cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SWM Upgrade

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
I am finally upgrading to Direct TV SWM on Wednesday (actually have an installer) and have all the gear (SWM8 module, Power Inserter, Splitter if needed) as well as new 4-cable bundle for the topside connections. Doing it so I can use my home Genie and cancel RV account. In the RV I have the 2011-era HR24 DVR for front TV and a 2nd receiver-only for bedroom TV. In the house I have the Genie plus a C61K-700 box for a 2nd TV.

Although we rarely watch the 2nd RV TV..will the SWM "handle" a 2nd TV or do I need the 2nd house box (or anther piece of gear) to use the 2nd RV TV? The 2nd RV TV is not HD (never had need to upgrade).

I assume installer can locate wire to connect 2nd RV TV in the rear, but is there a wireless option too? One of my stick-house friends has some wireless connections on his other TV's, but I think he has to pay extra.

Hank
2005 Mandalay DP
Winegard Travel'r SK-3005
5 REPLIES 5

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
hanknjoyce wrote:
I am finally upgrading to Direct TV SWM on Wednesday (actually have an installer) and have all the gear (SWM8 module, Power Inserter, Splitter if needed) as well as new 4-cable bundle for the topside connections. Doing it so I can use my home Genie and cancel RV account. In the RV I have the 2011-era HR24 DVR for front TV and a 2nd receiver-only for bedroom TV. In the house I have the Genie plus a C61K-700 box for a 2nd TV.

Although we rarely watch the 2nd RV TV..will the SWM "handle" a 2nd TV or do I need the 2nd house box (or anther piece of gear) to use the 2nd RV TV? The 2nd RV TV is not HD (never had need to upgrade).

I assume installer can locate wire to connect 2nd RV TV in the rear, but is there a wireless option too? One of my stick-house friends has some wireless connections on his other TV's, but I think he has to pay extra.

Hank
2005 Mandalay DP
Winegard Travel'r SK-3005

For HD on both TV's you are going to want to have 2 receivers (Genie and client or Genie and another DTV receiver/DVR. If you only want to use the Genie and you want HD on both TV's you would need to install an HDMI splitter and run a new HDMI cable from the Genie/Main TV to the 2nd TV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW DTV has published equipment placement restrictions for wireless Genies and RV space limitations make a more constrictive environment. ie This includes interference with non DTV WiFi.

So check it out for your equipment.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clarification: Both my house and RV have full sized DTV SWM dishes which I understand has 8 channel capability on one coax.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the rig you should be able to use the Genie, SWM splitter and HR24 configured for SWM. Or the Genie, video bridge and Genie client.

We move the HR44 from house to rig, no Genie client. For a period of time I had the HR24, HR44 and SWM splitter connected. And that gave me 7 channel recording. Plus I could view the HR44 recorded channels on the HR24. Connect the HR24 in your house as a test.

Bob

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
If your using or getting an HR44 or HR54 Genie, they support wireless minis, so all you need is to take your Genie, a mini for each TV after your main one and the Video bridge. You likely will never get a Direct employee or contractor to wire your RV. Its not hard to do, you just need to duplicate what they do in your house in your RV.
I think your misunderstanding what you need for your RV. From the Travler, once converted to SWM is a single coax from the turret to the power supply. The other three coax that were connected to the turret will no longer be used. So you can cut them off and discard them.