Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trading in a Fifth Wheel for a Class A
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Trading in a Fifth Wheel for a Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/18 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are numerous class A's with floor plans that can equal a fiver. We had 4 fivers and will never go back. The ride is way more comfortable and relaxing in DP MH's. I feel way safer driving the MH than I ever did in the pickup fiver Combo, and we had a one ton dually. It can rock a bit going down or up a drive but that's the extent of rocking. There's only so much you can do to get a comfortable ride in a pickup pulling a fiver, and yes it's a big difference in a good DP class A.

My maintenance costs are under 1000 per year. Most under 600. But I do have tires and batteries down the line to do. That'll be a spend. We've had ours 5 years.

jfkbunkie

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/18 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of great responses to my question - thanks!

A quick follow-up:

Yes, we recognize that we won't be traveling as a family of 6 as the kids grow up (one is already in college). In fact, even if we stay with a 5ver, we'll trade up to a floorplan with fewer dedicated beds in favor of improving the size and quality of the living space. Also, thanks to several of your replies, I definitely understand now that a DP on a good chassis is worth the additional cost.

But one very big question that remains is regarding the suitability of a big Class A for national park camping. I've noticed that campsites larger than 30 feet are pretty scarce, and even fewer are stated to be suitable for 35 and 40-ft equipment. Most Class A rigs are around 35 ft. Can anyone comment on their experiences in that respect?

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/18 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

There are numerous class A's with floor plans that can equal a fiver. We had 4 fivers and will never go back. The ride is way more comfortable and relaxing in DP MH's. I feel way safer driving the MH than I ever did in the pickup fiver Combo, and we had a one ton dually. It can rock a bit going down or up a drive but that's the extent of rocking. There's only so much you can do to get a comfortable ride in a pickup pulling a fiver, and yes it's a big difference in a good DP class A.

My maintenance costs are under 1000 per year. Most under 600. But I do have tires and batteries down the line to do. That'll be a spend. We've had ours 5 years.

While I can't say they do not exist I have yet to see a Class A with a dedicated bunk room.
Not just bunk beds in the hallway or off to the side , but an actual room large enough for the kids to hang out in and close the door!

2019 Duramax w/hips,12 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/18 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

et2 wrote:

I respect everyone's opinion but we feel much safer and the ride is so much better in our dually than the motor home. I was raised on a farm and still live there. Large vehicles do not intimidate me and I ever had a problem with our dp Monaco. But our F-350 feels much more stable even with the 40 foot fiver behind it. That is just how we feel and I know everyone feels different. If I had not owned one for a while I would not say anything but that is just my opinion.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/18 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class C to a 5er then a class A gas to a older Class A DP

By far I like my DP the best out of them. The 5er was great when the kids were young with there own rear bunk room. My gas Class A ride sucked.
My next will most likely be a real small A or one of those Mercedes

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

bgrasspkr

NW Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/18 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost the same situation here. First RV was a 37 ft TT with a rear bunkhose, ( 4 bunks ) Great for our 3 young children at the time ( 3,2, and a newborn.)

Then went to a small 5th wheel with a double bunk on the back wall. Still no problem cause the youngest slept on the pullout couch.

Jump ahead to last year. Kids are now 16, 15, and 13. Did not camp the year before, and had sold the truck and fifth wheel. Starting thinking about the benefits of a motor home, and researched for MONTHS!

Here is what you NEED to think about. I don't know how old your kids are, but at age 13 or 14, ( especially boys ) forget about the bunkhouse. Whether its a TT, 5er or MH, most are approx 74 inches long( except the 1.5 wide models) with no where to hang off the ends! So about 5 ft 6in or so is about the tallest they'll be comfortable.

The only A class we could fit everybody comfortably were the ones with the drop-down sleeper bunks over the cab. This is relatively new feature, and only offered on a few brands.

In a C-class, I needed the overhead bunk, a foldown couch, AND a super size dinette.( perfect folded down to fit my 6 ft tall oldest son) However, the ones I looked at did not have any storage space for any clothing.

I ended up finding the PERFECT rig for us. A 2008 Gulf stream Conquest Super C. I LOVE it!! Big Kodiak frame, 8.1 Chevy Vortec ( what a motor ). super size dinette, LOTS of storage in the rear bedroom for extra clothes, huge carrying capacity, etc,etc. Plus it only had 5K miles and was garaged every winter.

Think ahead a few years, cause as you know, if your gonna sell, make sure if your financing, your not upside down.

Good Luck! btw I absolutely LOVE the way this thing drives. Prefer it over the 5th wheel, and ESPECIALLY the TT!!

jfkbunkie

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/18 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're closing in on a decision (I think). Might actually go for a new (!) 36-ft DP. Trying to make the numbers work.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/18 11:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkbunkie wrote:

But one very big question that remains is regarding the suitability of a big Class A for national park camping. I've noticed that campsites larger than 30 feet are pretty scarce, and even fewer are stated to be suitable for 35 and 40-ft equipment. Most Class A rigs are around 35 ft. Can anyone comment on their experiences in that respect?

We've stayed in many national parks.... and also national forest campgrounds, Corp of Engineers, state parks, county and city parks with our 40' motorhome without reservations; without any issues.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

deprived

Earth

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/18 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 dog nights wrote:

... rocking and sway. MH's are not as stable as a duelly...

You can get rid of a lot of these issues by upgrading sways bars, trac-bars, sumo springs, Koni shocks, etc. Pricey but worth it!

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/18 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm eyeing the same change with the biggest reason being the driving experience. Once you arrive somewhere it's hard to beat the functionality of the 5th wheel floor plan. But, wife and kids HATE just sitting in the truck. Being able to sit at a table or on a couch, or just look out the huge front window is just such a different experience.

Lots of good info here for sure. One thing I'd add is that the newer gas coaches seem to be a lot better than the older ones in terms of power. In 2016 the Ford F53 chassis went to a 6spd tranny which gets great reviews. Of course, the 5K towing capacity is very limiting. Also, finding a vehicle that can be flat towed is a challenge. The only two with auto-trannys I've found are a Chevy Equinox and Ford Edge (V6 only).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Trading in a Fifth Wheel for a Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS