Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trading in a Fifth Wheel for a Class A
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Trading in a Fifth Wheel for a Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/18 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blaster Man wrote:

mtrumpet wrote:

Reading through some of the responses, a factor could be if you're going from a Fifth Wheel to a Class A GASSER or DP.

Exactly. We went from a 38' fifth wheel pulled by a diesel dually to a 40' DP and then a 45' DP with a tag. Certainly no stability or ride issues with either DP. Also both have 15,000 # tow capacity as well as plenty of space.

I would look for a quality used DP.

2014 American Eagle

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/18 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtrumpet wrote:

Reading through some of the responses, a factor could be if you're going from a Fifth Wheel to a Class A GASSER or DP.

Another factor is the OP has kids. Some of the responders were just couples. In general Class A floor plans are less kid friendly

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/18 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm guessing the 5er had opposing slides providing a bunkroom for the 4 kids. Most A's wont have more than 2 single bunks, after that your looking at sofa's, dinettes, and a cab over bunk, all of which make your living area unusable when some are trying to sleep.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/18 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps look at a super-C, like a Dynamax. They're lile a A diesel but with a truck front end. Some, I've heard, can sleep 9.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

Itasca55

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/18 03:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's acouple things not mentioned that need to be . Like wife making pop corn in microwave going down the road. Getting you sandwitch etc .. roof air on going down the road
Your up higher in the seat you can see better. Leveling is a push of a button . 5 th wheel to class A is abig difference. Far as ride it should be better in class a if it's not there's issues. Springs, over weight, air bags leaking etc . Only thing that's different is the wind catch's motorhome more . But with good alignment tires and good shocks is key. Having generator on tap is pretty nice . Longer the wheelbase the better ride going down the road . My 2 cents .

Itasca55

If your needing kid room in classA look at a Monaco they full side slide outs .

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/18 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itasca55 wrote:

There's acouple things not mentioned that need to be . Like wife making pop corn in microwave going down the road. Getting you sandwitch etc .. roof air on going down the road
Your up higher in the seat you can see better. Leveling is a push of a button . 5 th wheel to class A is abig difference. Far as ride it should be better in class a if it's not there's issues. Springs, over weight, air bags leaking etc . Only thing that's different is the wind catch's motorhome more . But with good alignment tires and good shocks is key. Having generator on tap is pretty nice . Longer the wheelbase the better ride going down the road . My 2 cents .

Itasca55

If your needing kid room in classA look at a Monaco they full side slide outs .

It's not as simple as just more space. Do class A's have bunk rooms not just beds dedicated for kids?

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/18 04:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting opinions on this subject. We had tag behinds and a fiver we loved for 14 years. I decided to go from a fiver to dp Monaco 40 ft. A Class A does afford some advantages to your passengers as to getting a snack or hitting the head. For the driver you have to stop to do the head thing. What we found was the new fivers afford much more room when you get to your destination. So I sold the mh and we purchased a fifth wheel and a new dually. My 3/4 ton was not quite enough truck to handle it. Our fiver has auto level so setting up is not that much more than the Class A, yes a little more but not enough to bother me.
Bottom line, different strokes for different folks and it will be your decision to live with.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/18 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the 4kids makes the 5er make more sense. Yeah when traveling the kids can spread out a bit more in the MH but you need to pull a big toad at which point the 4door pickup would already serve that purpose.

Most higher end MH's that could pull a big TOAD are laid out for a retired couple. There seem to be a lot more bunkhouse options in 5ers.

Another issue to consider is how long to you expect to keep the rig? If the kids are in their teens, odds are in a year or two, they will start thinning out as they start leaving the nest. Take a hard look at if they will really continue to camp with you once they head of to college (or even late highschool). Everyone wants to believe they will want to travel with you but realistically, most teen/early20's kids will take few if any trips with Mom & Dad.

A final thought: Assuming the kids have drivers licenses and are reasonably responsible, you don't necessarily need a TOAD. The kids could simply drive the other vehicle, so a van or suburban that conveniently handles 6 plus the dogs is easy.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

mtrumpet

Hamburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/18 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given all of the variables discussed here, I think that for the OP's situation, sticking with the 5th Wheel that they already have is the more practical way to go.

Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/18 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny we just went to our local RV dealer over the weekend looking at new fifth wheels thinking about going the other way. Trading the class A off for a fifth wheel. Definitely have a lot more room in a fifth wheel. Both have advantages and disadvantages I guess.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Trading in a Fifth Wheel for a Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS