cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare bearing question..

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just because I like to be prepared.. How do you determine the bearing size for your axles so as to keep a spare set on board? I suppose I could take the hub off and measure with a caliper but, there's got to be an easier way.
26 REPLIES 26

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Last year I swapped my drums for disks and in the process replaced the bearings with the same low cost "junk" from China. Previous service was TEN years ago and probably 40,000 miles on the same bearings.
The point is if you carry a spare they will never fail ๐Ÿ˜‰

In the last TEN years, maybe even cheaper junk has made its way into trailer parts. I know that my cheap junk Chinese bearings had manufacturing defects that caused failure, and you read it here before. Do whatever makes you happy, but you are aware that others had problems and you discount whatever they report.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year I swapped my drums for disks and in the process replaced the bearings with the same low cost "junk" from China. Previous service was TEN years ago and probably 40,000 miles on the same bearings.
The point is if you carry a spare they will never fail ๐Ÿ˜‰

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Just an observation BUT ... surely by now the RV industry could be using bearings that don't need any servicing at all, just as the automotive industry does. Sure, any car / truck bearing could fail but it's pretty rare, I've had but one bearing fail on all the vehicles I've ever owned for the last 50 years, and when it did fail it wasn't a matter of life or death, replace it now or else. It just got noisy so the service manager said to just bring the truck in at my convenience, in the meantime I could continue to drive it, no biggie ... so why are we still dealing with this nonsense with our trailers? Good grief, is it not time we can have tires that don't blow up at a moment's notice for no apparent reason and bearings that don't fail during the lifetime of the trailer?! :M
Lippert had them, my TT came with them. Dexter (last I looked) still makes them. They were considered a premium upgrade.

Around 2014 I lost a wheel when the sealed bearings failed. I wrote about it here at that time. I called Lippert and was told that they no longer made those axles or any parts for them. They offered me a buy one get one free deal on replacement axles. After looking around (The Dexter sealed bearings are very close to the same) I could not beat the deal they offered me. I really did not want the remaining axle since it was an orphan. So I ended up replacing my 5200# axles with 7000# axles at a very good price.
I always like to upgrade whenever I have a failure.

I never want sealed bearings when I can avoid them. I had a buddy that had sealed bearings on his 5er and had a wheel fail on the way to the beach. I'd rather have a bearing that I can service/lube. I have had two old Harleys that had tapered roller bearings. I lubed (re-packed) them with every tire change and after 100,000 miles they looked brand new. Heck, the old 1988 FLHTC had nearly 200,000 miles on those bearings and they were still in great shape.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
While I have never had a hub/bearing unit fail, I really don't trust them either. I have never had a bearing failure on a conventional opposed tapered roller bearing setup on a car or truck either, and they didn't get repacked all that often, every 30K to 50K mi if they were lucky.

I'll stick with what the axle people are building now. Why replace a hub when it only needs bearings?

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
You want to be able to change a failed bearing on the road.
Sure way to know you can is to change one at home.
And, of course, in the process you could look at the numbers and measure, too.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Just an observation BUT ... surely by now the RV industry could be using bearings that don't need any servicing at all, just as the automotive industry does. Sure, any car / truck bearing could fail but it's pretty rare, I've had but one bearing fail on all the vehicles I've ever owned for the last 50 years, and when it did fail it wasn't a matter of life or death, replace it now or else. It just got noisy so the service manager said to just bring the truck in at my convenience, in the meantime I could continue to drive it, no biggie ... so why are we still dealing with this nonsense with our trailers? Good grief, is it not time we can have tires that don't blow up at a moment's notice for no apparent reason and bearings that don't fail during the lifetime of the trailer?! :M
Lippert had them, my TT came with them. Dexter (last I looked) still makes them. They were considered a premium upgrade.

Around 2014 I lost a wheel when the sealed bearings failed. I wrote about it here at that time. I called Lippert and was told that they no longer made those axles or any parts for them. They offered me a buy one get one free deal on replacement axles. After looking around (The Dexter sealed bearings are very close to the same) I could not beat the deal they offered me. I really did not want the remaining axle since it was an orphan. So I ended up replacing my 5200# axles with 7000# axles at a very good price.
I always like to upgrade whenever I have a failure.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just bought a new Viking 17RD and the first thing I do to it will be installing Timkin bearings. It is worth it for my piece of minds. Pretty cheap insurance.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I had no problem getting USA Timken from Summit Racing. I would guess that some sizes will be made in other countries, but a good brand probably has some semblance of quality control, unlike the cheap, self-destruct Chinese bearings that came with my Dexter drums from eTrailer.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
TIMKEN.

Go to a bearing house and buy genuine made in USA Timken bearings/

Skip the made in China bearings.

Pretty hard to do now days.
I had no problem getting US-made ones here in Canada. I just told the industrial supply house that's what I wanted and they told me that's all they get and they arrived in under 2 days.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
TIMKEN.

Pretty hard to do now days.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TIMKEN.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Get the numbers off the bearings. Only way to be sure.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
myredracer wrote:
Best way to be 100% certain is to get the numbers off the bearings. Our axles are allegedly 4400 lbs and I had trouble finding the right bearings. Turns out the bearings are 5200 lbs (or maybe 6000 lbs, can't recall).

Pretty sure those are all those axles are the same size bearings!

That's what I was led to believe but not in my case. Been to long to remember the details tho. I ended up taking the old bearings to an industrial bearing supplier and they ordered the right ones. The local RV bearing supplier that the dealers here use was of no help.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I would just pull one and check the numbers. I screwed myself over last month by preordering brake shoes for a 3500lb Dexter axle. Thought they were the standard 10x2.25, nope they are 10x1.5.