cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer behind tt

jjohnson1179
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone on here pulling trailer behind there tt. Looking for opinions about pulling my golf cart behind my jayco tt.
JIMMY JOHNSON
93 Ford F-250 V8 5.8
Sold my tc and got a TT
1987 LANCE 980 11.3

TRUCK CAMPER MAGAZINE

FEET IN THE SAND COLD BEER IN MY HAND
10 REPLIES 10

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it with my TH TT with a hitch that bolted to the frame. I had over 1200# of tongue weight on the TH and only pulled a jet ski trailer. I checked every state I planed to go through for legality.

Most trailer's the frame is barely adequate for the trailer. The tongue weight is usually to lite to add additional weight to the back. You would have to have a hitch installed to the frame along with wiring. The length could not exceed the state limit.

Another issue no one has addressed is where the wheels on your TT are. Most are towards the center. This has a cantilever effect on the back of the trailer exaggerating the up-and-down motion. ( On a TH the wheels are towards the back of the trailer. )

The best place for a golf cart would be in the truck bed if you have enough weight capacity.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer behind trailer is legal in Indiana, but I've seen it only a couple times in my life. When I did see them, it really caught my attention because it looked so odd. They were jet ski trailers behind the travel trailer.

In Indiana, if you use a swivel wheel on your trailer, the swivel wheel will need to be licensed and tagged as a trailer, with lights, and brake lights too. In Indiana, if it has a wheel, and the wheel touches the ground, it's a trailer.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
As others said, many states require it to be a 5th wheel...other states don't allow double towing at all.

A big concern is what is your current tongue weight?
- With a 5th wheel, you start around 20-25% on the pin and the wheels are further toward the back, so the weight on the back of the 5th wheel takes little weight off the pin and the already large percentage is easier to maintain.
- With a TT, you start around 10-12% on the ball and the wheels are closer to the front. If you are marginal, it's really easy for the hitch weight of the 2nd trailer to take enough weight off the 1st trailer hitch to make it squirrely.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get a swivel wheel or Idaho tote

https://springfield.craigslist.org/rvs/d/swivel-wheel-platform/6589369121.html
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
You are legal in your home state of Md. but no where else on the east coast. Not saying people are not doing it. I drove double trailers for UPS up and down 95 and have seen it being done and have never seen any pulled over, and as said earlier most places it is legal require the first unit be a 5th wheel or goose neck.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deleted
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
I would check local laws,I don't remember ever seeing it on the east coast out west see it quite often with 5th wheels.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Seen lots of folks towing boats, Jeeps, trailers, etc. behind their 5th wheels. In AZ the front trailer must be a 5th wheel. Overall length for everything can't be over 65 feet in length. I don't the rules where you live.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Better off to put the golf cart in the back of the truck if you have the payload to do it.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
Not legal in most states unless TT is a fifth wheel. Check state law where you want to pull first.
al