Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Battery Question, Again
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery Question, Again

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Katdaddy

Petal, MS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/18 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mchero wrote:

Katdaddy
Do yourself a favor and purchase a glass hydrometer and conver(charger). I got 12 years out of my 4 golf cart batteries! First thing i did was purchase a 60 amp Progressive Dynamics with charge wizzard.
Make sure you have proper cable and connections. Check water level monthly and NEVER let them drop below 12 volts.

I have a hydrometer and I have ordered the unit suggested by BFL13. The camper is plugged in all year and water levels checked regularly. I hope to get more mileage out of this set of batteries. Thanks.

Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/18 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Katdaddy wrote:

I need to mention that I have new batteries now. I wanted to start fresh and right, with the proper equipment.

IMO the thing to do now is check the SGs in all three cells of each batt you got to 6.47v and then the SGs of the one that got to 6.37.

That would be interesting, and you could see where you are at before the LK arrives. Also will be needed for advice on what to do when it does arrive.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi BFL13 what is an LK?

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/18 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi BFL13 what is an LK?

Katdaddy wrote:

This charger is supposed to be a smart charger and has a repair cycle. I have run the batteries through the repair cycle twice, with no apparent luck. The hydrometer is a glass model with the float.

Understand your frustration. You are trying to do it right but don't have the right equipment.

This will do it for you. It does the regular three stage converter profile, similar to your Boondocker, BUT it also has a single stage, adjustable voltage mode, which is what you desperately need right now.

You can set it to 14.8 eg, and it will stay there till you change it (with a little screwdriver)
Once the batts are as full as they can get, you can set 16v and run that for a while to see if their SG will recover. You can Float them afterwards at 13.6.

You need a 2000w generator to run it at 60 amps. If you only have a 1000w gen, you can get a 35 amp version of the LK DO NOT GET anything but an LK--you already have the older type which does not have the adjustable voltage feature these newer LKs have.

https://www.amazon.com/Powermax-PM3-60LK........8592&sr=8-23&keywords=powermax+converter

You can get a better idea of battery charging by reading this. It helped me a lot.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Books_c_67.html

Here is how to operate the LK see para 10

http://powermaxconverters.com/wp-content........loads/2018/05/PM3-12V-LK-Manual-2018.pdf

Katdaddy

Petal, MS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alright guys, I'm back with an update. As I mentioned earlier I am now starting with 4 new batteries. I ordered the Powermax unit recommended by BLF13. Due to some commitments and a camping trip for the fourth of July I just now have had the opportunity to disconnect the batteries and take readings. After 24 hours with no charge and no load the voltage reads 12.62 and the SG on all cells reads 12.60. If I understand my hydrometer correctly I am to add .0004 to that for temp adjustment. So now, how to properly proceed?

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

USUALLY 12 cells with a uniform 1.260 gravity are not badly sulfated

I would perform a current limited TOP CHARGE on these batteries.
With current limiting here is some help.

Stage one. Four hours at 14.4 volts after which are all 12 cells bubbling slightly? Good. Disconnect. Let set for 2 hours then recheck gravity.

Some cells not bubbling?

Increase voltage to 14.8 and repeat top charge but only for 2 hours
Are the reluctant cells now bubbling? Same drill. rest 2 hours than recheck gravity.

You have a weak sister cell? One that resisted 14.8 volts? It will need to be amperage limited to 11-amps at an 8-volt top limit. Full equalization then you need to keep an eye on it. Starting at 1.260 gravity this would be quite unusual.

There WILL BE one or two cells that will be slightly more reluctant to recover to 1.275. You can find these by checking all cells right after shutting off the charger. Mark them, these are your go-to cells when you believe a hydrometer test is in order down the road. No sense in stabbing 12 cells when there are just one or two delinquents. Put the batteries with the weak sister cells in the most accessible location for dipping.

Remember the chemistry change continues after the charging current is removed. I've found two hours to be a rational wait.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your batteries aren't too bad, but need to be fully charged.

When you get the LK use that to bring them up to 16v and let them stay there while you spot check the SG for when it stops rising. Could take a few hours and you have to be there so plan your time.

*Read up on how to do an equalize first!!!* You will get acid spitting and holes in your clothes so wear old clothes that don't matter. Glasses or goggles for the eyes. etc.

Katdaddy

Petal, MS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More good information. Thanks so much.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Katdaddy wrote:

If I may take a moment for a mini rant. I got 8 years out of my first set of batteries, with the stock single stage charger that came with the camper. The only thing I did was watch the fluid levels and add water about once a month. When it came time for new batteries everything I read said that I needed a multi stage charger. I was just lucky to get that many years. So I bought a new set of batteries and a multi stage charger and I am now on the second set of batteries in 4 years?????????

What does that tell you ?
No, the 8 yrs was not by accident. It was most likely from good maintence and non abuse.

My batteries, 6'ers and 12s always last 8+ years, and they have never seen over 14.4 volts, from just a plain ole PD9245. I NEVER use a nasty hydrometer, nor any other special equip. When the batteries don't perform to 75% of new, I replace them, which like said, has never been less than 8 yrs

I also know people w/ SS 13.6 chargers and batteries lasting at least 5 yrs.

14 billion RVs out there w/ 14.4 chargers in them, but according to this forum, that are all wrong. But yet, most all batteries last 5-8 years, just like they do on this forum.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/18 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup and there are people who drink, smoke, force feed cholesterol, live in cities in a tiny apartment with the only window fifteen feet from a busy taxi waiting stand with eleven idling motors. They live to be 111. Let's all use that as a reference for common sense as to How To Maximize Your Lifespan.

Some folks have lifestyles that tax house batteries about as severely as those found in emergency hallway lighting that haven't seen duty in fifteen years. Let's use THAT as a general purpose guideline for regular deep cycle battery maintenance.

Had a friend. He sent thousands of dollars on a lap pool. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars on morning potions, elixirs, powders and exotic herbs. I asked him if any of them helped to increase blood flow in arteries and veins. He exploded in a vitamin and mineral holistic chant that left his face scarlet, eyes bulging, and veins bulging...

Poor Pete. At present, he is bedridden with a stroke and he cannot even remember his pin numbers to access his bank account...

Let's all abandon common sense and begin with the chant "Ommmmmmmmmmmm. Hare....."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery Question, Again
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS