cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cherokee KOA best route

nancysjackson63
Explorer
Explorer
We will be camping at the Cherokee KOA in August. Our camper is a 30 Foot travel trailer. The KOA website said NOT to travel Hwy 19. What is the best route to travel? We live in the Eastern North Carolina area and will be starting out on Hwy 40. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

โš Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" at the top?
    Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for how-to question related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, go to the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM POSTING HELP AND SUPPORT
4 REPLIES 4

dolbsss
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out from Cherokee KOA last year I felt adventurous and drove the Blue ridge parkway to 19, through Maggie Valley and then onto 74. I have a 2500 HD, a 31' TT and a lot of nerve, LOL. I wouldn't recommend it if you're squeamish but wow was that a beautiful drive. I pulled off at a bunch of overlooks to enjoy the views. Mind you I drive a trailer every day with that truck so I "knew" what I was doing.

Side note: about halfway between the campground and Cherokee shopping area on Big Cove road is a very nice roadside firewood seller. This guy had it organized into types of wood and it was $10/wagon. I loaded up big time there and got through 9 nights with the wood I had.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
74 is the Smoky Mountain Expressway, exit 27 on I-40. 74 to 441 is the only other way into Cherokee. Its still in the mountains. Not as steep and twisty as 19 but its mountains. I hope you have some experience with mountain driving and using your transmission to slow your decent on the down hill and rev the RPM's on the up hill. I have been on both roads. A good driver experienced in mountain driving can do 19. If you have doubts then go 74 to 441.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Right- 19 from Maggie valley to Cherokee is steep and twisty. You could take 74 to 441.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I would call the campground and ask them about the roads coming in from the route you will be taking. Taking advice from people that don't live there can get you into big trouble when pulling a trailer or driving a big vehicle.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW