Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended Warranty- is it worth it?

Labmom
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning,
I just purchased a new Winnie Drop and need to decide if I should get an extended warranty. Has anyone ever purchased one and if so was it worth it? I was told on another forum that usually these warranties donโ€™t cover things that go.
TIA!

Labmom
23 REPLIES 23

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Jumping back in...with Extended warranty kicking in, I just replaced my front screen door and it was expensive. Cost me $100.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used TT. No extended warranty but an expensive insurance policy. Two and a half years later a road hazard took out the running gear.

$3500.00 dollars of insurance money and my $200.00 deductible and I was on road in five weeks.

Since most TTs have some sort of warrantee from the manufacturer, I find it likely that a major issue will occurred sooner than later. An accident however can happen at anytime.

There are few sure bets in life.

Good luck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

soneill5
Explorer
Explorer
What I've found with my last three trailers is they never really build'em like they used to. With our first trailer, we replaced both bunk ends (it was a hybrid) and a water heater in the 3rd year - total cost $2000 (lots of labor cost). In this case a warranty would have saved me money. The 2nd trailer had only decals pealing after 3 years and a water heater controller in 5 years. Had we bought a warranty, we'd have lost money. Our current has to have a thermostat, new water heater, and faulty wiring for one slide replaced during the first year. You bet you bottom, I'm buying a warranty. Each unit is different - you need to assess this with how savvy you are to make your own repairs. For me, I don't have the time or knowledge to make major repairs and know first hand that $100-$200/hr labor rates are the killer for any dealer service call.
'23 Keystone Cougar 355FSB
'18 RAM 3500 Hemi
Andersen Ultimate Hitch!
Me & Wifey '67
Erin '98, Morgan '99
Pooch Abby '13

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
jbjuices wrote:
YES, absolutely worth it. You'll get your money back for sure.
Ha.

Service contract ("extended warranty") companies are in business to make money. They only make money if they pay out less than they take in. If they don't, they go out of business, and then that "lifetime warranty", isn't.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
As said in earlier posts, it is a gamble.
The easiest way to determine if YOU think its worth it is to ask one question: Am I okay with not having coverage and paying for whatever myself?
If you are a risk adverse person, you buy it
If you like to take chances, you don't.
It is an insurance policy. Sometimes poorly written and maybe over priced but insurance nevertheless.
What level of risk are you willing to assume?
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
That is just not true. The TT is movin' and shakin' and things go bad that you can't replace for the $$ the extended plan cost. I've had it on my last two campers and replaced an awning, gear box(es), electrical systems, propane issues, TVs, more TVs, radio's...I can go on and on. Cost me the $100 deductible, but would combine issues to save money. My new trailer has 4 TVs, a satellite, resi fridge and many other expensive items that WILL most likely go bad in 7 years time. If I didn't pay for an extended warranty, then I would have paid triple out of pocket.

To each your own, but come on...piece of mind for 7 years is worth a little up front cash. Also, you say read the fine print, never have I had an issue with getting something fixed.
Me ('72), DW ('76),

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
jbjuices wrote:

Look at a complete Extended Warranty policy. Read and make a list of the "exemptions" that will NOT be covered by the policy. Then decide if is "ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT". If you take the cost $$$ for the Extended Warranty and go to Las Vegas and put the money on RED or BLACK, you will get better odds of winning from your investment:):)

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Camping World Extended Warranty when we bought our 5th wheel 4 years ago. Have found it to be pretty much worthless. Had 2 major issues that they denied. Even the Service Manager rolled his eyes when they denied our second claim, $4k.....

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Yep
Me ('72), DW ('76),

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Me ('72), DW ('76),

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
TT extended warranty?

ext warranty- general 2011

Put the money you would pay into your bank account and you will have 100% coverage on every thing on your RV??

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
quote wrote:
take the cost of a warranty and bank it

You might not believe how fast it adds up because you hardly ever use it.
Been doing that since 1988 when a salesman offered me an EW. Been doing it ever since each time I'm offered one.
After a very short amount of time, it allowed me to be self insured no matter what I buy or have to repair.
I just take the money out of that EW account that belongs to all those generous sales people and make the repair. Today, I could buy a class A for cash with that money. ๐Ÿ™‚

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
For me no there not worth it.