cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A&E Awning advice requested...

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
My 20' A&E 858EV20 8500 is coming apart at the upper seam and wondered what you folks think of just replacing it for a Carefree by Colorado?

Here's one of the seam tears repaired with Awning repair tape...it's lasted several months now.

Than recently, the other end of the seam opened up too which I've repaired with the tape. Than there are all those gaps in the seam which are relatively new. It's coming apart at the seams...

I've had both brands, and I'm leaning towards replacing the A&E rather than repairing it. Mine needs a new fabric and the rear rail got slightly bent a couple years ago and though it was straightened out it's been a bear to slide open and closed ever since. Getting the rear arm to collapse like it's designed now requires a hammer.

What I wonder is, are the two brands sufficiently alike that I could use the same mountings and reuse the aluminum weather shield cover I have now? Digging out the data from the two brands has been difficult, not sure I know much more than I did before searching.

Hoping someone has done this and can give some advice.

How much of a job is it to replace one brand with the other? A&E 8500 with a Fiesta by Colorado?

Thanks.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.
7 REPLIES 7

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have canvas awnings, but the thread will sun rot over time. We took both the 19' and the 14' awnings down and purchased a sewing machine at a thrift shop , ordered uv protection outdoor thread and resewed all the seams and even the scalloped trim edge and reinstalled the awnings. The canvas was still in excellent condition, just the stitching gave out. Total cost of project - about $50 for sewing machine and thread.

An excellent DIY project. Kind of thing I'd try ๐Ÿ™‚
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have canvas awnings, but the thread will sun rot over time. We took both the 19' and the 14' awnings down and purchased a sewing machine at a thrift shop , ordered uv protection outdoor thread and resewed all the seams and even the scalloped trim edge and reinstalled the awnings. The canvas was still in excellent condition, just the stitching gave out. Total cost of project - about $50 for sewing machine and thread.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Why not just replace the fabric? Many of us have done or had that done. Replacement fabric is available from several sources. The arm parts are also readily available.

Because I hate the design. Having to use the hook in windy conditions is a bear. I even got my foot caught in the loop at the bottom of the pull strap once while I frantically tried to get it retracted after the wind came up suddenly and was almost hung by my foot from the darn thing as it wound up. The Colorado design is much simpler and easier to use in all situations, IMO.

But it seems that they aren't compatible and might end up being too costly to swap out the A&E as someone has said.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just replace the fabric? Many of us have done or had that done. Replacement fabric is available from several sources. The arm parts are also readily available.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I'd replace it with the same make and model, it isn't all that difficult.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Mounting holes are different, everything is different.
-- Chris Bryant

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a similar issue. While in the Rio Grande valley one winter, we had some mexican guys installing a screen room on one of the park models so I stopped to talk to them. They removed the awning and restitched it using thread that looked like fishing string. It was pretty cheap, including a tip, and has held up well. I think the main problem with these awnings is the mfg 'cheaps' out on us by using cheap thread. That way, it looks good but needs to be 'replaced' in a few years. Keeps the mfg in business. Who wants something that lasts forever? right?...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG