Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Problem

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

Last night our 9 year old Papillon Sandi hurt herself trying to jump on the couch (which she never does, she usually will bark and whine until the DW of I pick her up). We had her at the Vet first thing this morning and it looks like she had another herniated disc. She already had one in her upper neck but this new one is causing partial paralysis.

Our Vet put her on Steroids, pain meds and a muscle relaxer. Hopefully we will see some change in a couple of days.

I do have a question for those of you that have had Pups with Back or Hip problems. I've heard of people using a towel or something else to help support their backside so they can go Potty. I've tried holding her backend up but so far no luck. The Vet did say if I have not seen any peeing or BM but noon tomorrow, to call them right away which I will do. I just think that if I can make her a little more comfortable she might at least pee.

My problem is I have a very bad back and I'm having a really hard time bending over to hold her up.

So, any and all ideas are welcome I'm just not sure what would be best for a 14 pound little Pup.

Thanks Everyone
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona
6 REPLIES 6

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
After our doxie, Morgan, had back surgery for IVDD the physical therapist had us this to support his back end while walking:
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/15915933745960521053_5811426815104768932_8175035?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,4164936&utm_campaign=8175035
The nice thing is you can cut it to whatever length needed so you can walk without bending over.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BizmarksMom, that's what we are praying for! It just kills me that she is one of the most loving Pup that I've ever met. She can be laying there in pain but still wants to give you kisses.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I've taken care of a foster dog who did that to his back. You are right on with the sling - and make a long enough handle that you don't hurt your own back! I found some left over rope to extend the sling handles so that I could stand upright and help the 60# dog.

Crouton - my foster - did make a full recovery with support, enforced quiet time, and steroids. It does work. It just takes time.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I found a Tire Sling that I use on my Car Hauler and wrapped a soft towel around the middle of it.

She did not wnt to stand even with that but hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. If she does not pee, she will have to go back to the vet!

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Since you need an immediate answer I think that your only option is to use a towel or even a wide belt around her rear in front of the legs to give her a little support. I had to do that with our 80lb Lab. For a more permanent solution Amazon sells dog supports that go around the belly and Velcro on top with a handle. I don't know if they make one small enough for a 14 lb. dog.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
You might look for CBD dog treats. Yes, pot! Yesterday I say dog treats, and I would have to guess they might help.