (with their wild horses) and Wallops Islands NASA facilities are interesting, and it's basically on the way. Assateague State Park in Md, is popular and just off the beach, mosquitoes can be bad if no wind.
I grew up in Va Beach, The Virginia Marine Science Center, is interesting, for a campground First Landing State Park is nice, the KOA is at the south end of the tourist areas near the Marine science center, its not on the beach.

Most locals tended to go to either Sandbridge which is 10 miles south of the tourist areas, or down to the Outer Banks.
Personally I love the NC beaches, cleaner, less crowded, and you have the Wright Memorial, learn to hang glide at kitty hawk kites, the Lost Colony Show in Manteo, and several light houses to visit.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I like the drive down the Delmar peninsula and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.