cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AR ONE leak behind toilet question

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I just purchased my first TT two days ago. It's an AR ONE 14rb 2013. Today I wanted to open up the windows to air it out due to the hot weather and noticed water on the floor coming from the toilet. Upon further investigation I noticed it was dripping from the supply connection at the elbow behind the toilet. My water tanks are empty so I am guessing its residual water in the line. My question is what would be the best/correct way to fix it? The white plastic hoses are connected to the plastic elbow with a crimp type metal band. Would hose clamps work in place of these crimped bands or do I need to find these special bands? Thank you in advance for your kind replies.
16 REPLIES 16

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response pld33270! After tightening the connection I figured it was fixed. Two days ago I filled the holding tank with water and turned on the pump and it was leaking like crazy from the black piece right above the connection. Needless to say I'm waiting for a new water module to arrive today from Amazon. The previous owner winterized the TT but didn't realize water stayed in the supply line all the way up to the tank and it cracked over the winter. Here's a pic of where the crack is located.

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer new leaked from the "hand tighten" connection (one with typically 3 wing grip) at the toilet the first trip out. I hand tightened it, problem solved. A couple of trips later, much less water leaking behind the toilet. I finally figured out the vacuum breaker was leaking. ~$20 from Amazon and 20ish minutes of work and the vacuum breaker was replaced. No more toilet leaks. It has been used connected to city water and the onboard fresh water system. No more issues.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you SoundGuy! Here is the link to my picture.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
oldmanriver809 wrote:
As far as posting pictures goes I tried reading the how to section but it's all foreign to me. I'm using my cell phone to post here but can't figure out the deal with the public website thing or the copy and paste thing.

Upload your pic here, copy the url created, and paste it into your post.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer
So I put on my cheaters to try to get a better look, it's such a tight space to see behind, and realized that the leak was at the connection where the plastic pipe screws onto the back of the toilet. I unscrewed it and inspected the gasket. The gasket seemed fine so I screwed it back on tight and so far I haven't had any more dripping. I don't understand why water would be in the line all the way up to the toilet since my tanks are empty? I even tried to cycle the toilet flusher to release this water. Does this line have a one way valve or something similar that prevents the water from flowing backwards into the holding tank or is it the design of the water pump to hold the water after its pumped through it? As far as posting pictures goes I tried reading the how to section but it's all foreign to me. I'm using my cell phone to post here but can't figure out the deal with the public website thing or the copy and paste thing. I don't see any icon that would indicate posting a picture. Thank you all for your replies.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leak could be the swivel fitting, the cinch clamp connection (or maybe a crimp ring), vacuum breaker or water valve. A photo would likely help here.

Water is the no. 1 killer of RVs so gotta fix it pdq. You could always pull the toilet out and connect it to a hose outside. Need the right hose adapter fittings to do it. I did it once when replacing the water valve to ensure there was no leakage whatsoever.

Does it look like a recent leak or happening for a while? Does it look original or maybe modified by the PO? The water valves can sometimes leak only when water pressure gets low - around 10 psi and less.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Also check that the fitting (swivel adapter) that attaches to the toilet is tight. They can loosen. They are designed to be finger tight, no tools.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestion! The white plastic pipe isn't wet near the toilet but is definitely dripping at the elbow where the pipes connect to the elbow. What I don't understand is why it would just start dripping since it hasn't been used recently? Could it be because it was a really hot day? The only valve that I can see is the actuall toilet flushing handle/valve as the pipe runs under the tub and out of sight.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
Be sure it's not a valve from failure to winterize the toilet. That happened to us on our TT. last winter.

X2 on that. That is a common fail point from freeze damage. Replacement valve is about $30 on amazon, and a five minute job to replace.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure it's not a valve from failure to winterize the toilet. That happened to us on our TT. last winter.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

path1
Explorer
Explorer
oldmanriver809 wrote:
Thank you for your responses! I will do exactly that. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am brand new to owning a TT.

Ya...water leaks is your enemy. Fix that leak then test entire rv. Many people don't use water except in "self contain" mode.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry. This line is not braided. It's just a white plastic line. I'm not tech savvy and this is the only forum I've ever posted on so i will try to learn how to properly use the available tools. Thanks again for your replies.

oldmanriver809
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your responses! I will do exactly that. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am brand new to owning a TT.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
oldmanriver809 wrote:
My question is what would be the best/correct way to fix it? The white plastic hoses are connected to the plastic elbow with a crimp type metal band. Would hose clamps work in place of these crimped bands or do I need to find these special bands?

Since you haven't identified whether this water line is braided hose or hard wall PEX it would help if you'd post a pic instead. As noted, if it's PEX using a hose clamp on it won't work.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380